How do you reconcile these bible accounts?

On the cross, Jesus said “Father into your hands I commit my spirit.” And then He died. When Mary Magdalene saw Him resurrected, she ran to Him but Jesus did not let her touch Him because He hasn’t gone up to the Father. In 1 Peter 3:18-20, it is written that He was put to death but made alive by the Spirit through whom He ministered to the spirits in prison who disobeyed long ago. If Jesus did not ascend yet then why did He commit His spirit to the Father but went somewhere else?

Our lives are in the hands of God while we live here on earth, at death, and after death so I think this is probably what Jesus was referring to when he said “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.” Spirit here probably refers to the soul of Jesus’ human nature. We believe that when Jesus died, he went down to hell, not the hell of the damned, but the place where those human beings who did good in their lives before the time of Jesus were contained, to free them from this place and bring them to heaven. By his life, death, and resurrection, Jesus opened up the gates of heaven. God is not actually contained in any one place, but is everywhere. Holy Scripture refers to God’s throne as being in the heavens or the highest heavens. It is natural for us to think of God’s throne as such for God created the entire universe and “He looks down from the heavens and sees all the children of men.” Also, Jesus ascended into heaven forty days after his resurrection where he rules as King of the universe.

You have to understand what “commend my spirit” means, It means to comment to His loving care, it does Not mean to ascend to the Father. The problem is misunderstanding what is being said, There is actually no conflict.

In 1 Peter 3:18-20, it is written that He was put to death but made alive by the Spirit through whom He ministered to the spirits in prison who disobeyed long ago.

Here is a clearer translation 1 Pt 3:18 Because Christ also died once for our sins, the just for the unjust: that he might offer us to God, being put to death indeed in the flesh, but enlivened in the spirit,
19 In which also coming he preached to those spirits that were in prison

Was Mary Magdalene attempting to touch “his spirit”? No… she was attempting to touch His body. It was His body that hadn’t yet “gone up to the Father”. :wink:

If Jesus did not ascend yet then why did He commit His spirit to the Father but went somewhere else?

His body hadn’t yet ascended to the Father. His spirit had “descended to the dead” and then led the souls of the just to heaven.

My belief as well :thumbsup:

I’m just supposing here and I must be way off base but… If Jesus was touched by human hands He would have been made unclean but Jesus was the sacrificed offered for our sins, a holy and perfect offering free of any spot or blemish… Jesus indeed needed to ascend to the Father but yet need to be enthroned and the will of God in Him had not been done yet, Jesus still remained with the disciples for 40 days… but he was being transformed and glorified and was still instructing the apostles… still the Apostles could see and touch Him while they were ‘In Spirit’, when they broke bread on the road to Emmaus and in the locked upper room where Thomas put his hand in Jesus wound… (they were in spirit). Perhaps Mary Magdeline was spiritually asleep at the moment so only saw a gardener till she heard the Risen Lord voice who called her by name awaking from her slumber and saw Jesus and Jesus ascended into heaven when the others were prepared for Him to finish His work, unless they had really seen Him risen they would not have believed… When Jesus calls our name we are also awakened from Our Slumber and do Gods work because God is made complete in us because God is the finisher of our faith…

Then where did his ‘body’ go after it left the tomb up until the time he was seen by Mary and the others?

The Bible doesn’t tell us. Jesus just identifies that He hadn’t yet risen (bodily) to the Father…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.