How do you know the Bible is the inspired, inerrant Word of God?

…con’t from the thread:

"Why do Protestants say Catholicism leads to hell? " for “myfavoritmartin” in particular.

If you think about that, it’s actually a bit of a logical inconsistency. I would venture to guess that your main issue with the Church comes down to authority.

The Koran states very plainly that it is the inspired Word of God. Do you believe the Koran is the inspired Word of God because the Koran says it is? You don’t, do you? If, in this post, I claimed that this post was the inspired Word of God, would you believe it? After all, the post says the post is the inspired Word of God. But, you wouldn’t believe that, would you? Of course not.

If you don’t believe my post is the inspired Word of God, even if it said it was; and you don’t believe the Koran is the inspired Word of God, even though it says it is, then why do you believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God simply because the Bible says so?

What I’m hoping to do here is make you realize that you are actually not relying just upon the Bible in your belief that the Bible is the Word of God, but also upon some authority other than the Bible itself. There has to be some authority, outside of the Bible, that confirms the Bible is what we think it is – the inspired, inerrant Word of God.

The Bible says that “all Scripture is God-breathed.” But, what is Scripture? How do we know, for example, that the Gospel of Mark is Scripture? The Bible never tells us that it is. The Gospel of Mark never says it is Scripture. It never says it is the inspired Word of God. So, how do we know it is? Yes, all Scripture is God-breathed, but how do we know what is and is not Scripture? Who told you? Who told me? How do you know who wrote Mark? The title, “The Gospel of Mark,” is not inspired Scripture – it was put in there by the publisher. So, who wrote Mark? If someone named Mark actually wrote the Gospel of Mark, then which Mark wrote Mark?

Now, you might say it doesn’t matter who wrote Mark. But it does. It actually matters a great deal. The Gospel of Mark is inspired Scripture, if and only if the writer of the Gospel of Mark was inspired by the Holy Spirit when he wrote it. But, if we don’t know which Mark wrote Mark, then how can we know that it is inspired Scripture? None of these questions are answered by the Bible itself. Which means, we got the answer to those questions from somewhere else…but where?

The question of where we got the Bible, is actually a central question to the Christian Faith. All Christians need to realize this. And, when all Christians do realize this, it will work towards greater unity amongst the various Christian faith traditions. The books of the New Testament were written separately over a period of anywhere from 40-60 years or so after the death of Jesus. They were written in different places, at different times, and sent to different people in different cities throughout the ancient Roman Empire. How did these different books and letters come to be regarded as Scripture? How did they find their way into what we now call the Bible? Who put the Bible together as we have it today? This is important because if we cannot trust the veracity of the folks who put together the Bible, then we cannot trust the veracity of the Bible itself. That’s why these questions are so important.

It was given by God, and yes for lack of a better term…It fell out of the sky. Scripture backs this.

Really? Prove that Scripture says it “fell out of the sky.”

If you don’t believe my post is the inspired Word of God, even if it said it was; and you don’t believe the Koran is the inspired Word of God, even though it says it is, then why do you believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God simply because the Bible says so?

You said well “inspired Word of God”, and not the verbatim word of God

The muslims are the only one that claims the Koran to be the verbatim word of God…not catholicism

It was not the Bible who created Roman Catholicism, but it was the RCC who made the bible by Holy Spirit assistance and according to traditions and magesterium, i.e., all the teachings passed generation to generation, all the Fathers of the Church…the predecessors of the Pope…etc…

Outside the Church there is no Bible, only the Church can interpret correctly the bible, because the writings can KILL YOU

Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
2 Corinthians, 3-6

I couldn’t agree more!

First let me prove the NT is scripture, James was writing his own book and called it scripture. He says, “Do you think the scripture speak to no purpose” in James 4:5. He calls his own books, book James, scripture. Paul reading the law of God, the Old Testament, said the law is holy, just and good. He affirms the holiness, the perfection of God’s law, the Old Testament. Jude quotes Peter as scripture. Peter quotes Paul as scripture. And John quotes himself as scripture. John just finished writing the letters to the churches, he says let the churches hear what the Spirit says. John knew he was writing what the Spirit was saying, not what he was saying. The Bible is not some high level of human genius.

Fall out of the sky?
SURE it did…
According to James 1:17
Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow.

I’d say Holy scripture qualifies as a good and perfect gift as it is Gods word, wouldn’t you?

That didn’t prove that the NT is Scripture. Why do you believe James? Do you believe this post is the inspired word of God if I say that it is? Why not? I don’t want to keep repeating myself here. Maybe you should read the first post again and process it a little bit more.

How do we know that the Koran or the Book of Mormon or Dianetics is NOT scripture and God’s holy word?

Do you take that literally to mean falling from the sky like raindrops?

I most definitely would!

Really?
Yet the Lord can choose a jackass
to be a teacher of His word, you think only your church has the proper inspiration to interpret?

I’d say more likely on the wings of a dove symbollically…:wink:

They’re not inerrant.

I wonder who decided which writings would be rejected as inspired - quite a few were rejected by someone, somewhere.

“All good giving and every perfect gift” may be a proverb written in hexameter.

Hexameter is a literary and poetic form, consisting of six metrical feet per line as in the Iliad. It was the standard epic metre in Greek and became standard for Latin too. It was also used in other types of composition – in Horace’s satires, for instance, and Ovid’s Metamorphoses. In Greek mythology, hexameter was invented by Phemonoe.

Tatian doesn’t seem to have agreed with the popular Roman Catholic claim that we need an infallible ruling from the Roman Catholic hierarchy to identify scripture for us:

He had this to say…Maybe it’ll shine some light for you.

“I sought how I might be able to discover the truth. And, while I was giving my most earnest attention to the matter, I happened to meet with certain barbaric writings [the scriptures], too old to be compared with the opinions of the Greeks, and too divine to be compared with their errors; and I was led to put faith in these by the unpretending ease of the language, the inartificial character of the writers, the foreknowledge displayed of future events, the excellent quality of the precepts, and the declaration of the government of the universe as centred in one Being. And, my soul being taught of God, I discern that the former class of writings lead to condemnation, but that these put an end to the slavery that is in the world, and rescue us from a multiplicity of rulers and ten thousand tyrants, while they give us, not indeed what we had not before received, but what we had received but were prevented by error from retaining.” (Address to the Greeks, 29)

Why not? They say that they are just as you claim the Bible says it is. Why do you believe one and not the other?

Because my friend scripture tells me that faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God…I delved into the scriptures and came out a born again Christian with no doubt of where my standing was with the Lord. My faith came by the word and thats proof enough for me. I sought His face in His written word and He answered.

Oh, I see, you mean you decide yourself which are inspired?

myfavoritmartin…The fact is the Catholic Church guided by the Holy Spirit decided which books were the inspired, inerrant Word of God and compiled them into the Bible as we have it today. Although your protestant Bible doesn’t have all of those inspired, inerrant books. You rely on that authority of the Catholic Church whether you realize it or not. That same authority guided by the same Holy Spirit has determined such dogmas as the Immaculate Conception, the Assumption, Purgatory, Sacred Tradition just to name a few, yet you reject them. Why do you accept the authority of the Church pertaining to the Canon of Scripture but not its authority on all of its dogmas if it is the same Holy Spirit that guided it in determining the Canon of Scripture? Was the Holy Spirit right in one instance and wrong in another?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.