How does someone train to be an apologist?

The idea of being an apologist is exciting but also intimidating. I have read the background information on a number of well-known apologists and they are so well educated that I don’t know if there is a place for me within the world of apologetics.

I am a layman with no special religous training. I simply love to read books on apologetics and to speak in public. Is a formal education a must to be an apologist?

[quote=Sugar Ray]I am a layman with no special religous training. I simply love to read books on apologetics and to speak in public. Is a formal education a must to be an apologist?
[/quote]

Not at all. For example, my own formal education ended with my graduation from high school – and that was a public school. As an adult convert to the Catholic faith, all of my Catholic education has taken place in the last ten years. It is perfectly possible to gain the knowledge, skills, and experience necessary to be a Catholic apologist from independent study and self-directed experience. I recommend the links below for further information.

**Recommended reading: **

How do I become an apologist?
How does an apologist learn how to talk with people about religion?
Skill Is Gained By Experience by Jimmy Akin

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.