How does one respond to this Protestant denial of the real presence?

I am 18 years old, Catholic, and found the following very challenging or credible.

contenderministries.org/Catholicism/eucharist.php

Please respond.

Hi Kate,

While the Gospels are replete with the use of metaphors and figurative or symbolic meanings, John 6 is not such an example. To understand this passage one has to look at the context. .” In John 6:52 the Jews disputed among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?” And then Jesus becomes bolder: “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.” Then in verse 55 Jesus explicitly states: “For my flesh is real food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. In verse 60 we read: “Many of his disciples, when they heard it, said, ‘This is a hard saying; who can listen to it?’” And in verse 60: “After this many of his disciples drew back and no longer went about with him.”

So why did so many leave Him at this point IF He was only speaking figuratively? If they had misunderstood, surely He would have corrected their interpretation. He well knew that Jews were forbidden to drink any kind of blood, let alone human blood. The fact is, He did not correct what He had said about consuming His body and blood because He literally meant it. In verse 67 “Jesus said to the twelve, ‘Will you also go away? Simon Peter answered him, ‘Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.” The Apostles did not understand Him any better than the others did, but they had faith in Him. From the very beginning, the Eucharist has rested on faith in the authority of Jesus.

Altars go back far before Pope Sixtus II in the fifth century. See: History of the Christian Altar

The early Church fathers give explicit evidence of the belief of the early Church in the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist. St. Ignatius of Antioch (110 A.D.) wrote: “(Heretics) abstain from Eucharist and from prayer because they do not confess that the Eucharist is the Flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ” (Letter to Smyrnaeans 6, 2) St. Justin Martyr (150 A.D. wrote: “…not as common bread nor common drink do we receive these; but…as we have been taught, the food which has been made into the Eucharist by the Eucharistic prayer set down by him, and by the change which our body and flesh is nourished, is both the Flesh and Blood of that incarnated Jesus.” (First Apology 66, 20)

Here are many more citations: catholic.com/library/Real_Presence.asp

catholic.com/library/Christ_in_the_Eucharist.asp

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.