How do you know which Novena to pray?

Not yet Catholic here needs help.

How do you know exactly which Novena you should pray?

Does anyone have a link to a website that could help me?

Or do I just choose a Novena that just feels right?

Pardon my ignorance…:shrug:

Dana

Hello Dana,

A novena is prayer for nine consecutive days and is usually chosen for a specific need that can be either personal or for someone else. It would depend on the need which novena you choose because the words are directed in accord with your prayer purpose. You don’t need to use a composed formula available in many prayer books, but one’s own words are suitable as well, but prayed for nine days.

We need to guard against the superstition that ‘my novena’ will be answered after the ninth day, to the affirmative, and if it is not, there will be deep disappointment and loss of faith in novenas altogether.

There are a good many written novenas to help us form our intention and stay focused for our petition. Our parish is presently involved in one to St. Anne, mother of Mary, since her feast is on July 26th. The Altar Society at our church has chosen her for their patroness, so each year they publicly pray for special needs. I would guess that there is more than one composition for a novena to St. Anne, but the one they use is a little archaic and sentimental, so I am not inclined to pray it with them. If I were to invoke her intercession, I would use my own words or look for another novena.

Many novenas are prayed nine days before a certain feast day celebrated in the Church, as I noted with St. Anne. Our Blessed Mother is often invoked prior to her feasts, and so is the Holy Spirit just before Pentecost, for a couple of examples.

I hope this is helpful for you. :slight_smile:

There aren’t any hard and fast rules as to choosing an appropriate Novena, really. Any that appeals to you is good.

Having said that, there are saints who have been declared (or more informally adopted) as patrons of various causes, professions, places and so on. So depending on your need you may like to choose a saint related to the cause you’re praying about.

Or if you know an important feastday (such as Christmas, Easter, Pentecost, the Feast of the Assumption or some saint’s day) is coming up or has just been, you might choose a novena appropriate to the occasion

This is a great link showing who is patron of what. And this has to be one of the most comprehensive collections of novenas I’ve ever come across. Of course you can always just google the word ‘novena’ and the name of the saint or feast day and see what happens.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.