How Does Your Priest Typically Preceed Mass?....POLL

I give all the credit to Festus… :wink:

How Does Your Priest Typically Preceed Mass?..

…ok, maybe it’s just me (usually is), but i am missing the point… preceed Mass? you mean, like “good morning”?

sorry, but i am missing the point… my apologies…

The priest at the church that I attend begins Mass with the Sign of the Cross. None of this “Good Morning” garbage.

Joe

We have three Priests at our Church. Two of them are the “Good Morning” Types. One starts as per GIRM…sign of the Cross.

I dont like the “Good Morning” stuff. If I wanted a Good Morning I would go to WalMarts. Lets be Catholic, DUH.

[quote=chuffle] None of this “Good Morning” garbage.

Joe
[/quote]

Wow, those are strong words, my friend! I didn’t know this was an emotion laden subject! :eek: Why such harsh words for friendly priests???

The Priests at my parish always start with the sign of the Cross.

White Dove has a Blue Ribbon Winner again.

This Poll was artfully designed, it was derived from a superior alacrity in the employment of language and the underlying understanding of human nature is evident.

Well done my friend. Hey, what’s Festus got to do with this wonderful Poll?

[quote=Exporter]White Dove has a Blue Ribbon Winner again.

This Poll was artfully designed, it was derived from a superior alacrity in the employment of language and the underlying understanding of human nature is evident.

Well done my friend. Hey, what’s Festus got to do with this wonderful Poll?
[/quote]

Er, Festus is a colorful sidekick to the Sheriff on the old TV show, ‘Gunsmoke’, Exporter. He speaks in the quaint dialect of the wild western lingo, such as is spoken in Texas and other such semi-literate type outposts of semi-civilization… :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

He was most likely a poor speller at best… :cool: Readin’ and Writtin’ weren’t his forte… :rolleyes:

If the Deacon is not present, my priest incenses the Altar, the icons and the people. He then opens the Royal Doors and greets everyone with SLAVA ISUSU CHRISTU (GLORY TO JESUS CHRIST) or the appropiate greeting for the season. He then turns to the Altar and raises the Book of the Gospels and intones the Divine Liturgy with BLESSED IS THE KINGDOM OF THE FATHER AND THE SON AND THE HOLY SPIRIT NOW AND EVER AND FOREVER…

and we go from there…

By processing in and then making the sign of the cross once he arrives at the front?

The musician, OTOH, spends lots of our silent prayer time trying to get us to reherse new songs.

We have a new procedure. Our priest goes to the front before mass, greets the congregation, makes parish announcements, then asks everyone to stand and greet their neighbor. At that point the musician announces the opening hymn, Fr walks to the back, and processes in with the opening hymn, then opens mass with the sign of the cross. Think I’d prefer the incense Patchunky gets. I’m not wild about the new procedure, but can’t put my finger on why, technically its before the mass. I guess I just feel its disruptive to my preparation time, and redundant to the sign of peace during mass.

I dont like the “Good Morning” stuff. If I wanted a Good Morning I would go to WalMarts. Lets be Catholic, DUH.

Oh my! You mean you wouldn’t say “Good Morning” to Jesus?
And if you are going to Wal-Mart, can you pick me up some cream for my coffee?

~ Kathy ~

Our three priests, in our parish, before the blessing, make a few remarks on the significance of the day’s readings, and then go on from there.

[quote=WhiteDove]Wow, those are strong words, my friend! I didn’t know this was an emotion laden subject! :eek: Why such harsh words for friendly priests???
[/quote]

Because they are taking undue liberties with their most sacred trust to celebrate the Holy Eucharist:

“The Mystery of the Eucharist “is too great for anyone to permit himself to treat it according to his own whim, so that its sacredness and its universal ordering would be obscured. On the contrary, anyone who acts thus by giving free reign to his own inclinations, even if he is a Priest, injures the substantial unity of the Roman Rite, which ought to be vigorously preserved . . . [A]rbitrary actions . . . are detrimental to the right of Christ’s faithful to a liturgical celebration that is an expression of the Church’s life in accordance with her tradition and discipline.” (Redemptionis Sacramentum 11).

[quote=radhika]I dont like the “Good Morning” stuff. If I wanted a Good Morning I would go to WalMarts. Lets be Catholic, DUH.
[/quote]

They never tell me “Good Morning” at WalMart!!! :crying: :nope:

That’s why I must go to Mass to hear it :wink: Usually 3 of our priests say “Good Morning” (or evening) – “Good Morning, Father/Msgr.” – and then he blesses us and gets right into it. It’s very quick but adds some friendliness. Recently we had another priest come in (I’m not sure why this happens) to do a Mass and he just got right into it. Then we had another, who told some weird jokes beforehand about “Little Johnny.” :rolleyes:

Any announcements are at the end.

[quote=Sorbetto]They never tell me “Good Morning” at WalMart!!! :crying: :nope:

[/quote]

You’re getting ripped off! We have a lady at our WalMart that says “Welcome to Walmart” like we’re going into Harrod’s or other fancy store. It’s great!

I think I misunderstood the question. I thought it meant before the first hymn. Our priest stands in the entryway and greets people as they come in the front door. He’ll say “good morning” before announcing the first hymn, but usually there’s a choir to do that. When he gets to the altar, the only time he doesn’t just go right into the Sign of the Cross is when he announces the death of a parishoner.

“In the name of the Father, and the Son…”

Keep in mind that while opening the Mass with “In the name of the Father, Son…” is most certainly a requirement, the GIRM DOES allow for an annoucement before the penetential rite begins.

I think it’s VERY appropriate for a celebrant to insert a sober yet warm welcome to all at that point, and the Church sees no problem with that. Our priests typically say something like:

“Good morning everyone, particularly to those who may be visiting our parish this beautiful morning. This is the sixth week of Easter. As we prepare…” (We get a lot of tourists.) This greeting is done in a very classy and appropriate manner.

My vote was he says “Good Morning”, but he always “In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” first. Then begins with the greeting - good morning.

Don’t want to get him in trouble. :bigyikes:

Mass starts off totally ‘by the book’

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.