How Does This Interview Affect You As A Roman Catholic?

To reply will take over 10 minutes of your time counting watching the video. After watching it, please comment on how, if in any way, it changes your view or thoughts on receiving Holy Communion. The Bishop is in full communion with Rome.

Thanks in advance to those who take the time.

tl.gloria.tv/?media=2710

You’d probably get more replies if you distilled what the idea is that you would like us to comment on, and maybe even give us an idea of why you are asking.

I’m rather fond of Bishop Schnider and his book Dominus Est
How does the interview affect me?

I am so glad we have wonderful Bishops like Bishop Schnider Deo Gratais!!
And I agree that

[quote=Bishop Schnider]We should be concerned and work that our lord may be adored more and loved more and venerated more in this holy moment of holy communion.
[/quote]

What more need be said!!

But I am sad that such a book is necessary in the first place

Oh boy, an essay exam!

Answer: a warm fuzzy feeling… trustworthy, for once.

A number of years ago, in an article titled “Frank Talk in The Age of Benedict”, the Catholic World Report had some favourable things to say about this bishop, and id have to agree. Its great to come across a bishop who`s willing to stand up and speak good stuff.

After reading in the mid-1990s that Mother Teresa (then still alive) was more worried about Communion in the hand than about anything else, my own feeling of guilt about receiving CITH started to grow until it forced a change to COTT…but it was a hell of a battle, not made any easier by an attempt by a priest to intimidate me to revert to CITH. When you suffer from intense anxiety, that sort of standover stunt causes terrible fear at Communion time, regardless of who the OF priest is. It takes away from the anticipation of receiving our Lord.
That was finally sorted out by switching to the TLM almost exclusively in late 2008. No choice about which way. Receiving Him in the context of a Solemn High Mass (FSSP) is sublime (understatement!), so all of the obstacles led to something far more reverent, dignified and beautiful than expected.

In primary school, though, i was terrified at Communion time, and gave the Sacraments the flick as soon as i got away from the nuns at the end of 1966, still very much TLM days. Stayed away from them for more than 20 years, and came back via CITH in 1990
Its strange......the 20+ years away led to something good, and eventually, an appreciation of the good aspects of the TLM, something which wouldnt have happened if we had never been deprived of it. We don`t appreciate what we have until we lose it. So, for muggins here, and who knows how many countless others, all of the upheavals and abuses “since Vatican II” have benefitted us in an unexpected way.

My own conviction is that Pope John WAS inspired when he called Vatican II (which is unfairly blamed for the later abuses), and that Pope Benedict has begun to give us the TRUE fruits of V II.

God may be separating the geep from the shoats (stated on other threads, as well).

By altering a few words, the same interview could apply to altar girls. Better get ready for the flack.

Sorry…i got carried away!

Aren`t the Transalpine Redemptorists sedevacantists? Or maybe were?

Thank you for taking time to offer a moving an honest reply. I can only imagune how you felt being pressured to forfeit your right to receive as you wish. Don’t apologize for your thoughts though :thumbsup:

I too left the Church for many years, right about the time the OF was fully in place. Still too young to understand what was happening. When I returned a few years ago, it was only after lurking on CA I decided to come home. After being warmly accepted by the pastor of an OF parish, daily Mass became the norm for me. I was asked to do penance for awhile before receiving Communion, but soon I was given the nod, and by then, I had read enough to decide COTT was the way I should receive. I eventually found that we have a EF Mass at a diocesan parish, and have never looked back

The Transalpine Redemptorists were never sede. They were “schismatic” in that they continued to pray the EF, and rejected the OF. They were affiliated with the SSPX for some time, but are now being regularized. Recently, a few of them, 5 I think it was, were sent to the FSSP for their eventual ordination onto the priesthood. The publish Catholic, an excellent publication.

I assume you watched the video linked to in my sig. I often wonder if that man ever converted to Catholicism. He was obviously very moved by his brief visit to the Monastery.

