How does one know if the devil is attacking them?

I’m currently doing a 54-day rosary novena. Already on my 2nd day, and I keep getting thoughts of how the rosary is useless, how God isn’t listening, how I should just leave the Catholic Church and how there is no point of praying at all.

Previously, I recall wanting to help free 10 million souls from Purgatory. Anyways, on the day that I dedicated to this feat, I recall hating God so much and even blaspheming His name on several occasions. This hatred for God just came about on the day. In addition, we had two men who came to repair several things in our house (of all days!), and so I couldn’t even pray at all, and not a single Holy Soul was saved.

How does one know if the devil is “attacking” them, for lack of a better word :confused:. I’m not really sure what to do now :frowning:

Do you know much about discernment of the spirits, as taught by St Ignatius of Loyola? He advises that ideas and thoughts that come to us in dramatic fashion and give us little peace come from bad places or spirits. It’s called desolation. Thoughts that come to us in a quieter fashion and give us hope or peace are called consolation and come from good spirits or a good place :slight_smile:

I’ve heard about St. Ignatius of Loyola several times here about his “spiritual exercises”. I have never looked deeply into it; nor do I have experience in discerning spirits, but I think it’s the devil based on this experience and the previous one.

Why is it that all of a sudden I become so anxious, and doubt the rosary so much? The devil (or at least I think) comes to me in a sort of intellectual fashion, and I get thoughts such as “look at all the bad things you’ve experienced over these few years. Why pray to a God that allowed it to happen under His watch”. I’ve also had very strong doubts about whether God even listens. If it is the devil, he’s quite smart and knows how I am inside out. It’s just so irritating, and this is only my 2nd day :(. I might try to make it through to the end, but it’s very heartbreaking I’m enduring this whilst trying to accomplish what I’ve set out to do.

I think it will do you more harm if you dwell on this feeling. I get such a profound feeling of peace and feeling of connection to God after finishing any devotion, that if I were you I would shrug it off and say " Nice Try!!". We all have times when we feel as though our prayers and practices are of no avail. I look at these times as a test of Faith. The devil likes to worm his way into our thoughts. To try and discourage us from continuing our journey to salvation and following in Jesus’ footsteps. During times such as these is when I change course in my journey. You have just started a course change with your Novena. I take these times to do some spiritual reading. I personally find myself called to learn about St Francis and his teachings. I am currently beginning to learn about The Liturgy of the Hours, to try and incorporate this into my day. I really believe that by communicating our fears and asking for help on our journey, we can defeat the devil and his insidious attacks. If anyone ever has need for an outlet, they can always feel free to message me. I might not have the best answer or advice , but I will always lend an ear.

If you get the feeling that a little red guy with horns is poking you with a pitchfork, then that is probably the devil :D.

Seriously, what you are experiencing is very common. The devil knows the struggles you have been having and he wants to keep you in that state of confusion and despair.

Have you ever had a bad fever? Before the fever breaks, you get very hot, sweaty and uncomfortable. It is a very uncomfortable, and you are at the peak of suffering. Then it is all gone and you feel so much better. What you are experiencing is the same thing. It just takes a little longer for this sensation to go away. I will keep you prayers during your novena, that you begin to feel the joy of Jesus again.

Please look in your private mail box.

Seems like the enemy finds you quite threatening, and is attacking you via your thoughts. I am in agreement with Jim’s earlier response. Just shrug it off, and keep going. I know once I was praying the 54-day Rosary Novena for someone who had lead a scandalous life, had settled down via the church, and then proceeded to experience marital strife. I suspected that the enemy was at work, so I started the 54-day Rosary Novena for them. Well, my heaven’s, I cannot tell you the number of terrible challenges we started to experience here: illnesses, unusual situations, etc. I continued praying, though it was like going through a terrible storm. In the end, I finished the Rosary Novena, and guess what? The marriage is quite peaceful now! :slight_smile:

Please keep us posted!

