How does one's name get written in the book of life?

Rev 20:15 says, “And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire”. How does one’s name get in the book of life?

Sigh…I think mine is done very lightly in pencil…or maybe even just on a sticky note…

When you are Baptized, and follow Jesus to the last, persevering in all HE revealed to us through HIS Church, taking advantage of all the Sacraments HE gave us to help in persevering. You will be found on the Book of Life.

Those who reject HIM or HIS Church and HIS commandments probably not. Note I said “probably” since only GOD has the last judgement on who gets to be written in the Book of Life.

Book of Life === Heaven, saved, Saint (with the capital s)

God foreknows our choices, whether we’ll ultimately accept or reject Him. He, alone, knows who’s written in the book of life, but John 5:24 gives us some idea:
"Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life." Of course this implies acting on Jesus’ words:
"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock." Matt 7:24

The parish office workers write your name in the Book of Life after you receive each sacrament for the first time.

-Tim-

HELP
Je n’arrive pas à entrer ce texte dans la rubrique réponse sur JOSEPH LE CARON… pouvez-vous le faire à ma place… c’est très compliqué… jacques Germand

oce.catholic.com/index.php?title=Joseph_Le_Caron#content

Puisque j’en ai l’opportunité… j’en profite. J’ai mis en évidence dans mon village de Trie-Château le souvenir de Joseph Le Caron… qui avait été complètement oublié.
Nous avions organisé une exposition au couvent des Récollets de Sainte Marguerite de Trie-Château (actuellement domaine privé) et j’avais eu en main à l’époque ( années 1980) une page du Nécrologue qui entre autre signalait sa mort de la peste en 1632… comme un saint. J’aimerais bien en avoir une copie …… Si un de vos lecteurs pouvait répondre… Bien entendu je suis tout disposé à correspondre … Voir site « mairie de Trie Château ». Par ailleurs dans l’église de Trie un tableau est en cours d’expertise et serait un magnifique tableau de Frère LUC ???
Cordialement Jacques Germand … jag-trie@orange.fr

If one were to check out all references to the Book of Life in Sacred Scripture, one finds no reference to the actual writing of the name. One finds references to finding the name, and references to the blotting out of a name that had already been written.

To interpret that from the point of view of the space-time continuum in which we live, it would appear that one’s name is written in the Book of Life from his/her conception, and then at his/her death it could be blotted out, depending on the status of the soul.

To interpret from God’s eternal point of view (seeing the whole space-time continuum at a glance), God already knows the status of every human person at the point of his/her death, based on the decisions that each particular person has made during the course of his/her life, and therefore the Book of Life in Heaven is already closed.

(Someone is going to say that I am taking a strict Calvinist view of Double Predestination. I would have that person re-read the previous paragraph and pay attention to the bolded section.)

Fr. Hardon’s dictionary is usually a good reference point:

“BOOK OF LIFE. Figurative expression in the Bible (Revelation 21) for predestination. It signifies God’s foreknowledge of the elect. God in virtue of his omniscience must infallibly and eternally know the elect and the lost, but this does not imply that the fate of either is sealed by God without a prevision of each person’s merit. The Book of Life refers to those who will enjoy eternal happiness.”

The original poster noted the Rev. 20 verse, but it’s also in Rev. 21:27 -

“There shall not enter into [the New Jerusalem] any thing defiled, or that works abomination or makes a lie; but [only] they that are written in the Book of Life of the Lamb.”

Rev. 13:8 says that those who worship the Beast are all the inhabitants of the world “whose names were not written from the foundation of the world in the Book of Life, which belongs to the Lamb who was slain.”

God is outside time and space, so to create us is also to see our entire lives happening and to know our choices. We are inside space and time, so we have free will.

You’ll notice in Revelation 13:18 the names are written in the Book of Life “before the foundation of the World”. This is because God has created some vessels for honourable use, and others for dishonourable use. If you read Romans 9 this will make more sense.

Thanks for all the posts.

I believe the book of Revelation states that there are two books. The first is the book that has all the deeds of a person written in it. The second is the book that has all the names of those who are destined for heaven. The second is based on the first.

:thumbsup: Rev. 20:12-15

The ordinary means is Baptism.

I think it is by following the Lamb and bearing all of one’s sufferings in this life patiently, lovingly and for God, leading a good Christian life. We either get to heaven by a bloody martyrdom or by a white martyrdom of bearing our crosses faithfully and patiently to please God. Everyone in heaven holds the palm branch of martyrdom in their hand, some died as red martyrs while others died as white martyrs. One thing that is for sure is that we all must suffer patiently for God if we wish to be written in the Book of Life. God bless you.

Chong. You asked:

How does one’s name get in the book of life?

As has been stated here, this phrase (those in the Book of Life) refers to “The Elect”.

People in the Book of Life = The Elect

How do I get to be among “The Elect”? And how do I know I am among the elect?

Baptism and perseverance in the faith. (That would be the Catholic Faith for those who know better.)

St. Peter (below) is talking about people who are Baptized (those who have been “cleansed from his old sins”) and thus recipients of a supernatural faith.

(We receive this supernatural faith [and other gifts] when we are Baptized.)

St. Peter words it this way . . . “To those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours in the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ”.

But then we need to persevere in the faith that we have been given.

St. Peter tells them they can have a moral certainty of their elect status (not an absolute certainty but a moral certainty).

Here is what he tells them . . . . .

2nd PETER 1:1, 5-11 1 Simeon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours in the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ: . . . . 5 For this very reason make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, 6 and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, 7 and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For whoever lacks these things is blind and shortsighted and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins. 10 Therefore, brethren, be the more zealous to confirm your call and election, for if you do this you will never fall; 11 so there will be richly provided for you an entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

2nd PETER 1:10 (DRV) Wherefore, brethren, labour the more, that by good works you may make sure your calling and election. For doing these things, you shall not sin at any time.

We are Baptized, then we persevere in the Faith.

Hope this helps.

God bless.

Cathoholic

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.