How do you respond (if at all) to "Do this in memory of me."

I attend mass in a multi-ethnic parish. During the Eucharistic Prayer, when the priest states, “Do this in memory of me”, many parishioners respond in various languages (none which I understand), some of them quite vocally, others more quietly. I think I once came across the suggestion of Thomas’ response of “My Lord and my God” but they seem to be saying much more than that. What sayest thou?

“My Lord, My God, My All”

I have never heard anybody audibly say anything at this point in the Eucharistic Prayer in my parish. Nor in any previous parish I’ve belonged to. As to what they are saying to themselves, I don’t know. We are not a “multi-ethnic” parish, per se, but we do have many ethnic groups among our members, and I have never heard anyone say anything, nor have I noticed any particular gestures, but I’m not usually looking around. This is very interesting.

Could they be praising God in tongues? I’ve heard this at charismatic Masses.

The people at the Spanish Mass I sometimes attend say “Mi Senor y Mi Dios” which is my Lord and my God.

Just a quick correction it’s

“Señor Mio y Dios Mio”

It’s more correct or come out of the toung better…

I suppose I should have included “I say this to myself, not out loud”

After the consecration of the bread, I say interiorly “My Lord and my God”

After the consecration of the wine, I say, “We beseech Thee therefore help Thy servants whom Thou has redeemed by Thy Most Precious Blood.”

These were some things that I have retained from following along in the old Latin/English St. Joseph’s Missal.

We could say “My Lord and my God”, but, not audibly. There should be silence (on the part of the people) throughout the Eucharistic Prayer. The only time we should be saying/singing something is at the Memorial Acclamation and the Great Amen.

This is a pious custom that dates back from when the Tridentine Mass was the norm in the West.

It’s not directed by the rubrics of either EF or OF, but is merely an act of personal piety.

Mystic silence is an appropriate response, as well.

The following is per the rubrics in the Sunday Missal dated 1953 with the Imprimatur from Francis Cardinal Spellman, DD (Archbishop of New York;
The words in red are as in the original Missal and are to be taken as instructions for the laity when participating at Mass, taken directly from the ordinary of the Mass he Canon:

…He blessed it, broke it, and gave it to His disciples, saying: Take ye all and eat of this:
For this is my Body
When he elevates the Sacred Host,* look*** at it and say;
My Lord and My God!
(This carries with it an Indulgence of 7 years: A plenary Indulgence is available once per week if said each day during the week.)

We are to acknowledge with our lips (audibly, but quietly) that Christ is Lord and God present in the Blessed Host. This is Scriptural;
9 For if thou confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him up from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Another time you may hear people speaking is at the elevation of the Precious Blood. You may hear any of the following (taken from My Prayer Book, by Father Lasance-the section labeled “Prayers at Holy Mass”, published 1908;

[LIST]
*]Eternal Father! I offer thee the Precious Blood of Jesus in satisfaction for my sins and in supplication for the holy souls in purgatory and for the wants of Holy Church. (500 days Indulgence)
*]O Sacrament most Holy! O Sacrament Divine! All praise and all thanksgiving be every moment thine! (300 days Indulgence) and one of my personal favorites!
*]Jesus, my God, I love thee above all things! (300 days)
*]May the Eucharistic Blood of Jesus, cleanse my soul from every stain! Most pure Heart of Jesus, purify me! Most humble Heart of Jesus, teach me Thy humility! Sweetest Heart of Jesus, communicate to me Thy gentleness and patience! Most merciful Heart of Jesus, have mercy on me! Most loving Heart of Jesus, inflame my heart with love of Thee!
[/LIST]You can see that these are all wonderful prayers which have been greatly encouraged by the Church for many years.

Under the EF, It was a little bit more than an act of personal piety, there was a partial indulgence attached to doing so.

There might still be, I don’t know if it is still in the Enchiridion.

Thank you for all the replies, and especially to rciadan for sharing so thoroughly.

In the call for us to participate more fully in the celebration of the Mass, I think it is a shame that my current missal does not include guidance in the suggested, and beautiful, prayers any longer.

Another similar thing, neither the making the three crosses (on the forehead, lips, heart) immediately preceding the Gospel reading, nor the inward prayer of “May Christ be on my mind, on my lips, in my heart” or “May I be blessed to know, speak, and live the Gospel” is indicated in my current missal.

Would I be opening the floodgates if I asked for other instances whereby I might more fully participate in the Mass? (I mean on a personal level…prayer wise…during Mass…I am already assisting in ministries.)

Blessings
tj

In the call for us to participate more fully in the celebration of the Mass, I think it is a shame that my current missal does not include guidance in the suggested, and beautiful, prayers any longer.

Another similar thing, neither the making the three crosses (on the forehead, lips, heart) immediately preceding the Gospel reading, nor the inward prayer of “May Christ be on my mind, on my lips, in my heart” or “May I be blessed to know, speak, and live the Gospel” is indicated in my current missal.

**Need individual acts of piety and devotion be spelled out?

I might point out that aspirations at the Elevation have never been actually called for in the official altar missals. Directions given in personal missals for the laity have never been of precept or rubric.

The main steps in fully participating in the Holy Liturgy are making the audible responses and singing when called for, carefully listening to the Readings, and attentively hearkening to the prayers that are said aloud.

Obviously, if you’re hard of hearing or do not speak the language of a given service, a book might be called for.

What you pray privately at this time are simply your own private prayers.

But I know no better way of participating in the the public services (Eucharistic Sacrifie, Divine Office, and other services) than through the prayers the Church herself provides for them.**

When the host and the chalace are raised I say under my breath, “My Lord and my God” not as an act of piety or even as a prayer. I say it as a reminder to myself what I am seeing and who I am in the presence of.

i too say it as a reminder to myself that we are truly blessed to be participating in the beautiful Miracle of the Holy Mass and the Most Holy Eucharist!

i say to myself while looking at Jesus; “Dominus Meus et Deus Meus, my Lord and my God (Jn 20:28), i believe; help my unbelief (Mk 9:24), Lord save me (Mt 14:30), Miserere mei Deus, Have mercy on me, O God! (Ps 51:1)”

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

I know my mother and father would do this. They would put their right fist to their chest and would silently say the words listed above (they told me when I asked what they were doing). This would be being done as the bells are being rung. Does anyone else do this?

In a virtually inaudible whisper:

For the Host: "My Lord and my God"
For the Chalice: “Be mindful of Thy creature, Lord, whom Thou hast redeemed by Thy Most Precious Blood.”

I think internally

“My Lord and My God”

and

“My the Blood of Christ wash me”

Yes, I do, 3 times as the bells are rung 3 times for when the Host and the Precious Blood are elevated.

It’s what I was taught in school in the early 50’s.

Anyone else?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.