I would like to know how exactly prayer gives grace. I understand that humans are composite beings of matter and spirit. In this sense I can understand the sacraments because they are both matter and spirit also.
- But I cannot understand prayer. Prayer is pure spirit. How exactly does one lift one’s heart to God when we are stuck in a physical body?
- Is it possible to go through life with only prayer and having no need of the sacraments?
- There are two situations here:
Grace from God going from sacrament to person;
Grace from God going directly to person in prayer.
Is one more important than the other?
- I also think with prayer there is a danger of thinking of God in a pantheistic sense i.e. God is ‘everywhere’ I don’t need to go to Church.
- How are prayer and the sacraments interrelated? How are they different?
So what is going on here? It has implications for Protestants who have only one valid sacrament.