How does God deal with a person in the state of mortal sin?

If a person falls from grace, how does God deal with him? How does he see him? Does his love turn into anger? Or does the tragedy of this sin rouse more compassion for this person? What if this person is unrepentant?

I’ve heard before that God is unchanging. If a person sins, it is not God who changes but us. It is us who flee from his love and choose to become objects of his “anger.” I imagine it like the moon hiding from the unchanging light of the sun behind the shadow of the earth.

Still, it couldn’t explain God’s efforts to reconcile the sinful man. On the one hand, God is “angered” by his sins. On the other hand, God still loves this person that he intervens so that he could still be saved, just as God worked the redemption of man through the death of our Lord after the fall of Adam and Eve.

It seems to me that it is a mixture of love and anger. Much like a father disappointed by his son’s disobedience, but his compassion for his injuries is probably stronger than the offense he took from it. As it is written: “The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.” Psalm 103:8

What do you think?

I believe that God is a totally fair God and gives us by one means and another the ability to be ‘saved’ from our own short comings - even at our last breath we may experience a deep ‘Damascus Moment’ of conciliation/reconciliation - BUT DON’T COUNT ON IT - because death may come suddenly and at a time you hadn’t considered.

While that person is able it is best to exercise humility and contrition - achieved best in the Sacrament of Confession - especially if that person is Catholic and the sin is considered by the Church to be Grave.

God’s Love is fathomless as is His Divine Authority - but since He gave us ‘choice’ and ‘free will’ as part of our human nature it is incumbent on us to be humble enough acknowledge this Love and Divine Authority and in contrition ask His forgiveness.

To God we’re like movie characters of a movie he’s seen a million times. He knows in advance that this fellow or this gal, no matter how much “loving” pressure he exerts will never choose him. So he pulls back, sort of, because if you’re given a million chances and still don’t respond, you’ll be worse off in hell than someone who hasn’t had that many chances. That’s the theory behind predestination. So in all likelihood if one dies in mortal sin, that will mean God has run out of options to appeal to the person.

That’s actually wrong. I think it was the Lady of Fatima (?) who said that many souls perish (go to hell) because they have no one to pray for them. Someone on CAF said a few days ago that our intellect is not very impressive, that we’re like talking primates, I’m afraid we’re too limited to truly understand God’s economy in depth. At first glance, it would appear unjust, unfair that someone should be saved because they have people praying for him whereas another one, perhaps thru no fault of his own has no one to pray for him.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.