How do you save others?

Hello to all. This is my very first topic posted here. I have really been focusing on deepening my Catholic faith and letting Jesus take over my life. I have been learning a lot about myself especially how I’ve taken sin for granted so long in my life right up to discovering that I really have never given a decent confession. From my recent findings on how sin is so easily dismissed a troubling thought has entered my mind. I am deeply concerned with my loved ones and friends who have fallen into the same trap all their lives and want them all to be saved. When I pray I pray for all souls to become believers and to repent their sins. I do this on every rosary I pray. I don’t even ask for anything really in prayer but mainly for my own forgiveness and the for the repentance of others. It deeply troubles me to think that good people I know who are like this might not get to heaven. How do I evangelize others or is prayer enough. Do I broach the subject with them??? Thoughts please

Bob

Welcome to CAF! And what a great question.

The answer to your title, “How do you save others???”, is to let God do it. We cannot. But we can be His instruments, and I’m sure that is what you meant.

Keep praying. That is essential.

As to how to broach the subject of conversion with them, here are a few scattered ideas.

First of all, you have to have a relationship of trust with them before you “earn” the right to be heard. When I made Cursillo (a weekend “course” in Christianity, which I highly recommend), we learned that you have to “Make a friend, be a friend, bring a friend to Jesus.” IN THAT ORDER.

Actions speak louder than words. If they know you are Catholic/Christian, and they see the fruits in the way you live, in charity, kindness, service to others, they will want what you have. Saint Francis of Assisi said, “Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words.”

If your friends are baptized Catholics but in need of deeper conversion, perhaps the greatest good you can do for them is to bring them to the Sacrament of Confession. Like the people in the Gospel who brought the sick man to Jesus and lowered him on a pallet through the roof. (You will probably have to use a different technique! :D) Perhaps by casually mentioning how you have benefited from it, the peace it brings you. Or just inviting them to come along when you were planning to go. It’s kind of delicate, knowing the best way to invite without appearing to judge or accuse them.

Always pray for the guidance of the Holy Spirit in your apostolate. Sometimes I have prayed, “Holy Spirit, if you want me to speak to this person on Your behalf, give me an obvious opportunity, and give me the words that will work best,” or something along those lines. I have been amazed at the ways the Holy Spirit has responded to this type of request!

You can also pray to your friend’s guardian angel. Their angel desires their conversion even more than you do.

There are probably lots of other ideas out there. The book Search and Rescue: How to Bring Your Family and Friends Into, or Back Into, the Catholic Church by Patrick Madrid and Scott Hahn may help. amazon.com/Search-Rescue-Family-Friends-Catholic/dp/192883227X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237329979&sr=1-3

God bless you for your concern, and may your efforts be fruitful.

St. Seraphim of Sarov said, “Acquire the Holy Spirit, and a thousand souls will be saved around you.”

This is a good answer. Being only human beings… we can’t “save” others. But we can certainly offer ourselves to Almighty God… for His use, in the conversion of sinners and the salvation of souls. You might ask… “how do we do this?”

There is a very old Catholic saying… “OFFER IT UP!” :thumbsup:

Each time we make an act of the will… and offer up a sacrifice to God… for the conversion of sinners and the salvation of souls… we can participate in Our Lord’s work of salvation. This idea has its roots in Scripture… St. Paul tells us…

“Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am filling up what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ on behalf of His Body, which is the Church, of which I am a minister in accordance with God’s stewardship given to me to bring to completion for you the word of God, the mystery hidden from ages and from generations past.” (Colossians 1:24-26)

St. Therese of Lisieux, Doctor of the Church… also put this into practice. Her “Little Way” is based on this. She offered every single “little” sacrifice that she could. And showed us, that our little, every day sacrifices are of immense value… in the Kingdom of God.

Hope this helps.

Jesus allows us a share in His work of saving souls by giving us a share in His sufferings, His prayers, and His Divinity. Offer up your sufferings to the Lord, pray for sinners, and live in His Spirit, His Grace, His Strength, and His Love and Mercy.

Many suffer, but few bear crosses patiently and offer them up to Jesus. You can offer all the world’s pain to Jesus.

Wow, Thank you all…These are all great replies. Definitely some great suggestions. I will pray more and take it slowly. I don’t want to come off as a fanatic to all my family and friends. I feel doing that would drive them further away. I will pray for them and ask Jesus for guidance. The funniest thing about this I was very unhappy and lonely. I went back to my Catholic roots but the more I go the more I want to help others be saved.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.