How do you think hell is like?

hola raza:

Simple question but hard answer right???

how do you think hell is like, i dont think it can be a lake of fire because souls dont burn do they??? it must be some other form of suffering, like mental (the worst kind of depretion, hate to the max etc)
PLEASE REPLY I WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU.

I think Hell is the eternal separation between God and us. It would be like seeing God face to face, and Him saying to you, “You are an embarassment to me. I will stand you no longer. I have extended every mercy and kindness to you, and you have always chosen to slap my hand away. I have offered you everything I have, and you have disowned me. I will, therefore, disown you.”

The eternal fire would then be, rather, the burning sting of shame. And you have to endure this shame for eternity.

O, my Jesus, save us from the fires of Hell, and lead all souls to Heaven, especially those in most need of thy mercy,
RyanL

I remember reading a theory that, since Hell is full of nothing but sinners, if you put them all together and leave them there for eternity, you won’t get anything BUT Hell. It is also the seperation from God, from which all goodness flows. Not pretty.

I think maybe hell could be an eternity alone in a room,because, just imagine spending forever in a room on your own!!

Such torture!

No one has ever gone to hell and come back to tell about it, but many saints have had terrifying visions of what it is like. Here is one from St. Faustina:

"Today I was led by an Angel to the chasms of hell. It is a place of great torture; how awesomely large and extensive it is! The kinds of tortures I saw: The first torture that constitutes hell is the loss of God; the second is perpetual remorse of conscience; the third is that one’s condition will never change; the fourth is the fire that will penetrate the soul without destroying it — a terrible suffering, as it is a purely spiritual fire, lit by God’s anger; the fifth torture is continual darkness and a terrible suffocating smell, and despite the darkness, the devils and souls of the damned see each other and all the evil both of others and their own; the sixth torture is the constant company of Satan; the seventh torture is horrible despair, hatred of God, vile words, curses and blasphemies.
"These are the tortures suffered by all the damned together, but that is not the end of the sufferings. There are special tortures of the senses. Each soul undergoes terrible and indescribable sufferings related to the manner in which it has sinned. There are caverns and pits of torture where one form of agony differs from another. I would have died at the very sight of these tortures if the omnipotence of God had not supported me.
“Let the sinner know that he will be tortured throughout all eternity, in those senses which he made use of to sin. I am writing this at the command of God, so that no soul may find an excuse by saying there is not hell, or that nobody has ever been there and so no one can say what it is like.”

Sounds a lot like Dante’s Divine Comedy; everyone reaps what they sow-according to what their misdeeds were in life, they get similar punishments. I heard of some Protestant pastor dieing, and being shown Hell by an angel, and he saw a similar thing of people being punished “ironically” according to their deeds.

Thanks Fidelis, that was an eye opener. I got chills just reading it. I do believe people should be reminded of where their sins can lead them.

We don’t know when we will die, today, tomorrow but we need to always be ready and in a perfect state as best as possible.

I’m glad today is Saturday because I was planning on going to Confession.:nope:

There have been a lot of people who went to hell and came back to tell about it!
The matter is not how many have, but how many people actually believe them.

[quote=miguel delgado]hola raza:

how do you think hell is like, i dont think it can be a lake of fire because souls dont burn do they??? it must be some other form of suffering, like mental (the worst kind of depretion, hate to the max etc)
[/quote]

No one knows unless there. Also, if NOT a lake of fire, how is the Fatima vision of hell, July 13th, 1917 explained?

The short answer, I don’t really want to know. Carrying out the pain and emptiness I felt during times I lived away from the Church to the absolute degree, I REALLy don’t want to know. For me, being seperated from God was a numbness so dead and cold it radiated a spiritual pain that makes me cringe thinking about it.:eek:

The worst part of hell will be to be separated from God, with no possibility of ever being with Him. I think we can get so hung up on the language to describe it, that we forget that we were made to be with God. So there can be no worse punishment than not to have any hope of that…

Without the brain to control emotion and without a physical body to feel pain, how would there be any suffering?

The afterlife doesn’t abide by the laws of time, or many other laws for that matter. I think it’s entirely reasonable that it doesn’t abide by the laws of the way our bodies work in this life.

[quote=Ghostgirl]Without the brain to control emotion and without a physical body to feel pain, how would there be any suffering?
[/quote]

Ghostgirl,

The short answer is this: we are more than the sum of our parts.

If you’re interested as to why we believe this, you should start a new thread. One rule, however - no smart-mouthing (I’ve read some of your previous posts). Bring your intellect, and remember that there’s a reason why the smartest people to have ever lived are not athiests!

RyanL

When thinking of hell I am reminded of a short story my Mom taught me many years ago.
There was a man named Tom who died and was at the Pearly Gates. Standing there was Saint Peter. Saint Peter said to Tom you made it to Heaven and the Gates of Heaven are now open to you. Tom being a curious Lad asked Peter if he could see Hell before he entered into Heaven. Peter granted Tom his wish and he was cast into Hell. What Tom saw was a beautiful Banquet Hall with gold and silver decor. There were many people at the table with every imaginable food. Long stemmed silverware was at every place setting. The people at this feast picked up the silver ware grabbed a fork full of food and when they tried to eat the long stemmed silver ware stuck to their forearms not allowing them to get the food into their mouths.Time after time this went on with the same results. Well, Tom called up to Peter and said I,ve seen enough.
Tom entered the Pearly Gates and low and behold it looked like the same dining room even to the long stemmed silver ware.
When the people at the table picked up the forks the long stems again stuck to their forearms. Well Tom called out to Peter and said what is this, is there no difference between heaven and hell? Peter told Tom to look around and what Tom saw was that everyone at the table unable to feed themselves because of the long stemmed silver ware sticking to their forearm were feeding the person next to them.

[quote=miguel delgado]hola raza:

[/quote]

Hating God worse than the devil - I don’t see how any misery could even begin to compare with utterly rejecting God. To be in Hell, means to be incapable of loving God - and that is to be completely unfulfilled; for God has created us in Love, that we might love Him eternally.

Complete absence of love

The “enjoyment” of sin without illusions about its true character - it will be seen and known for what it is; as God sees it.

Utter loneliness - “Hell for company” ? - I think not

Perfect misery in body and soul

“Hell is the revelation of impenitent sin” ##

Hell is no love.
Hell is constant insults and pain.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.