How does the Levitical prohibition affect our belief in the True Presence?

Can I get some help refuting this?

Leviticus 17:10-14

10’(E)And any man from the house of Israel, or from the aliens who sojourn among them, who eats any blood, (F)I will set My face against that person who eats blood and will cut him off from among his people.

11’For (G)the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you on the altar to make atonement for your souls; for (H)it is the blood by reason of the life that makes atonement.’

12"Therefore I said to the sons of Israel, ‘No person among you may eat blood, nor may any alien who sojourns among you eat blood.’

13"So when any man from the sons of Israel, or from the aliens who sojourn among them, in hunting catches a beast or a bird which may be eaten, (I)he shall pour out its blood and cover it with earth.

14"(J)For as for the life of all flesh, its blood is identified with its life. Therefore I said to the sons of Israel, ‘You are not to eat the blood of any flesh, for the life of all flesh is its blood; whoever eats it shall be cut off.’

If I am not mistaken this is only defined for Hebrew Dietary restrictions, such eating of the cloven hoof that does not chew the cud, ie swine, etc… In other words the blood from the animal is not to be consumed but is to be disposed of in the earth. This I believe was on due to health reasons because of unsanitary surroundings. If you note in the new testament those restrictions were lifted for Peter when he amongst the gentiles.

Here is one way to look at it. It states:

11’For (G)the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you on the altar to make atonement for your souls; for (H)it is the blood by reason of the life that makes atonement.’

I think I can safely assume that we would agree all life comes from God. So as this verse says life is contained in the blood. Now the blood that this particular verse is from sacrafical animals, which is worldly. Jesus has died and risen, therefore His Body and Blood cannot be seperated because he is alive. So the Real Presence has both His Body and Blood, which gives us eternal life:

John 6:
[51] I am the living bread which came down from heaven; if any one eats of this bread, he will live for ever; and the bread which I shall give for the life of the world is my flesh."

Actually Peter seperated himself from the gentiles at Antioch, causing the Council of Jerusalem to reaffirm the prohibition. Btw. the probihition was seen as for gentiles too, dating from Noah.

Since the One who commanded the prohibition in the first place also said “Take, drink…” there is no problem. Since blood is a type of the Blood, the symbol has met its substance.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.