How does the Catholic Church view Orthodox "saints"

? Do they recognize that person as a saint in heaven?

Does the recognition or non-recognition have any bearing on presence of a Saint in Heaven??

Or do you want to ask if Catolic church has special feast saint day for Ortodox saints?

Later question I do not know. First question - answer is obviousy no - presence in heaven is not dependent on recognition by Catlic church. God omnipotent decides, not Vatikan.

Do Orthodox Churches not canonize saints, as in the case of St. Nicholas the Passion Bearer (Tsar Nicholas II) by the Russian Orthodox Church?

While canonizations obviously have no bearing on whether the person is in heaven, they do allow for the veneration of the Saint and confident prayers for his or her intecession. Your harsh tone towards canonization seems odd, considering your own churches do the same.

To answer the OP’s question, the Church does not recognize Eastern Orthodox saints canonized after the schism as true saints. They may not be venerated or prayed to with any confidence, but their salvation may be hoped for.

1 Like

To answer the OP’s question, the Church does not recognize Eastern Orthodox saints canonized after the schism as true saints. They may not be venerated or prayed to with any confidence, but their salvation may be hoped for.

In one of his writings, Pope John Paul II referred to the hieromonk known in the world as Prokhor Moshnin by his Orthodox label of St. Seraphim of Sarov–complete with the prefix “St.”

Your Vatican says otherwise, putting St. Gregory Palamas on the “Byzantine” calendar.

I can’t remember but there are those who submit to the Vatican who redicated the second Sunday of Great Lent, dedicated to St. Gregory, to some other theme.

I am sure Dauphin will use the “it’s not ex cathedra” slight of hand.

St.Sarov is obviously a saintly man, and if i’m not mistaken he was saved by a miracle of an image of Our Lady which is a statue type like what the latins have.

It depends, as we catholics believe that the Orthodox Church has true sacraments, saintly orthodox people can easily be accepted by not formally recognize. Formal recognition will need to undergo canonization

Pope John Paul II kissed the Koran and invited pagans to pray to their gods for peace. He wasn’t known to avoid causing scandal.

1 Like

The Church is going through a gravely confused period in its history. There are many things people in authority have done which are inexcusable expressions of religious indifferentism.

Something can hardly be sleight of hand if it’s true. But thank you for your input and information.

St. Gregory Palamas has always been critical to Byzantine theology; he is not merely an addition in a “confused period of history”.

Peace and God bless!

Sarov is city near Nizhni Novgorod where St. Serafim lived. Sarov was not name for city for many years was called Arzamas-16. Here was done much very secret atomic research in Soviet times. City now has symbol with atom drawing. Still remains center of Science. Many scientists now there are attending to reopened monastery:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f4/Coat_of_Arms_of_Sarov_(Nizhny_Novgorod_oblast).pnghttp://people.bu.edu/gorelik/AIP_Sakharov_Photo_Chrono/11_1Sarov.jpeg

I am Catholic, but am impressed and humbled by the saintly example of the Grand Duchess Elizabeth, and many of the other Russian martyrs who died witnessing to their faith in Christ.

I have no problem at all venerating them, and asking them to intercede for all of us who live in an increasingly anti-Christian culture.

1 Like

I forgot to mention that certain saints, such as Theodosius of the Kievan Caves and Theodosius of Chernigov, while post-schism, have always been in the calendars of the Ruthenian and Ukrainian churches, even before Vatican 2.

Just out of curiosity … supposing you yourself had committed some sort of indiscretion like the above. Would you be happy to know that, long after your death, people who knew about your sins would continue to bring them up in public – so that you would always be remembered by your worst failures, rather than any good you may have accomplished?

If not, why would you treat John Paul, who is no longer here to speak for himself, that way?

My view was not of canonization but of recognition by Catolics of canonized Orthodox saint. What significance does this make? Only if Catolic church wants to make have feast day. But for average Catolic as we have seen many believe canonization of ORthodox church, just as many Orthodox pray to St. Francis of Assizi.

1 Like

St. Seraphim is a Saint celebrated in the Byzantine Catholic Churches. I personally have his icon in my room. He was a man of intense holiness.

1 Like

Considering that many of them, including St. Gregory Palamas, are in the Melchite, Ukranian, and Ruthenian calendars you can see that the Catholic Church looks at Eastern Orthodox saints as true saints. Otherwise you would have to say that the Byzantines are less Catholic than the western Catholics. And anyone who says that is simply a heretic.

False, check the names of some of the saints in the eastern Catholic calendars.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.