How does one go to Confession weekly?

How does one go to confession weekly without being scrupulous?

[quote="Warandpeace, post:1, topic:303217"]

[/quote]

I go weekly, but I'm not sure how to answer your question. I'm not scrupulous, but I have developed a delicate conscience for sin. If you're not scrupulous, you should be able to go weekly. Going to confession weekly doesn't make someone scrupulous. Normally the person already has a scrupulous conscience to begin with.

Every night I try to do an examination of conscience and even without being scrupulous, I can think of many, many sins of thought and of omission (without even counting handfuls of sins of deed).

Yes, they may be venial sins, and I may still have sanctifying grace, though weakened.

But who in this life can understand what it means, to offend God?

The Sacrament of Reconciliation is not only for when we have killed our souls by betraying Christ in mortal sin. It is a wonderful garden in which we go and meet with the Beloved even when sanctifying grace is within us, apologize for our offenses, tell Him about our vices and imperfections and on how we are trying to replace them with virtues and to seek perfection, and ask Him for greater light to see deeper into our nothingness and not let any sins go unnoticed. We then receive, with absolution, sanctifying grace when we have lost it, but if we hadn’t, then it will be reinforced in us a hundredfold, configuring us more perfectly to Christ.

Remember that Christ has a high goal from us. He did not say: “keep your soul alive, and if you sin mortally, then confess”. No, He said: “be perfect, like the heavenly Father is perfect”. Even without scruples (and even being, I know well, a man with pride and vanity :blush:) I know I am far, far from that perfection…perhaps more than I can be in a lifetime (though God can sanctify us in an instant). Thus the need for weekly confession :o

I go to Confession weekly, and I definately am not scrupulous! Weekly Confession is easy. I log on to one of several "Examination of Conscience" sites, Say a silent prayer to G*d to help me examine my conscience completly and honestly, while following one of the guides on that site. I write down my sins on paper, which I take with me into the confessional. When I make my confession, I usually read my sins from the paper-there is usually enough light coming through the grating so I can read.
The only thing I can add is to make sure you are alone when examining your conscience utilizing a computor, and make sure you get rid of the paper after confession. I usually shred mine in a paper shredder.
G*d Bless!

The beauty of frequent Confession is like a flower that blooms slowly. Your relationship with God grows stronger with each Confession.

Each evening just before bed, I make an examination of conscience, sometimes with an app or other guide. I begin with a prayer. Review my day - what moments would I like to redo in order to be more pleasing to God. I make notes.

You should find a priest who will hear your confession weekly.

BTW, I’m not the least bit scrupulous.

I’ll say a prayer for you.

When I was in the habit of weekly confession, I tended to focus on one bad habit at a time. I examined my conscience for everything, but I made it a personal goal to eventually not have to confess a specific sin. It helped me a lot. It's not ideal, but there was a few times when I was about to commit a specific sin, and I didn't just because I didn't want to have to tell the priest that AGAIN. This was face-to-face with the same priest every week.

[quote="Warandpeace, post:1, topic:303217"]

[/quote]

Father Todd Reitmeyer:
"I go to Confession at least once a week, sometimes more. I refuse to let that imposter, death, catch me off guard. If I wait longer than a week, I find myself grumpier and less patient with people. I need that forgiveness from the Father, and that peace of the Holy Spirit, which only Confession can give."

Please read the whole article, it is eye opening.

[quote="Cristiano, post:7, topic:303217"]
Father Todd Reitmeyer:
"I go to Confession at least once a week, sometimes more. I refuse to let that imposter, death, catch me off guard. If I wait longer than a week, I find myself grumpier and less patient with people. I need that forgiveness from the Father, and that peace of the Holy Spirit, which only Confession can give."

[/quote]

Thank you very much for sharing this touching story.

[quote="ilySHJ, post:8, topic:303217"]
Thank you very much for sharing this touching story.

[/quote]

Fr. Todd celebrated his last Mass for the occasion of his goddaughter's first communion and during the homily he spoke of the good habit of frequent confession. He died a couple of days later.

[quote="Cristiano, post:7, topic:303217"]
Father Todd Reitmeyer:

[/quote]

Thank you so much for sharing this article. We are truly blessed to have such a wonderful gift in this sacrament.

Your priest will help you determine if you are scrupulous. Usually that means not understanding the difference in gravity of action (thinking a fleeting thought of lust and adultery are the same thing), and also a tendancy to second-guess a confession or absolution.

Following a good examine of conscience and being aware of our faults is not the same thing - scripture tells us that a just man falls 7 times a day - so there are likely at least 49 faults for us to confess every week. :D

I don't go to weekly confession although I have thought about it often and my parish offers plenty of opportunity. Usually I go once a month, but I am now two months overdue and I can very clearly see a downward trajectory in my behavior and attitudes! :o Time for me to get back on track!

I think if you are worried about being scrupulous, you are probably not scrupulous.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.