How does one explain a miscarriage to children?

Hi~

Last weekend, I had my second miscarriage in two years. :frowning: This has been really difficult for all of us, especially for my younger children (ages 7 & 6). They were so excited about the baby, but now are very confused and full of questions. They can’t understand why God would let me get pregnant (twice!) only to take the children away from us; and if there was something physically wrong, why He wouldn’t heal me or the baby. Frankly, I’m having difficulty understanding it all myself. How can I explain this to my children so that they won’t lose faith?

Thanks, and God bless!

Hi,

God created your two children to be with Him in heaven right away. As you know, that’s where He wants all of us to be eventually. He just calls some people earlier than others. He always knows what is best for us. He has a knack for knowing what time it REALLY is. One day hopefully, your whole family will be re-united in heaven and you will understand the wisdom of His actions.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.