How does one refer to a Catholic?

Often I tell someone I am a Catholic and then I’m pressed with the question on what the differences between a Catholic and Christian are. Every time I say that Catholics ARE Christians, and that we belong to that denomination. So I ask you, is Catholicism really a religion in itself or are we a denomination?

We are Christian. So by todays terms yes, we are a denomination of Christianity.

Yes, Catholics are Christians, but not all Christians are Catholics…just like all mothers are women, but not all women are mothers.

The best way to describe us (Catholics) is to say that our church is the one Jesus established on earth before He died for our sins, and that through the sacraments, we are united with Him physically and spiritually. We believe in His true, actual, physical presence in the Holy Eucharist. We follow the Bible and traditions that Jesus started and were handed down through the apostles.

Hope that helps. God bless! :smiley:

Catholicism is the original and only Christianity.

Just say you’re pre-denominational. :slight_smile:

I like it! :thumbsup:

you say I am a Catholic
why aren’t you Christian?
I am Christian, all Catholics are Christians, because we belong to the Church founded by Jesus Christ 2000 years ago.
well I am a Christian and I believe–my pastor says–I read on the internet–that Catholics are
the anti-Christ–not Christian–idolators etc.

well, I am sorry you choose not to believe what I say, and sorry you choose to make that judgement despite my clear confession of faith. Since you have insulted my religion and called me a liar, this discussion is over. Please feel free to call any time you are interested in learning the truth about Catholics.

NOT a denomination. :slight_smile: An article on the point:

bringyou.to/apologetics/a130.htm

In one short phrase, "my brother (or sister) in Christ.

There are no differences between a Catholic and a Christian–the two are the same. I wouldn’t even entertain such a question. :rolleyes:

Just refer to yourself as a ‘Catholic Christian’. I refer to myself as an ‘Anglican Christian’. Works fine in most every case. Disarms those who, since the 1970’s, think it is bad form to emphasize one’s denomination over one’s relationship to Christ. You are STILL going to get questions about RCC teachings or practices, STILL going to get responses that reflect ignorance and stereotypes, but you can deal with those separately. If someone asks about your relationship with Christ, just make it clear you have a vital living relationship with Him, and that the sacraments and liturgy of the RCC help you to sustain that relationship. Many Evangelicals won’t understand that, but in most cases they won’ t pursue the matter much further unless they’re really spoiling for a fight.

What in the world…

Here we go again. Tell us how you really feel: Are Protestants not Christians at all?

I think it is there in black and white.

My MIL calls us Pagans. But I don’t think that’ll work.:wink:

Here’s a novel idea…Mr. Mrs. Miss. or Dr. or whatever title one holds. Sometimes “HEY YOU” works. But avoid things I can’t type here. They’ll just get your behind kicked if you say it to the wrong Catholic.

Why do you think of yourself first as Catholic and secondly Christian?

Not physical presence. Real and true and sacremental, but not physical.

Did somebody say that or did you misread something?

Its de facto.

I think of myself as Catholic. I don’t identify myself to myself as Christian except in contrast to non-Christians. To me, as a Catholic, the term Christian as it is used today is too broad and encompasses such a variety of beliefs about Christ that I tend to avoid it.

As a Catholic I have a personal relationship with Jesus and, as well, I have the assurance of faithful teaching from the church He established and I have all the sacraments.

So I do think of myself primarily as Catholic because it is a more complete term or better describes me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.