How does the Church view non-sexual romantic feelings toward same-sex?

I just finished reading the piece on this website regarding the Church’s teachings on homosexuality. I understand the theology and I believe that the arguments are made logically and have theological basis. There is something that I would like clarified however. In paragraph that answered the argument about homosexuals being born homosexual, it made the counter-argument that homosexual urges being involuntary did not condone acting upon them and it drew a comparison to alcoholism. I can understand that argument as it pertains to physical urges. What I think the argument did not answer is a homosexual’s romantic feelings toward someone of the same sex. Understanding that romanticism is an intagible concept, how does the Church account for someone having non-sexual, but romantic feelings toward a person of the same sex? I am engaged and throughout the day will see my fiance and find myself completely smitten with her and craving her affection. Plenty of times that I experience that sensation there is no sexual connotation associated with that. It is like what people describe as “butterflies in their stomach”. So what happens when a man feels the same romanticism toward another man? Are the uncontrolable non-sexual feelings of romanticism toward a member of the same sex categorized similarly to physical attraction. My initial feeling is that they are not. Romantic feelings I think are more driven out of admiration for the other person. So I have a hard time understanding how that is the precursor to the abomination that homosexual sex is considered to be. Hopefully I articulated my thoughts well enough.

Dear friend,

Assuming that you admire him, why do you not have romantic feelings about your father? Whether you are aware of it or not, your romantic feelings are about a person that you can have sexual feelings about. If you are heterosexually inclined, you would not have such feelings for members of your own sex. There is a definite connection between romance and sexuality, even when one isn’t conscious of it.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.