How does one percieve their call?

Dear friends,

Hello, this is TruthSeeker92!

I am wondering, how does a person understand what they are called to be?

Can someone be attracted to one vocation, and yet really be called to another?

What did some of you all feel or experience when you were called to a particular vocation?

Thanks!
God bless!

Honestly, I have no idea… Im my self in the middle of it:shrug:

pray for guidance every day. Spend time (if permissable) before the Lord if you are near an adoration chapel. Speak with a Priest who can be your vocational director. They can help you through the process of discernment. Open yourself entirely to the Lord and prepare yourself to heed His call at a moments notice. The Lord has a mission for all of us after all. We're all called to be Saints in one form or another. Hope this helps! God Bless :thumbsup:

[quote="TruthSeeker92, post:1, topic:259250"]

I am wondering, how does a person understand what they are called to be?

[/quote]

Only through prayer and listening can one discern the will of God. Spiritual directors are highly recommended because they help the candidate wade through the spiritual confusion and assist in finding the candidate's true vocation. However, there must come a time when the candidate tests the waters and applies to an order. Living the life is the surest way to discern whether or not one is called. You can never be certain of a lifelong vocation until you make your final vows. The period called formation is a time of trying out the life, especially when one makes temporary vows.

Can someone be attracted to one vocation, and yet really be called to another?

Absolutely. As I stated above, a person cannot be certain of their calling until they make final vows. Simply being attracted to a particular order does not guarantee that one has a calling there. There are three important parts of discernment and if any of them are missing, the attraction is invalid:

The First Sign is a Desire for the Life
The Second Sign is the Right Motivation
The Third Sign is Fitness for the Life

Of course, the candidate must be accepted by the order, as well. More information here.

What did some of you all feel or experience when you were called to a particular vocation?

I am still discerning, but I felt tremendous peace when I finally decided to investigate the possible attraction I had to religious life. I have spent much time in the company of religious since my reversion in December 2007, including my first application to a community in 2009. I ended up discerning that God was not calling me there, though, and I voluntarily withdrew my application. Since then, it's been a rollercoaster ride. I have been through a 7 month period of non-discernment where I spent more time developing my prayer life and growing closer to God. I was in contact with a religious community recently, but it became clear that I was not called to visit them as I previously thought. Now, I am in contact with the order that I believe God has been calling me to investigate since late 2008, but my blindness to His will got in the way. I have arranged to visit them next month and have never felt so much peace about my possible vocation -- even when I applied to the first order in 2009. I'm hoping, if all goes well, that I will be able to apply after my visit and enter next year's postulancy class. :)

[LEFT]From www.foryourvocation.org[/LEFT]

[LEFT]VOCATION QUIZ[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Does your relationship with God sustain you, enliven you, and invigorate you in such a way you want to share the good news of Jesus Christ with others?[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Do you have a desire to serve others more?[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Is the work you do in weekly ministry more fulfilling than your 40-hour work week?[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Do you feel called to give more or be more?[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Do you long for more?[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Do you find yourself searching the Internet for information regarding the priesthood or consecrated life?[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Does the idea of becoming a brother, sister, or priest keep coming back time and time again?[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Do you have a sneaking suspicion you are on the brink of a major life decision?[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Answering yes to these questions may confirm that you hear the call[/LEFT]
to discern your vocation to the priesthood or consecrated life.

[LEFT]We invite you to take time to look at the resources available to you on this website ***[/LEFT]
and to consider talking to a Vocation Director about these possibilities in person.

*** www.foryourvocation.org

Through prayer.

Thank you everyone for all of your advice!

Please pray for me because I want to know what kind of life I am being called to, and yet I am terrifed to know. :o I feel like I am not ready. I am in school currently, and I hope that is part of God's plan!

I want to be brave. I also definatley need a spiritual director. I need to find one ASAP! :)

Blessings to everyone!

TruthSeeker92

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.