God Bless

I simply believe it is an excellent and informative talk, sermon even, on the Sacrament itself. And the Bishop shatters the often seen argument here that the early Church allowed CITH, so we should be able to receive in that manner today.

It would get more replies in Liturgy and Sacraments, but was moved here, where members such as NewEnglandPries can make their snide remarks. Not saying that is the reason it was moved, but certainly the interview will watched here by only those who have their views already set in concrete.

Why a topic that specifically concerns a Sacrament was moved out of Liturgy and Sacraments is beyond me, considering the topics of some threads there now. :shrug:

Indeed it is sad. But very refreshing to hear a Bishop in full communion with the Church set the record straight :thumbsup:

I found this video very refreshing that there are still bishops that would speak so publicly about how reverently we should be approaching Our Lord in the Eucharist. I was born after Vatican II but was still brought up to receive Communion on the tongue while kneeling. This has not been easy as many priests in my area have not been too receptive to people kneeling for Communion.

It is my hope that there are many more bishops like this who will speak up and be listened to and the abuses to Our Lord in the Eucharist will cease.

Robert: I too have seen Priests who are not too happy about COTT but I really dont care. I kneel and I recieve on the Tongue every time. I dont care if the Parishioners or the Priest doesnt like it. I dont go up there to please them - I go up there to Recieve the King of Kings and LORD of Lords in the Blessed Sacrament. The Job of the Priest is to confect the Sacrament not pass his own opinions on to me.

Pax

Interestingly, if that was the source of your concern, your concern was based on a fabrication (I would say a lie, but I will let the issue rest with the term “fabrication”). The priest who publicly stated that Mother Theresa had made a comment about CITH later publicly retracted his statement, saying that Mother Theresa never made such a statement. Thus are urban legends born.

Reverence is as reverence does. The issue with the lack of respect for the Eucharist is laid at the feet of CITH, but this is simply a post hoc, ergo propter hoc argument. And my parish is a prime example of why I say this - the vast majority of people receive CITH, and we have had 24/7/363 Perpetual Adoration for 15+ years now. This is not a parish that is lacksidasical about Reception of the Eucharist. Whether by CITH or COTT, reverent reception has far more to do with proper catechesis than it does with the specific form of reception, contrary to all of the emotional gushing that goes on about the issue. Anyone who thinks that prior to the introduction of CITH, everyone receiving (by COTT, the only form known then) did so with reverence is a prime candidate for a bridge I would like to sell.

That is not to say that I promote one over the other; I ahve no problem with anyone who chooses one form or the other. My concern is over reverence, and reverence is not dictated by form, but is formed by catechesis.

As always, an excellent, thoughtful post.

I receive on the tongue, but I do it so as to see the other side. I was challenged on this several years ago and decided it would be good to try. I’ve never noticed a change in my “feelings” as regards the Blessed Sacrament and I KNOW that I sin far more with my tongue than with my hands. Nonetheless, I will continue to do receive on the tongue as a denial of self and as one way to be united with my brethren that insist this is the ONLY way Holy Communion should be received (something with which I must, perforce, disagree, as the Church permits both).

Also, Blessed Teresa of Calcutta’s community also denied that she ever remarked on Communion in the hand.

Thank you for your thoughts on the Bishop’s explanation on the matter after taking time to watch it . :slight_smile:

God Bless

Dominus est ! It is the Lord !

At a local parish, a fellow who frequents weekday OF Mass began kneeling ( on one knee) to receive. We have several priests (Dominican Priory), and I’ve watched them all give him Communion. I noticed nothing by their body language or facial expressions that would indicate they have a problem with it. At least 3 other Communicants have started doing so as well. Since the friars are standing next to the rail anyway, I’m thinking of asking if we may receive kneeling at the rail. It would allow much greater ease of standing back up after receiving, as the rail can be used to steady oneself. Until then, I just genuflect at the front pew, as many there do, and receive on the tongue standing.

Well, it did the trick, anyway. And there were other prompts.

