How do you sing 'Happy Birthday?'

I went to a birthday party and was pleasantly surprised to hear a second verse to 'Happy Birthday.' It was something about the good/dear Lord blessling you. My daughter is celebrating her first birthday soon and I would love to add this second verse to the song for her. I've seen some different versions online. How do you sing it?

[quote="philosophermom, post:1, topic:239704"]
I went to a birthday party and was pleasantly surprised to hear a second verse to 'Happy Birthday.' It was something about the good/dear Lord blessling you. My daughter is celebrating her first birthday soon and I would love to add this second verse to the song for her. I've seen some different versions online. How do you sing it?

[/quote]

I remember hearing a choir singing "Happy Birthday" to JPII and singing, "May the good Lord bless you" in the second verse.

A lyric Web site had it written as follows:

"May the good Lord bless you.
May the good Lord bless you.
Happy birthday dear (name)
Happy birthday to you."

my family screams random lines itll usually go something like this

Uncle: HAP HAP HAPP HAPP HAPPY
Grandfather: Birthday to Youuuuu
Cousin #1: BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY HAPPY YEAH YOU TO
Brother: Its a BIRTHDAY and ITs HapPpY yeah Birthday

and then after a bit of discombobulated singing we eventually join together to sing the last line correctly.

Im not sure how this tradition started but its how weve been singing happy birthday as long as i can remember

My family always tries to slow it down into the “Birthday Dirge”. We have fun here.

The second verse is,

“and many more, on channel four
and Scooby Doo, on channel two…”

(there are other channels whose contents are mentioned and while they’re not bad in any way I doubt they’re politically correct enough to say here and avoid angering some overly sensitive person :p)

I always enjoyed the melancholic version I learned in high school:

Happy Birthday, oh Happy Birthday
Sin and sorrow in the air
People dying everywhere
But Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday.

Okay, not really. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve never heard of a second, God-themed verse to the song. It’s interesting because some company claims copyright on the song, which is why the traditional version is not sung at restaurants and seldom used on TV.

unhappybirthday.com/

I have heard "May the Good Lord bless you" Or "May the Dear Lord ...." all my life.I have friends who sing these two version, A flemish song, Polish then the English translation (May you live a hundred years) and then Happy Birthday in Spanish. I think there is a layer of candle wax covering the whole top of the cake

I am surprised no one has mentioned "Happy Birthday to you. You live in a zoo. You look like a monkey and you act like one too" (with various animals)
Or a newer version for me "what's your girlfriend's first name?"

My older cousins would sing this lovely ditty to me on my birthday...:rolleyes:

Happy Birthday to you
You belong in the zoo
You look like a monkey
And you smell like one too.

Nothing like childhood bullying on your birthday. :rolleyes:

“May the dear Lord bless you,
May the dear Lord bless you,
May the dear Lord bles (name);
And our Lady too.”

Oh, I really like this last one! This is what I will use for our family from now on. We did use a variation of this for my baby’s recent first birthday. It felt good to incorporate our faith into singing “Happy Birthday.”

The second verse to Happy Birthday we use is:-

We wish you good health
And a little bit of wealth
And a great deal of happiness
God bless you dear friend

And all the rest, on CBS

In stead of happy birthday you say “may the dear Lord bless you”

To the traditional “happy birthday” tune:

“Happy Birthday to you,
You were born in the zoo,
You were born with the monkeys,
And you look like one too!”

Vey childish I know, but it still makes me laugh (im 35!).

:smiley:

Can I sing it in Korean or Japanese? :slight_smile:

How do you sing ‘Happy Birthday?’

Badly, most of the time. :wink:

I like the short version Happy Birthday song, that I learned from a River Boat captain in Disneyland:

“This is your birthday song!
It isn’t very long!” (end)

Okay, after that terse version, I feel compelled to add this:

Father Basil Frison was an 80-something priest (born in 1912) at Rancho Dominguez who was the author of some 15 books (here’s a listing on Amazon of his works: amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/105-6365507-9885228?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Basil%20Frison) on Catholicism, faith formation in the seminary, canon law, etc. He also loved to play the piano and guitar, and recorded some of his original compositions, which (as some have noted) he played perhaps not to a professional standard, but with a great deal of warmth and charm, including his spoken introductions. After his death, he has achieved a certain amount of celebrity from those who collect unusual recordings by amateur musicians.

The WFMU blog, which archives MP3s of out-of-print and never-in-print recording artists, has several of his works available, including this: wfmu.org/365/2003/102.shtml, and this, which includes his recording of the Happy Birthday song, and accompanies himself on the guitar. It’s hard not to hear this aged priest sing this and not be cheered up. I play it for myself every year on my birthday: blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2007/09/365-days-248—.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.