How do you REALLY feel about other religions?

I don’t want to turn this into a religion bashing thread, but how do you feel about other religions?

Fine. :shrug: Why do you ask?

I love learning about other faiths and how they developed, such a hindism and buddhism.

I struggle the most with non deominational Christian faiths, probably due to the often lack of historical background - find them hardest to follow how they develop.

My best friend is muslim, and from her and her family I have learnt that the preceptions of religion and families of certain religions, is often highly different than the actual truth!

[quote="AthenaC, post:2, topic:296107"]
Fine. :shrug: Why do you ask?

[/quote]

Just curious. Some people think other religions are too extreme. Some people think JW's are annoying. etc..

I respect nearly all other religions, Christian and Non-Christian, however I tend to have a tower opinion of Evangelical Protestantism as I see a lack of intellectualism in spiritual practice and theology as well as a suspicion of accepted science. This lack of curiosity combined with the assertive and unyielding manner of apologetics employed by some adherents can be irritating. Biblical literalism tends to grate on my nerves a bit as well.

I’ll bite…

I became a better person after studying Buddhism and doing retreats. Buddhists may not have the “whole truth” but they certainly have some wonderful truths. Reading about anger and compassion helped me in so many ways. Because of that I started reading Compassion by Henri Nouwen. I was at a place in my life where this book really touched me when before I almost had a hatred of Christianity.

Though I believe Ellen G. White was a plagiarist and a fraud, I adore the Seventh-day Adventist denomination’s keen interest in the Sabbath and health. Some of my best friends and some family are SDA.

I have such a deeper perspective of the Bible based upon years and years of Judaic studies. I am so very appreciative of having learned some Hebrew and studying with rabbis and scholars.

Scientology…well… I didn’t have any money to spend so I didn’t learn anything at their center. :rolleyes:

I am loathe to say it, but so many folks I know who are Wiccan or Pagan act like 14 year-olds who are angry with the world. For every thoughtful, devout Pagan I know, I can easily think of 4 or 5 people who use the label for their own selfishness. They tend to be folks who want to shock and have a huge chip on their shoulder. Of course similar can be said about a lot of Christians… I guess that’s not about the religion but about the followers.

I like that Mormons don’t use caffeine. :slight_smile:

I think that most denominations are well-meaning and contain parts of the truth. I believe it is possible for a Christian outside of the Church to be saved, especially if they have never really been properly educated on the Catholic faith. Although Catholic myself, it is hard for me to believe that a devout Southern Baptist, Nazarene, Congregationalist, Methodist, etc. won’t be saved simply because they did not practice all of the sacraments of the Catholic Church. I guess the case of Jesus telling the murderer next to him on the cross that he would be saved because of his belief in him leads me to believe this is the case.

:eek::eek::eek: I am never becoming Mormon!! I wouldn’t survive a day!!

I have a positive view of most non-Christian religions and can discern many seeds of the Holy Spirit within them, planted by God :)

In general, I believe in religious tolerance, (although I obviously prefer Catholicism as it is the Truth and best interpretation of Christianity), and I beleive other faiths should, in general, be treated with respect. The following groups annoy me, however:
-Evangelicals, because of their adherence to bizarre theories (the rapture, creationism, sola scriptura, the end is nigh!)and because they don’t view catholics (or ALL christians who are not Evangelicals, for that matter) as true christians and are always trying to “convert” me because they think I’m “lost” (I personally think THEY are the ones who are lost, but I usually keep quiet and try to ignore them);
-Jehovah’s witnesses, for the same reason (plus no Christmas or birthdays);
-radical Muslims (no explanation required).

Your post reminds me of an incident i had in college.

When i was in elementary school, i remembered a priest telling us. “Even though people may be nonCatholics, they can still get to heaven.” I had this in my memory ever since - kind of as a way of not judging others - for i am not the one who gets to make these kinds of decisions.

But i that little quote came roaring back to me while having breakfast with one of my roommates (well actually house-mates). He was a baptist - and while pouring cereal on day he announced: “We learned that even though you are Catholics, you can still get to heaven.”

When i heard the quote that way, it shocked me. It came across as “Even though there is something terribly wrong with you, God might find it in his mercy to let you in.”

I try hard to accept people as they are. I try to understand their intentions instead of what they might literally say. I try to understand why they say the things they say. other religions are good in that they challenge me to understand better what i believe. If i can’t defend what i believe, then i have some learning to do. That can’t be bad.

I don’t care what people believe (for the most part) as long as they aren’t hypocritical.

[quote="FullOfThought, post:8, topic:296107"]
:eek::eek::eek: I am never becoming Mormon!! I wouldn't survive a day!!

[/quote]

You wouldn't survive Judgement Day let alone!

Other religions. I haven't been personally exposed to other religions really. The most diverse religion I've encountered is JWism. I respect all the religions, unless they're inherently evil like Satanism and the likes. Though in my opinion they're false, they do have elements of truth and the people who are OF that religion deserve nothing but our respect.

Mostly fine. Some upset me, when I see some of what they teach, and find it hurtful or wildly wrong, but that’s my opinions on the religion, and not of those who follow it. And in some cases, I can feel jealous of other churches I see, where the congregation is a close community, and seem to uphold love, togetherness and a sense of Christian belonging moe than my home parish. I think there are some good things to be seen in other religions.

I feel that "good" and "bad" people come from all backgrounds. I have respect for all "good" people, even if I feel their religion is wrong (or not completely accurate).

