How do you prove the Catholic God is the true God?

HI!

I was wondering if anyone here could offer some help so that I can offer some definite argument or proof to a friend to show her that the Catholic God is the true God.

How can we show her or help her arrive at this conclusion?

Any help of input would be apreciated.

salival

Could you please provide the alternative? Is your friend an athiest, Lutheran, Southern Baptist, Hindu, etc.? As there are a number of converts on this site, this specific will get you “taylor-made” info.

God Bless,
RyanL

[quote=salival]HI!

I was wondering if anyone here could offer some help so that I can offer some definite argument or proof to a friend to show her that the Catholic God is the true God.

salival
[/quote]

No earthly power can ‘prove’ that to her. Only the grace of God can reveal it through the Holy Spirit.

Ask her to pray from the heart for this revalation and God will reveal it to her.

[quote=salival]HI!

salival
[/quote]

Hey, just for understanding, I think the appropriately (and maybe I’m wrong), but God is NOT Catholic as we could never place such a limitation on what God is. God is GOD, we just have a “Catholic” understanding of him, which is limited, but the fullness of what has been revealed to Christianity as a whole.

[quote=Superstar905]Hey, just for understanding, I think the appropriately (and maybe I’m wrong), but God is NOT Catholic as we could never place such a limitation on what God is. God is GOD, we just have a “Catholic” understanding of him, which is limited, but the fullness of what has been revealed to Christianity as a whole.
[/quote]

Yes, I know that. But im refering to the Catholic God to avoid any confusiion and to limit the discussion to Catholicism.

salival

[quote=RyanL]Could you please provide the alternative? Is your friend an athiest, Lutheran, Southern Baptist, Hindu, etc.? As there are a number of converts on this site, this specific will get you “taylor-made” info.

God Bless,
RyanL
[/quote]

She is an atheist.

Hello Salival. For me the closest earthly proof of God is to consider the actions of the Apostles before and after Pentecost.

Before: Scared, cowering men who deny Christ out of fear for their own lives.

After: 11 of 12 die horrible deaths spreading the Word of the same Christ they earlier denied.

To me, that’s proof!:smiley:

[quote=iamrefreshed]Hello Salival. For me the closest earthly proof of God is to consider the actions of the Apostles before and after Pentecost.

Before: Scared, cowering men who deny Christ out of fear for their own lives.

After: 11 of 12 die horrible deaths spreading the Word of the same Christ they earlier denied.

To me, that’s proof!:smiley:
[/quote]

Well that didn’t work, he claimed that many die for their beliefs but that that does not makes their beliefs true.

Is there some other way to prove that the Catholic Gos is the true God? Like say from a metaphysical perspective? Any apologists here that can help?

salival

[quote=Fergal]No earthly power can ‘prove’ that to her. Only the grace of God can reveal it through the Holy Spirit.

Ask her to pray from the heart for this revalation and God will reveal it to her.
[/quote]

Exactly…we can argue with reason, but as far as definitave proof that will make her believe–that we can’t give because though faith is not void of reason faith requires more than reason (i.e. the mysteries of the faith)

I disagree with the Scholastics here who assert that God’s existence may be deductively proven to anyone in our somatic level of exitence. God’s transendence is profound. Our minds can’t get to “there” from “here.”

HOWEVER, I believe that inside of this Bible typology I like to focus on in this site is a non-COMPELLING but nonetheless CONVINCING argument that the Catholic God “IS.” However, seeing that argument takes work. Few – even few Catholics – are interested in doing the work. They want the evidence to be spoon fed to their face. They don’t even want to do any chewing.

Somewhere is Scripture there is a wistful question by the Holy Spirit: “Will they lift up the food we have given them and put it in their mouths?”

[quote=salival]HI!

salival
[/quote]

I’ve scanned the whole thread and see that your friend is an atheist. Do you know why she is, or claims to be an atheist?

What you want is to help your friend, not win an argument, right? So, you will have to probe a bit to try to find out when, where, how and why she became an atheist before you can answer her question, which sounds like one of those “just try to prove it to me but I won’t accept it anyway” kinds of questions to me, unless I am greatly mistaken.

