How does belief set us free?

What does it free is from, other than sin?

:popcorn:

Jesus said that the truth would set us free. We’re enslaved by sin and death. Addicted to our passions, trapped by the finality of the boundaries defined by birth and death. With no place else to go, no meaning to our empty and futile existences other than whatever pleasures or glory we might derive from it from time to time. We’re lost without even knowing if home exists.

Jesus reveals it all. Where we came from, what we’re doing here, where we’re going. He definitively reveals the existence of God, the power of God, the goodness, kindness, and mercy of God, most of all the unconditional love of God for man. And then He arises from the grave to prove that our existence doesn’t end there either. He conquers sin and death so we can, too. And He promises a happiness we can shoot for that makes existence truly worthwhile.

As fhansen said, it sets you free from sin. You’re not the first person to ask this question, though, Andyklein. Someone asked it for you almost 2000 years ago.

John 8: 31-37 [From Jubilee Bible 2000, italics added for emphasis]
Then Jesus said to those Jews who had believed him, If ye abide in my word, ye shall be my disciples indeed; and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. They answered him, We are Abraham’s seed, and we have never served anyone; how sayest thou, Ye shall be set free? Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever commits sin is the slave of sin. And the slave does not abide in the house for ever, but the Son abides for ever. If the Son therefore shall set you free, ye shall be free indeed. I know that ye are Abraham’s seed, but ye seek to kill me because my word has no place in you.

What shackles you?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.