How does faith in God brings us freedom

How does faith in God brings us freedom
Most people are enslaved by anxiety, worries, thoughts of revenge, hate, jealousy, feeling of inadequacy and selfishness. Lack of faith in God’s love is the common cause for all these enslavements. When we have doubts about God’s love we get anxious and worried. This makes us selfish. Furthermore, when we do not have faith in God’s love, we try to solve our problems by ungodly or hateful ways- such as: law suites, war, divorce and revenge. On the other hand, if we trust in God’s love; we know that His love can solve all the problems in the world. We will, therefore, solve our problems by forgiveness, mercy, compassion and self-sacrifice. Furthermore, if we believe that only God’s love in our heart is the true treasure we have; and also believe that no one can take this treasure away from us; then, we will feel secure and be free of anxiety, worries and selfishness. Furthermore, if we trust God we can be generous with our time and resource in helping others, because, then, we would not be worried about our own needs.

To me faith in God means faith in His ___ (mercy, justice, love, what have you).

To me freedom means freedom from the effects of separation from God inherited from Adam (also called original sin I think).

** How does faith in God bring us freedom ? **

Can we explain this from the angle of “truth will set us free”?

What or who is truth?

The Word of God is truth. We find truth in Jesus. Therefore, all His words and teachings are truth. Jesus is the truth, the only and absolute truth. Truth is the person of Jesus.

If we believe in truth and trust in God, if we heartily follow the Word of the Lord, our fears, worries, anxieties, concerns, shortcomings, selfishness…. though may not completely disappear, will diminish to the very minimum.

When we often commune with the Truth, our faith is strengthened, we are assured, and we will be set free.

The more we practice “being with the Truth” the better we may bring freedom into our daily lives.

we are also made free in the sense that we are enabled by Christ’s grace to live according to our true natures as God’s image and not according to pale shadows of our nature which are bound by sin. Just as a hammer can be said to be more free driving in nails than buttering toast, so are we more free if we live according to Christ’s commandments.

“Freedom is not the privilege of having the choice between good and evil, but the ability to choose only good.” (I forget where the source on this. I believe its Thomas Merton.)

No one deliberately choses evil for themselves. Rather, under disillusionment, they believe the evil they are choosing, is actually a good rather than an evil.

Faith in God, transforms us into loving as God loves, and through pure love, we can only choose as God chooses, which is only good. Choosing only good, is what makes us free.

Jim

No one deliberately choses evil for themselves. Rather, under disillusionment, they believe the evil they are choosing, is actually a good rather than an evil.

:thumbsup: …Pascal: “Every man acts in the interests of what is good…even the man who hangs himself”.

Faith in God, transforms us into loving as God loves, and through pure love, we can only choose as God chooses, which is only good. Choosing only good, is what makes us free.

:thumbsup:

Thomas Merton

:thumbsup:

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.