I have studied many religions too, and although many (not all) of them have positives, they are not the total truth. Jesus is the truth. In terms of religion, I have much respect for our Orthodox and Protestant (most) brothers and sisters.

I am very happy with my RC religion, and I would never change it for another.

"Jesus saith to him: I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No man cometh to the Father, but by me." (John 14:6) Douay-Rheims Bible

How can you respect non-Christian religions?

They do not believe in Jesus Christ.

You respecting that religion means you respect the rejection of Jesus Christ.

You can respect a person but not their religion, this doesn’t mean you have to dislike or hate.

[quote="Nelka, post:15, topic:296107"]
How can you respect non-Christian religions?

They do not believe in Jesus Christ.

You respecting that religion means you respect the rejection of Jesus Christ.

You can respect a person but not their religion, this doesn't mean you have to dislike or hate.

[/quote]

I think there'sa slight difference between "I respect your religion" and "I expect your beliefs." I know it sounds contradictory, but look at it this way. I can respect my in laws overall religion, being evangelical. However, I do not respect several aspects of said religion. Typically, saying you respect someones religion is meant more along the lines of, respecting their right to believe in their religion, and not feeling hateful towards it.

How do I really feel about them, and not just think? Not rationally, and it depends on the religion, and often the circumstance. Feelings are by definition irrational, or at least non-rational, so this is not my doctrine of ecumenism, or my philosophical opinion of other religions, although in one or two cases it overlaps, but my gut feeling about them. My opinions of most religions are mixed admiration and trepidation and disgust, and all can be expanded in to essays, if not book-length essays, instead of soundbites.

Islam: Vade retro Satana.

Judaism: At least it's not Islam. My feeling: Puzzlement. Jewish atheists? Seriously?

Hinduism: "It's amazing how they invented multiculturalism 1500 years before the west - if the world was secular, Hinduism would win, because no Jew nor Christian can say, 'I worship Krishna as an avatar of Christ', but I've met Hindus who said the opposite." Caste and hierarchy, strict orthopraxy and no orthodoxy.

Taoism: A religion by and for bureaucrats.

Zoroastrianism: "Oh, that's where Islam got the idea of killing apostates from.", and, oddly, a refrain in the English language that circulates my mind whenever I think of the religion: "Purify them by fire" (as if the religion itself was saying it to me, not me saying it about the religion), over and over, like Orthodox say the Jesus prayer.

Baha'i'ism: A non-offensive brand of multiculturalist monotheism.

Sikhism: Mostly admiration.

Jainism: Mostly admiration.

Wiccanism: "Lol."

"Neo-Paganism": "Paganism died for a reason. Do you live in constant fear and terror of deterministic Fates, and sacrifice animals to attempt to appease the gods, divine the determined decree of Fate, and so on? No? Then you're not a pagan, for God's sake! Have you ever read the Metaphysics? How can you possibly hold the idea that there are many co-equal gods, without even the Form of Being above them [as Aristotle held there to be many prime movers, but only one cause of being, including the being of the prime movers]?"

Liberal Christians/Protestants: "Christianity isn't the Social Gospel, it's the Gospel. It's not permissiveness, it's inclusiveness: the two are not to be confused."

Evangelical/Conservative Protestants: Strong admiration for their moral values, but "The Gospel isn't a list of what not to do - there's more to Christianity than not smoking nor fornicating - and, no, you're not a saint like Augustine was because you feel the assurance of the Spirit for eternal security" and like sentiments.

Mormonism: Strong admiration for the moral values of the religion's adherents, feelings ranging from abhorrence to quizzical cum comical incredulity on its doctrines. See also Neo-Paganism, Wiccanism, and Evangelicalism.

Scientology: Mormonism displaced in to science fiction and made in to a mind-control cult. Disgust at the methods they use.

Jehovah's Witnessism: Incredulity and disgust and the mind-control techniques used, and pity for those who buy in to the constant apocalyptic predictions, and fear that they can dissuade poorly-catechized Christians away from their religion.

Eastern Orthodoxy: "They're almost right. We're almost right. They're a little wrong. We're a little wrong", ad infinitum. Most strong admiration for their unabashed orthodoxy, especially admirable in view of the strong stance the Russian church has recently taken (as has been in the news).

So on.

I find other religions interesting and helpful towards my own religious views and convictions. Although I believe other religions are false, most of them almost always contain some sort of hidden half-truth within their teachings that can be traced or applied to Roman Catholic teaching.

For instance, Ying and Yang. Basically, its the difference between good and evil. Or, as is more applicable to Christianity, it is an example of life and the non-existence of life.

Other religions, I believe, help in gaining different perspectives or making better examples of existing perspectives/principles - provided it is done carefully and one doesn't get ahead of himself.

Jainism is by far my very favorite religion and holds such high standards for moral and ethical behavior. I have nothing but respect and admiration for that religion.

When I was younger I used to love all the different religions and how they all had common truths. I thought it was a useful tool to point out the truth of God and even the truth of Christianity. However as I got older I am disinterested in most other religions.
My father was Mormon, my mother, Anglican, I went to a Presbyterian church all by my self and then Catholic schools. I dated a Wiccan and a Buhddist. I have a theology degree but mostly now I am interested in my own faith.

If I did not believe in Jesus I would most likely be an orthodox Jew as it fits my personality.

I dont have a lot of respect for "new age" stuff and some beliefs of some Muslims about God. But all in all I respect someone more for believing in something with conviction rather than going through life lukewarm and uninterested.

I respect a Mormon who lives his faith way more than a Mormon who does not.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.