Btw, one of the things that convinced me that Catholicism was the truth was that it doesn’t serve up pat answers to the complexities of life. The Catholic faith is rich and varied because the human experience is too–it tells us about what is real not just what we’d like to believe, which is why those who don’t want to face the truth often don’t want to believe it.

** How do you prove the Catholic God is the true God?**

The Catholic God being the true God is something that becomes rather obvious after taking a brieft look at history. The Catholic God is the only God that is actually grounded in history and has a continuous unbroken tradition of, dare I say…5000 or so thousand years? And continues to this day. It is the only God that has always claimed since the begining to be universal and trascendent instead of local and bound to space/time.

Many like to bring contenders to the table, but under closer examination they simply do not hold a candle against the Catholic God. The pagan dieties are nothing more than personificatiosn of human atributes, the very idea of polytheism is self-contradictory and besides most of the pagan gods claimed to live in some place on earth, so why don’t we see them when we go there?.

Some bring islam into the table, but it is a false religion and easily shown to be. You just need to look at how much the quran contradicts The Bible.

As far as protestant denominations go, history is your friend here.

Anyway, this is quite a big task and the person you are talking to will bring up more and more objections to God, no matter how much evidence you present. But good luck anyway.

Valz

I know it’s been said before, but just to add my .02 cents in, I don’t think the “Catholic” God is the true God. God is the great I AM, the same God the Jewish people worshipped and still do worship, and the same God to came to earth as man to save humanity.I know the term “Catholic God” is being used so that conversation focuses on the Catholic Church, and I respect that.

But I’d also like to clarify something, Salival. Your friend is an atheist. She isn’t looking for a religion, and she isn’t wondering what denomination’s “right”. If she’s wanting to talk about religion with you, then that means she’s wavering in her own atheistic thinking and that God’s knocking on her heart, wanting in. What your friend very probably DOES wonder is, “does a God exist? Does this God care about us? Why should I care about this God? Is there even a remote chance that Jesus is who He says He is?”

Your friend needs to be met exactly where she is, and that’s in “search mode”. You need to know how she got to where she is. She needs to know about God, and she needs to know about Jesus, before she’ll EVER need to speculate over which denomination’s portrayal of Him is closest.

God bless you as you keep on talking to her and sharing ideas. :slight_smile:

salival:

Well that didn’t work, he claimed that many die for their beliefs but that that does not makes their beliefs true.

True. Many people do die for their beliefs, even beliefs that are false. However, I think it would be very difficult to find someone who knew a belief was false and still died for it. If the Apostles had made up all of that stuff about Jesus, I doubt that all eleven of them would have been willing to die for it. Christians who are willing to die for their faith today do so based on a very strong belief that Christianity is true, but ultimately their knowledge is based on the experiences of others. The Apostles knew Christ personally, had seen what He had done, had seen Him after His death and had seen Him ascend into Heaven. There wasn’t any doubt in their minds.

God Bless!

I found this, it might help The True Story
"It is 97 per cent certain that God raised Jesus Christ from the dead - based on sheer logic and mathematics, not faith - according to Oxford professor Richard Swinburne."

[quote=salival]HI!

salival
[/quote]

Stigmata is the only proof.

Please visit:newadvent.org/cathen/14294b.htm

In Christ,
selvaraj

To avoid confusion, there is only one True God. The God of Catholics is the God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and David. One cannot ‘prove’ the existence of God, however, if she would like a cogent, logical exposition, reading the works of Thomas Aquinas should provide that. It is not a trivial matter; I would suggest that she read and understand Aquinas as a starting point.

God Bless

[quote=salival]Well that didn’t work, he claimed that many die for their beliefs but that that does not makes their beliefs true.

Is there some other way to prove that the Catholic Gos is the true God? Like say from a metaphysical perspective? Any apologists here that can help?

salival
[/quote]

Indeed many die for what they believe. The point I am making is why did they believe after and doubt before?

Just follow the logic and philosophy in Peter Kreeft’s
Pocket Handbook of Christian Apologetics. Athiests are the target audience of this little book.

Because the Catholic God is the God of Abraham… as is the Muslim God (through Ishmael) and the Jewish God (through Israel)… so all three major monotheistic world religions profess a faith in the God of Abraham

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.