How does Confirmation work?

I’m in RCIA right now and I’ll be Confirmed on Easter. How does Confirmation actually work? My sponsor isn’t Catholic, so he can’t really answer any of my questions and my RCIA director is unhelpful. I haven’t really learned anything in class and regarding what I have learned: I don’t agree with any of the Church’s teachings at all. However, I absolutely refuse to back out now because of the amount of money I’ve spent on these classes. Also, I don’t want to offend anyone or make anyone angry.

Can someone just briefly tell me what Confirmation is like? Do I have to speak in front of the people? The RCIA director said something about having to pick out a patronage saint. What does that mean? Thank you so much!

Candidates normally join the Church on Holy Saturday night at the Easter Vigil.

Confirmation consists of anointing with oil and a very short prayer by the pries. The bishop is the normal person to administer Confirmation, but since adult confirmation has moved the Easter Vigil, he delegates that specifically to the pastor.

I would be more concerned about you not accepting what the Church teaches (and I can understand you may not have much help at this time).

If you don’t understand, or can’t accept, then don’t stand up and say you are joining the Church (either by being baptized, or making a profession of faith if you were baptized in a protestant church before). You have too much integrity for that.

There is nothing wrong with saying you are just not ready (I used to teach RCIA, and had several people who decided to pass - all but one joined a year later.

PM me if I can help.

The following link from the Catechism of the Catholic Church explains Confirmation:

vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p2s2c1a2.htm

Your Confirmation sponsor is not Catholic? How did that happen?

If your RCIA instructor is not helpful, you should make an appointment to talk with your pastor about your concerns.

I don’t see how you are allowed a sponsor who is not Catholic. Certainly for Confirmation the sponsor MUST be a Catholic in good standing with the Church. It is not permitted for a non-Catholic to be a sponsor either for baptism or confirmation.

SPONSORS

Can. 892 As far as possible the person to be confirmed is to have a sponsor. The sponsor’s function is to take care that the person confirmed behaves as a true witness of Christ and faithfully fulfills the duties inherent in this sacrament.

Can. 893 §1 A person who would undertake the office of sponsor must fulfill the conditions mentioned in can. 874.

§2 It is desirable that the sponsor chosen be the one who undertook this role at baptism.

Can. 874 §1 To be admitted to undertake the office of sponsor, a person must:

1° be appointed by the candidate for baptism, or by the parents or whoever stands in their place, or failing these, by the parish priest or the minister; to be appointed the person must be suitable for this role and have the intention of fulfilling it;

2° be not less than sixteen years of age, unless a different age has been stipulated by the diocesan Bishop, or unless the parish priest or the minister considers that there is a just reason for an exception to be made;

3° be a Catholic who has been confirmed and has received the blessed Eucharist, and who lives a life of faith which befits the role to be undertaken;

4° not labour under a canonical penalty, whether imposed or declared;

5° not be either the father or the mother of the person to be baptised.

§2 A baptised person who belongs to a non-catholic ecclesial community may be admitted only in company with a catholic sponsor, and then simply as a witness to the baptism.

Hi

Your post seems very strange to me, ie that you are not learning and that your RCIA is not very helpful. I agree with one of the replies that you should speak with the pastor.

It is also strange to me that you have to pay for the classes. Is that normal in the US?

Why would you have a non Catholic sponsor to guide you into the Catholic Church?

I do hope that you come to the Church because you believe and not because you have spent money.

I wish there were something I could do to help you.

God bless you,.

You really need a copy of Catholicism for Dummies. This is an excellent reference book which provides information on Catholic beliefs and the reasons behind those beliefs. It is an easy read and is highly recommended.

Don’t you find it strange that the OP says he

[LIST]
*]has a non-Catholic as a sponsor
*]had to pay a lot of money to prepare to be received into the Church
*]didn’t learn anything
*]learned enough to know he doesn’t believe any of it
*]is willing to make a profession of faith and be confirmed anyway so people aren’t mad
*]says all this in the first post he’s ever made
[/LIST]
Is there a bridge nearby?

Stranger things have happened. Unfortunately, poor catechesis is commonplace.

I’m concerned about your post in that your sponsor is not catholic, but more importantly you haven’t learnt anything, don’t agree with the church teachings but will still get confirmed so as not to make people mad/money…it’s not people I’d be worried about :rolleyes:

The non Catholic sponsor is very strange, simply isn’t possible. Then having to pay for classes. Again, unheard of. Now top this with he has not learned anything, but learned learned enough to know he doesn’t agree with “anything”.
Something isn’t stacking up here. I’d say provide him with no more attention!

I don’t agree with any of the Church’s teachings at all.

I understand that you do not want to disappoint anyone by backing out, but if you honestly do not believe in the Catholic teachings… well, it’s time to back out. You cannot go in front of the church and lie in front of God that you believe all of this when you don’t. Hugs to you and I hope you get this figured out.

:popcorn:

tee

What is the punishment for falsely converting?

I agree.

[LIST]
*]has a non-Catholic as a sponsor
I didn’t know any Catholics who could sponsor me, so I just picked my friend Michael who comes to class with me on Tuesdays. The director doesn’t know he’s Jewish.
*]had to pay a lot of money to prepare to be received into the Church
The parish that is offering RCIA made me pay $150 for class fees, books, and food.
*]didn’t learn anything
The director teaches too fast and he tends to answer questions with questions. I try to follow along in the parts of the book he assigns for reading, but I don’t understand anything. Plus, I can’t ask Michael because he doesn’t know anything about Catholicism.
*]learned enough to know he doesn’t believe any of it
Many of the social teachings go against what I personally believe. Also, I’m not sure I’m buying the Eucharist thing.
*]is willing to make a profession of faith and be confirmed anyway so people aren’t mad
I’ve told a lot of people I’m becoming Catholic. I don’t want to back out now and be a flake. Everyone will think I was too scared.
*]says all this in the first post he’s ever made
I didn’t know this site existed. Otherwise, I would have asked a long time ago.
[/LIST]

Also, the RCIA director told me that it was okay that I go to Mass and take the Eucharist to see if I liked it. I’ve taken it a few times the last few Masses I attended. I thought that was disallowed, though. I just want to be a part of the group. I’ve never been a part of a church group before.

Agreed, just too nonsensical to be taken seriously

Sniff, sniff, smells like . . .

encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEwDWvGBjUDxAuO0Wot7nw3WWu_rO6ffA1-3i71_6NKssTSEDr

You aren’t required to supply a sponsor. Generally people in the parish volunteer to do it for those of us that don’t know any Catholics to fulfill the role. That is how it was handled when I was received into the church. A non Catholic sponsor just isn’t possible. The whole point is to help you grow in your faith and be a go to person for questions. How is your Jewish friend supposed to help you with Catholic teachings?

Everything in your posts just doesn’t make sense and is nothing I’ve ever heard of in my experience in churches in 4 different states.

What made you seek out RCIA in the first place?

How old are you? If this is true, you seem to be taking a very immature approach to all of this. You simply tell people that after further research, you don’t agree with the churches teachings and no longer wish to be catholic. It’s that simple.

Lying about it and being deceiving is no way to go about it.

Heck, I’ve been Mormon, evangelical, Protestant and now looking into catholic. Do I care what other people think…no! I care where God wants me to be and what he thinks.

:popcorn: :popcorn:

tee

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.