Heavenly Father, in the Name of Your Son Jesus Christ, please release Bohm of the attacks of the enemy. Amen.

Incredible post NiceMimi. I’m very glad that the marriage is peaceful now.

I have another idea. Do you think I should offer up the devil’s attacks - should they come - in reparation for my previous sins/for the deliverance of the Holy Souls in Purgatory?

The devil has been attacking me recently with temptations to become a Wiccan. I am fighting the temptations as best I can though.

Hi, bohm…first, I commend you for your perseverance and dedication and I will keep you in my prayers.

Yes, you should persevere in the Novena and endeavor to finish it. It is a struggle and well worth it when you reach the finish line.

I suggest you may want to read up on saints who where attached by the devil and how they persevered. I would suggest St. Gemman Galgani and St. John Vianney.

God bless…

Prayin’ for you too Holly. Same goes out to you. Keep the Faith. Change course in your journey towards God, not away from him. Message if you need an outlet.

Beloved friend,

I truly don’t feel that you hate God. I have a feeling that you are upset over something or in a mental state that anyone would feel your ire. (not saying you are mental per se) And God is who you choose to berate. There are a lot of times that we rail at God especially in times when they are especially bad or we lose someone we love. Then we blame God. Plus, those are times that bring about anger. Trust me, He understands. But, please do not leave Him nor forsake Him. That is an unforgivable sin. Ask for His Forgiveness and He will give it to you.

Instead pray to Michael the Archangel to help combat Satan and his demons so that your time with God will be wonderful and you will have a peaceful mediation. Also, pray to God to surround you with Angels like a barricade so that no demonic thought can penetrate. I will pray for you and please know we all care. :knight2:

Love you,
Sheila

Holy Michael, the Archangel ,
defend us in battle .
Be thou our protection
against the wickedness and snares of the devil .
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray ;
and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host ,
by the Divine Power of God, cast into hell ,
Satan and all other evil spirits,
who wander through the world ,
seeking the ruin of souls .
Amen .**:gopray2:

Ive had similar things happen during prayer. Just perervere through it and know that God knows your heart. He knows that these thoughts bother you. Suck it up and pray.

Thank you for your prayers everyone. It is very much appreciated. I managed to pray the rosary in peace without any mental taunts. Reminds me of the biblical verse:

For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.” (Matthew 18:20).

Thank you once again, and may God bless you and keep you :slight_smile:

I am with Pablope. Just continue the 54 Day Rosary Novena no matter what happens. Keeping your focus on the Rosary Novena will keep your focus on God. When you do that, everything falls into place. Just trust the Lord.

Heavenly Father, in faith, I thank You for having mercy and helping Bohm. Amen.

Discernment of spirits is one of the higher gifts of the Holy Spirit. I found a link of Ignation discernment since you have already made that connection. I did have really good paper of it and will try to relocate it…
ignatianspirituality.com/making-good-decisions/discernment-of-spirits/

Here it is. It was approved to me by my confessor and found very sound…
ewtn.com/library/scriptur/disspr.txt

From Fr. Fortea’s book, Interview With an Exorcist:

“There is no way to distinguish temptations of demonic origin from those that come from within us. Demons tempt us by infusing thought in our minds. In other words, a demon introduces into our reason, memory, and imagination intellectual objects proper to our understanding that cannot be distinguished from our own thought.”

I ask my guardian angel to pray along with me. It helps. :thumbsup:

Today, I feel like worshiping the Devil :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

You may be under a demonic attack.

Receive the sacraments. The devil hates a clean soul. Go to confession. Receive the Eucharist as often as possible. Bless your house. I would use the prayer against Malefice from the Greed Ritual. catholic-forum.com/churches/cathteach/exorcist_prayers.htm

Often times I light some blessed incense (frankincense and myrrh) while I pray. Frankincense as a sign of Christ’s divinity, and myrrh to portend His passion and death. I think that it is pleasing to angels and frustrating to demons.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.