How does NFP work

I read a lot of thread where NFP is mentioned. I have tried to google it with no success. I am really curious about it.

Could someone please explain how it works. Hopefully, you will be comfortable posting every last detail

Thanks

CM

[quote="cmscms, post:1, topic:226563"]
I read a lot of thread where NFP is mentioned. I have tried to google it with no success. I am really curious about it.

Could someone please explain how it works. Hopefully, you will be comfortable posting every last detail

Thanks

CM

[/quote]

There's a few different methods. Your google must be broken, because mine comes up with dozens of sites that explain methods. Try "Natural Family Planning" it might work better for you.

Here's one to get you going...

nfpandmore.org/

It came up as my number one response when I typed in NFP to Google.

There are different methods of NFP (Natural Family Planning)...You also might try googling these:

Creighton Model
Billings Ovulation Model
Marquette Model
Couple to Couple League International (CCLI) / Sympto-Thermal Method of NFP

And the general terms "NFP" or even "fertility awareness" will give you a general understanding of the biology at work.

Here's a basic gist:

A woman has a fertility cycle that includes menstruation and ovulation, among other biological changes to prepare her body for the implantation of a fertilized egg. This fertility cycle can last and be "normal" for a given woman from 28-35 days.

A woman exhibits relatively easily discernible signs of fertility during each stage of this cycle. These signs include cervical fluid, cervical position, and temperature.

The signs will indicate the release of an egg by a woman's body.

An egg lives 24-48 hours. Sperm lives 3-5 days.

A couple can use this information to either avoid or achieve a pregnancy. If a couple abstains around the time a woman's signs indicate she soon will ovulate or already has ovulated, they decrease/eliminate their chances of conception. If a couple has intercourse around the time a woman's signs indicate she soon will ovulate or already has ovulated, they increase their chances of conception.

This is not a "how to" guide to NFP, but an explanation of the biology and principles at work. You'll need to actually learn a method if you want much more detail.

Thanks for the responses. Just one question, (and it is graphic). How does a woman check her cervical position? Does she need a special instrument?

Thanks

[quote="cmscms, post:4, topic:226563"]
Thanks for the responses. Just one question, (and it is graphic). How does a woman check her cervical position? Does she need a special instrument?

Thanks

[/quote]

No, fingers are usually enough to check cervical position. When checking the cervix one is looking for whether the cervix is high or low, open or closed, and soft/ripe or hard. Think of a doctors pelvic exam, they us a speculum when they take a sample but not when they check the uterus, and cervix.

Also, not all methods of NFP require a check of cervical position or even of temperature. There are many mucus-only methods.

Are you interested in finding an NFP method right for you, or just curious?

[quote="cmscms, post:4, topic:226563"]

Thanks

[/quote]

I am not familiar with this, but if you read about NFP, the cervical mucous is very easy to discern. My DH & I used this very successfully.

[quote="jilly4ski, post:5, topic:226563"]
No, fingers are usually enough to check cervical position. When checking the cervix one is looking for whether the cervix is high or low, open or closed, and soft/ripe or hard. Think of a doctors pelvic exam, they us a speculum when they take a sample but not when they check the uterus, and cervix.

[/quote]

OK, thank you for the honest reply. I must admit I blushed as I read it. So as I ask this question, I will blush some more.

Would experience eventually help me know about high and low. I really have no clue as to what any of it would feel like

And what positions are fertile and which are not?

CM

[quote="Rach620, post:6, topic:226563"]
Also, not all methods of NFP require a check of cervical position or even of temperature. There are many mucus-only methods.

Are you interested in finding an NFP method right for you, or just curious?

[/quote]

I ask for several reasons

1-) Curiosity

2-) I want to get to know my body. I am irregular and am hoping this will give me a better idea of when to expect my period

3-) If ever I do get married, I want to already know about this. I think in the rush of a marriage one could forget about this aspect

CM

[quote="heart4home, post:2, topic:226563"]
There's a few different methods. Your google must be broken, because mine comes up with dozens of sites that explain methods. Try "Natural Family Planning" it might work better for you.

Here's one to get you going...

nfpandmore.org/

It came up as my number one response when I typed in NFP to Google.

[/quote]

Thanks for the link but unfortuantely, it is like most of the links I have found. It tells me where I can buy a book. I wanted free information

CM

[quote="cmscms, post:10, topic:226563"]
Thanks for the link but unfortuantely, it is like most of the links I have found. It tells me where I can buy a book. I wanted free information

CM

[/quote]

You aren't going to get free information.

You need to take a class.

try www.woomb.org

You can read the material. If you want to take the course it’s for a fee.

[quote="1ke, post:11, topic:226563"]
You aren't going to get free information.

You need to take a class.

[/quote]

Agreed. NFP is simple in principle, but in getting to know one's body and learning to interpret/understand the signs (and act accordingly), you really do need formal instruction. To my knowledge there is nowhere online that provides a sufficient amount of free information to learn and actually begin practicing NFP.

Also, I would not recommend that any engaged or married woman attempt to self-teach NFP, as when those difficult times during marriage and hard-to-understand signs strike, it is good to have an instructor to turn to who can act as an expert interpreter of the chart. There are so many posts on CAF of frustrated NFP users who don't understand what their signs mean and are asking specific questions here that would be better asked of an expert who knows the woman and her particular pattern of fertility.

You don't need to be engaged or married to pursue NFP instruction. Particularly with the Creighton Model, many single women learn the method and chart as part of their overall healthcare. That said, it was an important part of our marriage preparation to learn NFP together and to be able to talk about this area of our married life openly and honestly.

If you want to learn the basics now, you can check out Toni Weschler's book Taking Charge of Your Fertility from the library. That coupled with charting on fertilityfriend.org will get you started, but you will learn MUCH, MUCH more if you pursue actual instruction. IMO, the only way to effectively use NFP is to use an instructor-based method; I believer there are studies that back this up.

I didn't have an NFP instructor within 2 hours of where I live, so I didn't have the benefit of formal instruction. I found a book on Amazon called "Honoring Our Cycles: A Natural Family Planning Workbook" that made it very easy to chart (chart worksheets included)and understand what I was charting. I bought that and a basal thermometer (all for less than $20) and we were able to effectively use NFP. I wish I could have had an instructor to ask questions, but the book did a pretty good job (including pictures) of explaining how/why/when, etc..

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.