How does one go about switching Rites

The Immaculate Conception
Any other doctrine set forth by the universal magisterium

What is the Latin Churches reason for the Immaculate Conception? I know, just want to see your understanding of it.

Thanks,
ZP

The way I was taught about the procession of the Holy Spirit was the game of catch analogy, being that “the father picked up a ball and said let’s have a catch to his son, the father and the son had a game of catch and the game of catch itself is the holy spirit” being that the holy spirit couldn’t have existed without the father starting it but without the son it couldn’t have been supported, and that the relationship between them is itself the spirit of God, and believing in the fact that the father has a relationship to Jesus is itself the holy spirit. Not sure if this is valid… however most latin rite apologists explained it to me this way. I am originally a latin rite catholic from my birth

Basically that kecharomine means “perfected by grace” and that she was the new ark and the new eve and thus without sin. If you want to see more about this and the support from the bible, check out Catholic answers immaculate conception article.

I am aware. Thanks :slight_smile:

In the East we believe that one is born with the consequences of Adam’s sin, death, not and inherited guilt. Because of this, we believe that the Immaculate Conception is unnecessary. A favorite saying is that it is like making 2+2=4 a dogma.

Mary, as a human being, could have sinned, but she chose not to.

ZP

Original sin is also dogmatic. Obviously, there are Catholics of every rite who do not accept the teachings of the Church.

Latin Catholics never said that. Just as eve was born without sin and chose to sin, we believe mary was born without sin and then didn’t do any sin after. Also in baptism you are washing away the guilt, if you were just washing away the sin itself then why would you die.

Nowhere do we say she could not have sinned, we say she could have but she didn’t.

Also cool fact those are my initials as well hahaha

That seems surprising to me. I know a fair number of Latin rite people are regulars at eastern churches in the United States. But I wouldn’t have thought that many would seek to officially transfer.

There is no real need to transfer rites. I’ve been part of a Byzantine parish for some time now and live liturgically, spiritually and theologically Byzantine. I’m only considering a transfer because I would like my daughter to be Byzantine and I consider myself Byzantine Catholic and have for quite some time.

ZP

This is generally why people transfer. Although it is possible, as a Latin-rite Catholic, to have your children baptized in your Byzantine parish, it can complicate things later in life when your kids have always assumed that they are Byzantine and find out that they are not.

I think I prefer the Eastern way of thinking over the West. Sometimes the answer is either ‘unknown’ or ‘unknowable’.

Or both simultaneously :scream::rofl::crazy_face:

hawk

Others might have stated it already but my understanding is that the only reasons for switching from one rite to another is for Sacramental purposes (inter-communion marriages, seeking holy orders, etc) or if one is seeking to dedicate themselves to the tradition of that rite. For example, as a Roman Catholic who is already married to a Roman Catholic, the only reasons I could conceive of switching rites to Ruthentian Byzantine (as an example) would be to seek holy orders as a Deacon (possible) or a priest (possible but not likely as it’s very frowned upon by both East and West). The other exception could be if I wanted to fall under the Code of Canon Law of the Eastern Church as it differs from Rome’s.

If all you’re interested in switching for is to be able to attend as a parishioner then you don’t need to switch. Just sign up through the parish and you are officially a member of that Church. Most of the Catholics who attend the Ruthenian Byzantine Church my family goes to, as often as we can, are Roman Catholics.

The reason I wanted to join is because I haven’t been going to mass because the one close to me changed mass to be super early, so I’ll probably be going to the liturgy instead from now on because it’s at a better time, also it is so beautiful. Also if I were to be a priest, at least here I could have a wife. Also I’m not a big fan of novus ordo and I like traditional things but I don’t like tridentine mass because I can’t understand it. So I think this would be a nice compromise between them.

I don’t mean any disrespect to you but you are going about things for all the wrong reasons. The Divine Liturgy of the Eastern Catholic Churches should never be treated as a “compromise” for the difficulties of the Roman Catholic Church. I admit, that was my reasoning when I first encountered Eastern worship as well, but they helped me see how erroneous my thinking was. And in the ECC’s, you don’t get to be married if you are already a priest. Priest’s don’t get married, whether East or West. The difference is that the ECC’s sometimes will ordian married men to the priesthood. This is more common outside of the United States (I don’t know if you are American or from elsewhere). It would be wrong to dismiss the Latin Mass just because one does not speak Latin. There’s a wealth of knowledge and beauty there that requires commitment and effort to unearth. The Latin Mass is a treasure of the Church. The same is equally said of the Divine Liturgy. If you want to become an Eastern Catholic, the primary motivation must be holiness. That you are seeking to be closer to Christ through Eastern spirituality and devotionals. The Divine Liturgy is far more accessible, in my opinion, than the Latin Mass but both are beautiful in their own ways.

That is not the reason, I want to go because I think the divine liturgy is better, I’m just saying on top of that one of the driving factors is that not only is it better but it’s that it would also be easier for me to attend than my birth parish. I am aware that you can’t marry someone wheb ordained.

Also when I said that I can’t understand it, I mean that I don’t know really what to do. Not that it’s in a different language. I’ve tried looking at stuff like "how to do tridentine mass without any liturgical or laity abuse but the video captions for the cues are all in latin so Idk what they’re doing.

Unless you realize that the threshold for “dedicate themselves to the tradition” is very low, your understanding is incorrect.

Preferring the other rite is sufficient.

My daughter and her husband to be both transitioned while engaged, out of preference–whichhad the consequence of not needing permission to marrying that rite . . .

“sometimes” is very much the wrong word.

Save for the maronites, marriage before ordination is the norm, although most churches will ordain unmarried men outdie the monastery.

North America was an exception, living under the wrongful tyranny of cum data fuerit until very recently.

hawk

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.