How do you tie a Altar server rope/belt? (Cincture)

I've just become an Altar Server and the Deacon showed me how to tie the knot but i can't do it. What kind of knot is used for the Altar Server's belt (Cincture)? I live in Texas.

Step by step diagram.

almy.com/UI/Hotspots/Docs/Cincture.pdf

Once you get the hang of it, don’t forget to make it Texas style - bigger than the rest! :smiley:

That is one way to do it. Unfortunately, at our parish only the skinniest altar servers can tie it like that, because the cinctures aren’t long enough. If they were, they’d have to go three or four times around the skinny kids, and that would get to the point of comical!

In practice, the waistline of altar servers and the length of cincture provided for the altar servers to use both vary so much that a variety of different methods might be used. Generally speaking, it is important to have the ends more or less the same distance off the ground, short enough so you won’t step on them, and long enough so there is a good bit trailing away from your waist, but other than that most places don’t teach one single right way for altar servers to do it.

If your cinctures aren’t long enough to use the method described by Deo Gratias, try using a square knot. If you have trouble with the knot slipping while you’re in the middle of tying it, you can use a Surgeon’s Reef knot, instead. Look at this website; it shows knots that are close to what you do want, but which you’ll want to avoid because they are likely to fail (e.g., a Granny knot). (kspark.kaist.ac.kr/knots.htm)

Either way, take the time to even up the ends before you start. One long, one short, you’ll be stepping on the long one and will have to start over!

When I am without a cassock, I tie my cincture in the traditional fashion. If the cincture is long enough, I'd tie it that way. You might be able to use this image.

img.aquinasandmore.com/items/Cincture%203.jpg

I've seen servers tie them like shoelaces minus the bunny ears. :p

:popcorn:

I tie mine in a variety of ways because for some reason the cinctures at my parish vary greatly in sizes. The white ones and red ones are decent in size; the green ones are all entirely too long or too short, and the violet ones are all ridiculously short. Sometimes I just wrap it around my waist and make a knot depending on the size of the rope. If it's too long, I have to tie it as shown in the diagram above. I look silly with the violet ones because they're way short, and there is no length with them. They go around my waist, but there is no excess rope hanging from it.

[quote="CatholicZ09, post:8, topic:287070"]
I tie mine in a variety of ways because for some reason the cinctures at my parish vary greatly in sizes. The white ones and red ones are decent in size; the green ones are all entirely too long or too short, and the violet ones are all ridiculously short. Sometimes I just wrap it around my waist and make a knot depending on the size of the rope. If it's too long, I have to tie it as shown in the diagram above. I look silly with the violet ones because they're way short, and there is no length with them. They go around my waist, but there is no excess rope hanging from it.

[/quote]

The altar servers cinctures do not have to change with the liturgical season. Check with a priest, but generally speaking a white cincture may always be used. After all, a white cincture is what priests always use! This is particularly reasonable if the cincture with the litugical color is so inadequate as to detract from the solemnity of the Mass. In that case, however, all of the altar servers ought to wear the white ones. The main thing is to be an addition to the solemn atmosphere of the Mass, not a detraction.

[quote="EasterJoy, post:9, topic:287070"]
The altar servers cinctures do not have to change with the liturgical season. Check with a priest, but generally speaking a white cincture may always be used. After all, a white cincture is what priests always use! This is particularly reasonable if the cincture with the litugical color is so inadequate as to detract from the solemnity of the Mass. In that case, however, all of the altar servers ought to wear the white ones. The main thing is to be an addition to the solemn atmosphere of the Mass, not a detraction.

[/quote]

Yes, I agree. The color of a cincture should not change with the season. White for most, white intertwined with gold threads for a monsengior (or any minister who wishes to wear a more ornate cincture), green+gold for a bishop (the same style as the classic green/gold pectoral cross cord), red+gold for a cardinal, and white+gold for the pope.

[quote="Matthewmatt, post:1, topic:287070"]
I've just become an Altar Server and the Deacon showed me how to tie the knot but i can't do it. What kind of knot is used for the Altar Server's belt (Cincture)? I live in Texas.

[/quote]

phew, we dont have them anymore and hated it when we did coz being a scout meant no one had shown me how to tie it. No one seemed to notice mine was always a kind of granny knot to look like it. Then when I finally did get around to asking yeh i was teased and still never managed it. That was when I was 20 and only lasted 6 month. I now been serving for over a year and really like it and thankfully, no knots to tie....:D Hope you enjoy serving Matthewmatt.

Actually many priests, especially in other countries, have different colored cinctures to match their vestments. I have always preferred altar servers to wear black or red cassocks and white surplices, in which cinctures are not used.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.