How Does One Explain?

Whenever I talk to a “militant” or at least aggressive Protestant, I always find myself on the defensive, and somewhat taken aback, no matter how much I may know on the subject. Expecially in such passages as “You shall call no man ‘Father.’” How does one answer things such as this without sounding like a fool?

The Bible is a Catholic book, but certain people use it to try to undermine the Catholic faith. How does one answer Biblical discrepencies without either losing the debate or sounding like a complete fool?

On this subject, how does one answer this Protestant Favorite: Catholics are looking to the words of men for religion. We look to the word of God. Your en may look to the Bible, but they still are obeying tradition, not religion.

I’ve got some ideas. I just want yours.

Hello,

This one falls apart in seconds. Ask your aggressor if he believes that we should listen to what Saint Paul tells us. If he says no, then his whole faith falls apart because Protestants generally consider Saint Paul as the best Apostle and take his teachings (usually horribly misinterpreted) as the foundation of their faith. When he says yes, then say “Well then, according to you Saint Paul is a heretic”. Then so him this quote from the Bible:

“I admonish you as my dearest children. For if you have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet not many fathers. For in Christ Jesus, by the gospel, I have begotten you.” (1 Corinthians 4:14-15).

Paul here is claiming to be their father. Although this is a spiritual fatherhood, which is how we consider the fatherhood of priests, it flies right in the face of their argument.

Ultimately, for me, the question continually returns to:
(1) What DID Jesus mean when he appointed Peter as the Rock on which his Church was built, and
(2) With the understanding that Peter is the foundation of “it,” what precisely is the Church?

These answers must be provided consistent with scripture, giving meaning to all relevant verses. Once that is done, I think an honest Christian will conclude that those “man-made traditions” have quite the divine origin . . .

The first response is perfect! Thank you!

That’s what I’ve noticed with the breed of militants. Many of them “live by the Bible,” yet they interpret wrongly. Perhaps we need to indoctrinate them with love and prayer :highprayer: lol

What is needed is for Catholics to know the Bible better! Especially how to interpret certain passages with the mind of the Church.

Then we can explain them properly to our Protestant brothers ans sisters.

What is needed is for Catholics to know the Bible better! Especially how to interpret certain passages with the mind of the Church.

Then we can explain them properly to our Protestant brothers and sisters.

If you really want to catch us protestants off guard share your testimony about your relationship with Jesus. Those who do not believe that catholics have a personal relationship with jesus would be off guard.

Amen to that, I have found that to be quite disarming. However some Protestants then tell me “Well, you are not like the majority of Catholics”. Some prejudices die hard.:slight_smile:

Remember that if no human called anyone else “father,” that symbolism of God the Father would be lost on humanity. God would become God the Asfnowjern because the term “father” would have no meaning apart from God alone, which would, again, cause it to lose its symbolism in the first place

Whenever I talk to a “militant” or at least aggressive Protestant, I always find myself on the defensive, and somewhat taken aback, no matter how much I may know on the subject. Expecially in such passages as “You shall call no man ‘Father.’” How does one answer things such as this without sounding like a fool?

Well, this is quite easy to argue against and there are several ways to do so (I would suggest using all).

1. Ask the protestant how he calls his mother’s husband. Inseminator? :stuck_out_tongue:

2. Point him out to the different places where father is used in the bible. Ask him if all these people are breaking the law and if Jesus is an hypocrite.

Acts 7:2
To this he [Stephen who was filled with Holy Spirit - Acts 7:55] replied: "Brothers and fathers, listen to me! The God of glory appeared to our father Abraham while he was still in Mesopotamia, before he lived in Haran.

John 8:56 (Jesus is speaking)
Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad.

Romans 9:10
Not only that, but Rebekah’s children had one and the same father, our father Isaac.

etc.

1. Now ask him how he goes along not calling anyone teacher.

Matthew 23:10
Nor are you to be called ‘teacher,’ for you have one Teacher, the Christ.

Tremendous points, everyone, thank you!

Another Protestant/Catholic discrepancy: Mary. I once had someone say that she wasn’t the mother of God. Well, I quoted some sources, some scripture, adn some common sense to prove otherwise. Then he goes on to say, “Well, if she’s not the mother of God, then she must not be a Virgin. Thus, your worship of her is idolatrous.” I then had to explain he don’t pray “to” her, but rather, “through” her.

How does one combat Marian heresies like mentioned above and discussed in centuries past?

The best Marian defence against our so called “worship” is to have them answer these two simple points. They can go in either order so you can put them in the way you think would have the best effect.

1. Jesus, being totally perfect, never sinned. The Fourth Commandment is “Honor Thy Father and Thy Mother.” The Hebrew word “honor” can alternatively be translated as “glorify.” So Jesus to remain sinless would have to honor and glorify his mother. Now, I don’t think many Protestants deny Jesus was born, so he must have a mother.

2. We should imiate Jesus in all things because he was perfect and told us to “be perfect.” In order to imitate Jesus we would have to likewise glorify his mother.

To the fact Mary was a virgin one needs only to read Matthew 1:18-25.

[quote=“Matthew 1:25”]He [Joseph] had no relations with her[Mary]…
[/quote]

Or we could goto to the infancy narritive in Luke both are definative that Mary did not have relations with Joseph.

I definitely have had similar experiences. It actually strengthens my Catholic faith. Topic recommendation for your next debate: “Praying for the saints”

Ephesians 6:18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.