How Donald Trump Ditched U.S. Steel Workers in Favor of China

How Donald Trump Ditched U.S. Steel Workers in Favor of China

NEWSWEEK By Kurt Eichenwald On 10/3/16

Plenty of blue-collar workers believe that, as president, Donald Trump would be ready to fight off U.S. trade adversaries and reinvigorate the country’s manufacturing industries through his commitment to the Rust Belt. What they likely don’t know is that Trump has been stiffing American steel workers on his own construction projects for years, choosing to deprive untold millions of dollars from four key electoral swing states and instead directing it to China—the country whose trade practices have helped decimate the once-powerful industrial center of the United States.

A Newsweek investigation has found that in at least two of Trump’s last three construction projects, Trump opted to purchase his steel and aluminum from Chinese manufacturers rather than United States corporations based in states like Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan and Wisconsin. In other instances, he abandoned steel altogether, instead choosing the far-less-expensive option of buying concrete from various companies, including some linked to the Luchese and Genovese crime families. Trump has never been accused of engaging in any wrongdoing for his business dealings with those companies, but it’s true that the Mafia has long controlled much of the concrete industry in New York…

So Trump bought the least expensive building materials available when his own finances were on the line. Hillary Clinton was on the board of directors of Walmart, which buys almost everything from China.

All that really shows is that our trade deals are unfavorable to this country.

And the unions leaders in America, who support the Democrats, have also long had Mafia connections.

The “once-powerful industrial center of the United States” has been gone for a long time. .

If I’m a stock holder, management darn well better buy the less expensive alternative. That’s not stiffing workers. Unfair trade is what’s stiffing American workers. Obama’s draconian regulatory practices are stiffing the workers.

Jon

This country can’t compete with huddled masses of poorer workers elsewhere. Really, the world has yet to adjust to the Industrial Revolution.

ICXC NIKA

I don’t think Trump has stock holders. He only has to ask himself, “Should I support American workers and make 1.8 million dollars in profit or buy from China and make 3 million?” or “Should I outsource my manufacturing to Mexico and make 5 million or keep it here in the USA and only make 3.5 million?”. Hmmmm, decisions decisions.

Obviously not a tough call for him.

He also went to a lot of trouble arranging the purchases thru many companies to make it harder to figure out. It seems he felt embarrassed by his actions and he should. If a multi billionaire can’t sacrifice a little profit for the betterment of American workers then he really is just a sad greedy money worshiper.

If people haven’t seen through him by now – a seeker after raw power in a land where that can’t yet be bought – they never will. God help America!

ICXC NIKA

And this is unique to Trump in this election? Not only is Sec Clinton seeking power, but also openly advocates for the expansion of even greater evils.

All of them? Every single one?

That’s a bit of a broad brush, don’t you think?

I am so glad this election is over!

Did Ridge use the word “all”? :rolleyes:

It’s called rhetoric folk. Don’t be so literal.

At least she played the political game, she didn’t buy her way around it.

Trumpists love the fact that he is an “outsider”. Would they want someone fixing their brakes who had never seen a car, or treating their sicknesses who had never studied the human body?

The fact that the primary debates devolved into arguments about height and hands shows what we are facing.

He will make us all his unpaid peons.

ICXC NIKA

Ironic when nearly all our stuff has ‘Made in China’ on it. Are you saying if it were you, I wouldn’t find anything with a ‘Made in China’ sticker on it that you own? Why didn’t you pay a little extra and go looking for a ‘Made in the USA’ version? (Infact, it’s come to the point where there isn’t even the option, there is ‘Made in China’ or ‘Made in China’ or ‘Made in China’ and it’s a choice between those three, can’t imagine being able to find any parts for my PC that’s made in Australia or the US).

While ever people are sourcing Chinese goods etc for cheaper, than it’s not going to change, if it were me, I would put taxes on imported goods to level the playing field, not accuse people for picking the cheaper option.

It’s the same with the Tax Returns, if there are deductions to be claimed, than obviously people are going to claim them, even if they are bad deductions or are unfair, the Tax System needs to be fixed, and while ever they complicate it with thousands of different deductions and things, people will always find loopholes, it needs to be simplified, only then I believe will everyone more likely pay their fair share of tax.

I hope this has helped

God Bless You

Thank you for reading
Josh

What’s the difference between patronage and payments? I don’t see any difference.

And Sec Clinton, if president, would have all of us peons pay for her pet policies, like abortion. I’m not seeing how Sec Clinton is a better option.

?

Anyone post a reply on here with a Computer or IPhone or other device that wasn’t made in China?

I think that Neofight is correct that this election is virtually over. I don’t think Trump can possibly win this election at this point.

Is it the trade deals that allow the Chinese (or any other country, for that matter) buy our Treasuries and finance our debt in exchange for exporting our jobs?

What does he intend to do? Reduce taxes and issue still more debt? Or renegotiate our current debt, downgrade our debt rating, and drive up future interest rates?

Whether or not he has stock hders or not is irrelevant. The fact remains that the business decision is obvious. He may be embarrassed. He may not like the choice, but the trade practices puts any business person in the same position. And it is reasonable that the position he is forced into is the reason for his stance on trade

I think China has mastered the industrial revolution

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.