How does one show that learning about their faith is important

Could some members on this forum give me good reasons for those to learn more about our faith. Some people ask this to me and I cannot give a fantastic answer.
Another question is “How does it effect me?”

Always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you. [1Pet 3:15]

Would you be ready to give a good answer so someone of another faith when the ask you a question? If you cannot give a good answer then you would need to learn more of the Catholic faith.

If someone would ask you:

“Have you been born again, and accepted Christ as your personal Lord and Savior”

“When God ask you, why should I let you into heaven what would you say”

“Your infant baptism is meaningless, Bible does not have any infants being baptized, you need a believers baptism”

“How can a man, (Priest) change bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Christ? that is why it is just a symbol”

Just a few questions that I have had to deal with, and with out knowledge of our faith and not being able to give them an answer will make them think less of our faith.

We should want everyone to become Catholic, and if we do not know our faith, then:) we have lost before we even get started.

I learn about the faith because I love Jesus. Learning the faith helps me grow closer to the one I love.

-Tim-

While I was earnestly seeking the Lord today for His guidance and direction on how to proceed with this work of obedience He has laid upon me, I had a vision that I will explain, for it will serve as the foundation of this writing.

I thought of the soul as resembling a castle, formed of a single diamond or a very transparent crystal surrounded by mansions containing many rooms just as in heaven there are many mansions.

If we reflect on this, we will see that the soul of a just man is a garden in which the Beloved takes great delight. What do you imagine that dwelling must be like for God to delight in it? He is our Creator, so mighty, so wise, and so pure, containing all good in himself. Nothing can be compared to the great beauty and capabilities of a soul. However keen our intellects may be, they are as unable to comprehend them as to comprehend God, for as He told us, He has created us in His own image and likeness.

This being so, we need not tire ourselves by trying to understand all the beauty of this castle, although being His creature there is as much difference between the soul and God as is between the creature and the Creator. The fact that we are made in God’s image shows us how great are the dignity and loveliness of the soul. It is no small misfortune or disgrace that through our own fault we neither understand our nature nor our origin. Would it not be gross ignorance, if when a man was questioned about his name, country, or parents, he could not answer? Foolish as this would be, it is unspeakably more foolish to care to learn nothing of our nature except that we possess bodies, and only vaguely realize that we have souls, because people say so, and it is a doctrine of faith. Rarely do we think about what gifts our souls may possess, who dwells within them, or how extremely precious they are. Therefore, we do little to preserve their beauty, all our care is concentrated on our bodies that are but the setting of the diamond, or the outer walls of the castle.

-St. Teresa of Avila, the opening to “Interior Castle”

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life.
Jesus founded the Catholic Church.
That Church is the pillar and foundation of Truth.

It affects you through the Sacraments He instituted for us especially the Eucharist. When one talks about a personal relationship with Jesus you can not get more personal then to receive His Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity. And when you say Amen you are saying Amen to all that Jesus and His Church teaches.

I find when one is in their youth it is not good to give all that doctrine and dogma all at once. The advice I give is to try to lead them into it. Don’t start with too much dogma and doctrine but learn to invite people into it by what I call small stepping stones. For instance if you teach youth all what Jesus had done for us it might put them off since it does not strike them what it exactly means. So the best way is to lead them into it by inviting them into something they want to know or already know. For instance allow them to ask something they want to know. I find science, astronomy and chemistry an excellent avenue for the youth to engage into discussions about God and how the Universe came to be. Using the science of astronomy and chemistry will help them to understand certain principals they are taught in school and by putting God into the equation helps bring up some of the teachings which the Church holds dear to. My niece for instance loves astronomy and chemistry so I will use these subjects she loves so much to introduce God into the picture. I am a very good authority on chemistry and astronomy and will use it when discussing with someone to bring in God as well. It doesn’t have to be chemistry or astronomy but any subject which will help invite God into the picture.

Without building up our knowledge of The Faith we will be unable to build up the Faith of Our brothers and sisters. The First things are God and Others, It shouldn’t be about me.

What do you say to people that say “What does the faith have to do with me?” or "All I need to know that Jesus rose from the dead and that’s it."or something on the lines of these two.

Our faith gives humanity a great hope-without which we are lost. Our faith claims that we can know God, know that God exists and that He’s good beyond limitation and that He desires nothing less than an eternal life of sheer boundless happiness for those who embrace goodness as well.

Peter gave this answer. He lists 7 attributes to add to our faith. Note: knowledge is 2nd on the list.

2 Pet 1:
3 His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to**(“https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2%20pet&version=RSVCE#fen-RSVCE-34640b”)] his own glory and excellence, 4 by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, that through these you may escape from the corruption that is in the world because of passion, and become partakers of the divine nature.c] 5 For this very reason make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, 6 and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, 7 and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with** love**. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For whoever lacks these things is blind and shortsighted and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins. 10 Therefore, brethren, be the more zealous to confirm your call and election, for if you do this you will never fall; 11 so there will be richly provided for you an entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
12 Therefore I intend always to remind you of these things, though you know them and are established in the truth that you have. 13 I think it right, as long as I am in this body,d] to arouse you by way of reminder, 14 since I know that the putting off of my bodye] will be soon, as our Lord Jesus Christ showed me. 15 And I will see to it that after my departure you may be able at any time to recall these things."

Note: we are to add to our faith these attributes in ever increasing amounts

Why? Because
[LIST]
*]it will keep one from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of Jesus Christ. Whoever lacks these things is blind and shortsighted
*]we need to be more zealous in adding these, in order to confirm our call and election,
*]if one adds these things zealously in ever increasing amounts, they won’t fall
*]there will be richly provided for that one an entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. :cool:
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.