Reverence is as reverence does. The issue with the lack of respect for the Eucharist is laid at the feet of CITH, but this is simply a post hoc, ergo propter hoc argument. And my parish is a prime example of why I say this - the vast majority of people receive CITH, and we have had 24/7/363 Perpetual Adoration for 15+ years now. This is not a parish that is lacksidasical about Reception of the Eucharist. Whether by CITH or COTT, reverent reception has far more to do with proper catechesis than it does with the specific form of reception, contrary to all of the emotional gushing that goes on about the issue. *** Anyone who thinks that prior to the introduction of CITH, everyone receiving (by COTT, the only form known then) did so with reverence is a prime candidate for a bridge I would like to sell***.

I know that only too well…but see below…
Having been born in 1954, i remember the “pre-Vatican II Church”, and the faith of some folks: eg my sister whos 13 years older, was a cold, sullen one, like the prodigal sons elder brother. Seeing my sister in action, i used to think: “If that`s what religion is about, you can keep it.”. .Incidentally, she took the trendy route (along with assorted heresies), and has remained in it, along with a lot of like minded pre-Vatican II-educated Catholics(!), i suspect.

That is not to say that I promote one over the other; I ahve no problem with anyone who chooses one form or the other. My concern is over reverence, and reverence is not dictated by form, but is formed by catechesis.

“Lex orandi lex credendi”: and the “orandi” includes body language. While we shouldn`t judge individuals, the sad truth is that the GENERAL consequence of caving in on CITH has been a loss of reverence for the Blessed Sacrament, and loss of belief in the Real Presence. COTT helps to reinforce reverence and belief, REGARDLESS of catechesis.

At Trent:
Thanks for your words of support, and thanks also for clearing up my misunderstanding about the Transalpine Redemptorists. More power to them!
Yep, i was wondering about him, as well.

lol, please thank them for their fruits in helping with the priest shortage :thumbsup:

They have a wonderful blog and now even a youtube channel !
papastronsay.blogspot.com/

youtube.com/user/filiiSSR

I never knew they had a you tube channel thanks for the info

The sooner those Redemptorists are allowed to do mission work the better!

I should have mentioned The Alphonsianum

alphonsianum.blogspot.com/

Great Faith building site and texts :slight_smile:

I have read what many Saints have written about the Blessed Sacrament. That is the reason I approach that Sacrament the way I do and for no other reason. I believe we are to give good example to our neighbor. Since the Saints have given good example to me by their words already and since the goodness of GOD has directed my attention to some of these books I also know that it is not a scandal to Kneel and recieve on the tongue. It is insterad an act of reverence for the LORD. And in protocol in centuries past - it was customary to kneel before the King or Queen in a monarchy - just as we kiss the ring of a Bishop… And since my Lord is the King of Kings - My kneeling is in reverence to him and him alone. It doesnt have anything to do with the Priest and my fellow Parishioners.

And I too have noticed that where the practise gets started - usually more and more people start doing it.

Pax

It is easy to make a statement that COTT helps to reinforce reverence and belief regardless of catechesis; But that is simply specious. It is catechesis that forms the belief; lacking proper catechesis is how we get those who lack belief. Given the numbers of people whom I have met who believe firmly in the Real Presence and practice CITH, your comment simply does not hold.

It is your premise that CITH has caused a loss of reverence and a loss of belief in the Real Presence, but that is the same old post hoc ergo propter hoc argument that keeps being dragged out by those who don’t like CITH, and ignores any and all events since the end of Vatican 2 that have had an impact on belief, or lack of it. It is far easier to condemn something you don’t like as the source of a problem than it is to actually do some research on what has occurred in the last 40 years. It also ignores the large numbers of people who do believe in the Real Presence and receive CITH; they are just to be ignored, as if all CITH recipients no longer believed.

Fail to properly catechize (and the change form the Baltimore Catechism was the source of that strating) and it doesn’t matter where you take that individual or how they receive; the base is simply not there.

The Roman rite has had individuals receiving in the hand for the last 800 years - it was practiced by the Franciscans. They didn’t fall apart in that 800 year period, and if the order is having problems now, it is not due to CITH.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.