How do you start a blog?

Can someone steer this computer-challenged mom in the right direction?
I'm considering starting a blog for either Catholic moms and/or Catholic children, but I'm the first to admit I know very little as to how to proceed.
What does it involve? Does it cost anything?
I'm considering doing it since I have collected several ideas, recipes, etc. over the years. Is it possible to make any money doing this?
This idea has been suggested to me and I'm curious if it would work. I really would like to bring in a little money to help with the bills.
Do you make money off ads being posted, or how does this work?
Sorry--a little clueless on this one, but very interested! Any and all info much appreciated.

God bless.

Just google "start a blog" and you'll find several sites...
Here are a few to start you out:

blogger.com/
blog.com/
blog.com/

wordpress.com/

See the orange button on the right. Also:

"Nervous? Technically challenged? Go from zero to hero with our 10-step walk-through guide."

LOL… I meant to post wordpress… accidentally doubled up on that blog.com one above… :doh2:

I just opened up a new blog on blogspot (mostly because LiveJournal seems now to be DeadJournal).

A bit easier than I had hoped, but I still can't figure out how to add an about-me 'page', and they promised I could! :p

But for getting started, I recommend blogspot. It's popular, the ads so far are not obnoxious, and lots of Catholics blog there.

For the record, I loathe the word 'blog.'

Having utilized both, I prefer wordpress to blogger. I think it's much more intuitive to use and gives you much more options. Be sure to go to wordpress.com (which is free) rather than wordpress.org (which you have to pay for). IMO, you should not have to pay to blog, unless you get to a point where you have an established audience and want your own domain name rather than domainname.wordpress.com.

If you go to wordpress.com and follow the steps, it really is pretty easy, even for beginners.

I know I've seen a couple tutorials on WordPress about how to make money off your blog. It's not something you're going to see pay off immediately (unless you're very lucky) so if that's you're primary purpose, you'll want to keep that in mind. In order to make money, you'll first need to get traffic to your blog. To receive and maintain a decent level of traffic, you need quality original content that is updated regularly.

Then, you might choose to put on some Google Ads. Or else you might even take advantage of the Amazon Associates program by linking your blog to your Amazon.com account to receive a unique referral code to add to every amazon URL you place on your blog. Then you'll get a little kick-back from Amazon if someone buys something after going to Amazon through your website (regardless of whether or not they buy the specific item they clicked on initially). And, of course, you can always add a paypal "donate" button or "tip jar" so that people can chip in. You probably don't want to put both a donate button and have advertisements. That may put people off.

I've never implemented any of these things myself, so I can't really give you an idea of how much you can expect to earn. I would guess that it would take a lot of work initially, but once you have established yourself enough, you may earn a regular amount of income with minimal, but consistent, effort.

If you figure it out, let me know. That’s one of the primary reasons I switched over from blogspot to wordpress. I wanted to be able to have “pages”.

[quote="Joe_5859, post:7, topic:225531"]
If you figure it out, let me know. That's one of the primary reasons I switched over from blogspot to wordpress. I wanted to be able to have "pages".

[/quote]

I saw it once, but I said, "ahh, maybe later." And later never came. :crying:

Maybe it will reveal itself again. Just steer clear of LJ.

[quote="Joe_5859, post:7, topic:225531"]
If you figure it out, let me know. That's one of the primary reasons I switched over from blogspot to wordpress. I wanted to be able to have "pages".

[/quote]

Pages is a NEW feature to blogger. To edit/add a page you want to click on the "new post button" on your dashboard. That allows you to start a new blog post, however at the top of the screen you should see edit pages link. click on that to edit pages. The picture belows shows you AFTER clicking on the new post button where to find the edit pages option.

http://sahminil.webs.com/editpages.jpeg

Once you are on the edit pages page you should be able to figure out how to do pages.

As for the OP questions: cost is free, can you make money? That really depends on how many followers and daily readers you get. If you have a LOW traffic amount you are going to get next to nothing in money. If you have HIGH traffic amount then you are likely to earn money.

[quote="Mommyof02green, post:9, topic:225531"]
Pages is a NEW feature to blogger. To edit/add a page you want to click on the "new post button" on your dashboard. That allows you to start a new blog post, however at the top of the screen you should see edit pages link. click on that to edit pages. The picture belows shows you AFTER clicking on the new post button where to find the edit pages option.

[/quote]

Cool, thanks! :thumbsup: It's been a while since I've logged on to blogger, so I missed the new feature. Good to know!

What he said! Except that I'm new to blogger and forgot. :blush:

THANK YOUUUU!!!!!

I was going to say... I have pages at the top of my blog and I use blogger.

brokenfortress.blogspot.com/

Personally I do it to meet people. I've met a lot of wonderful Catholic ladies who I wouldn't have met otherwise. I've only actually met one of my blog followers in real life, and now we're good friends. But it helps my faith and I enjoy doing it.

I don't make money off of my blog. I had one ad on the side through a Catholic agency, I've had it up for a while now and still don't make money as you need to have at least $25 in your account to take the money out, and well, that takes forever to get.

Personally I don't like blogs with a lot of ads on them, but there are some popular blogs that incorporate them pretty well. I don't think you'll make much money from a blog in the beginning.

I recently (1/1/11!) started a blog but it's not Catholic related. A friend suggested that I start a "transplant" blog and I went 'ok' and WHAMO! I'm now hooked! (If you're curious what kind of transplant I received, don't hesitate to ask!) Anyhoo, I'll be making a post about faith/religion and about how mine has changed (some parts good, some parts cynical) and I'm not 100% how to go about it. I started a draft but re-reading it in my head I'm like this doesn't look good... (of course, I've been known to be my own worst critic ;))

Anyway, I'm still scratching my head on what angle I should go for without started WWIII! Thanks! :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.