How do you know when to listen to your fears, as opposed to facing them?

When our fear tells us to avoid a person or situation, how do we know whether to listen to it, or face it head-on? Sometimes our fear is right, as in the case of walking into a lion’s den. But other times it prevents us from growing. How do we know the difference? Does the Bible have anything to say about this?

The Bible has a lot to say about fear.
Here are a couple of mentions:
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7

“Peace is what I leave with you; it is my own peace that I give you. I do not give it as the world does. Do not be worried and upset; do not be afraid.” John 14:27

You can pray for wisdom if you are unsure about what to do. And sometimes we are told to step out in faith, knowing that God will close doors or open them according to his will.

It kind of depends on what situation you are considering, We have to use common sense as well.

We are not to confront every fear. Fear is part of our bodies’ defense mechanism; to ignore or force around it is like taping over the car’s engine light.

It depends upon the person and his limitations, as well as his objectives and the situation. If someone wants to travel but has a fear of flight, this might be worth overcoming. Conversely, doing something dangerous just for the sake of doing it, or to impress others, one might do better to listen to his fears.

ICXC NIKA

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.