How exactly do I get a Latin Mass at my parish?

Well, to be honest I’m getting fed up with a lot of things going at the Masses at my parish. For example, today we sung “Amazing Grace (My chains are gone)”. Totally not Catholic. Later in the Mass, right before the priest administered the Eucharist to the EMHCs he dropped 2 pieces on the floor, picked them up, and ate them. After Mass I read the bulletin that Life Teen will be coming to my parish. Oy vey! :frowning:

What are the steps for me to get a Latin Mass said at my parish? What do I have to do?

Now just an FYI- there are some parishes that say a Latin Mass, but the only one I know of is in the city, about 20 miles away. I can’t go on a regular basis (I can’t even drive in the city! I’m young, by the way).

What can I do to attain a Latin Mass?

Thank you,
Coolduude

Talk to your Pastor

Find Priests that can say the TLM in the diocese;

Find a choir or cantor to chant the Propers;

Find altar servers willing to learn and serve the TLM;

Make sure you have altar cards, chalice veils, candles, torches, incense, thurible, altar cross, roman missal 1962, missals for the people, communion patens and any other items essential for the celebration of the Traditional Mass

And don’t forget to find a significant number of people who would attend the Mass on a regular basis.

What is it you would have preferred him to do when he dropped the host?

Well you can either convince your priest to say one or ask for a new parish priest who will from the Bishop.

Do like they used to and clean it up. Scrub the place where it fell and really rinse it. Don’t just pick it back up and eat it, then step over the spot like nothing happened.

And use the paten from now on.

First, there must exist a “stable group of the faithful” who wish to have a EF Mass. And there’s a lot of preparation and hard work involved in getting it off the ground.

This article gives a glimpse of how it happened at one parish:
baylor.edu/lariat/news.php?action=story&story=50666

Don’t take this the wrong way . . . but if you aren’t old enough to drive 20 miles into the city, getting a Latin Mass started (at least, all by yourself) may be more than you can handle. Perhaps you could take a train into the city? Or find someone older who is also interested and would be willing to do the driving?

be ordained with the FSSP

That’s not a requirement, though. Under Summorum Pontificum, a priest could offer the Latin Mass just for one person, or even just because he feels like it.

To the OP, whenever you can get into the city to St. John Cantius, there are, sad to say, plenty of empty pews at the TLMs just waiting for you to fill them.

Your situation reminds me a lot of my own (I know exactly what version of "Amazing Grace you’re referring to), except that there is a TLM parish within manageable walking distance of my house (I can’t drive, either).

If you want to convince your pastor to start a TLM at your own parish, you will need what others have mentioned: a group of interested (if not committed) people in your parish. If you can find a group of people who want it, you or the member of the group whose contributions make up the highest percentage of the weekly collection should approach the pastor in a non-confrontational manner and ask if he would be willing to explore the possibility. If you can’t find a good-sized group, you could always mooch a ride to a Latin Mass (or at least a more reverent one) from a like-minded parishioner with a driver’s license.

When my parish first started heading in the direction of your current parish, a number of the more traditional parishioners left and found more reverent Masses. If you had any way of contacting them, they might be willing to help, too.

Unfortunately, the most important thing you need is a receptive priest. If your pastor doesn’t like the idea, there is little you can do in your current parish to get a TLM. You could still try to let him know that some of the song selections and certain other aspects of the Mass make you feel uncomfortable, but remember to never call a man’s baby ugly. Much of what is happening at your parish might be part of a deliberate effort to make the Mass more accessible. The worst thing you could do is approach your pastor with self-righteous indignation, waving Summorum Pontificum in his face. If you respect his intentions and the efforts of the laypeople who bothered to volunteer their time to help plan the liturgies, he’ll be more likely to respect your concerns.

well, the question is if their priest is qualified to hold the EF publicly?
also, the stable group is so that it will make holding the mass feasible. i’m not sure any parish would want to spend the resources so that 5 people can attend EF Mass weekly. yes, nothing in Chuch Law prohibits that, but in this case its not Church Law thats stopping them

The stable group of committed people won’t necessarily be the only ones going to the TLM. The Latin Mass at a parish near me started with little more than the enthusiasm of the pastor, but there’s a pretty good crowd now. Once the TLM gets started, it does tend to attract a following.

You do raise a few good points: getting the TLM means investing in Latin missals, and many parish budgets are pretty stretched as it is. And as you pointed out, not every priest is qualified to do the TLM, and you can hardly blame priests for having “learning proper Latin for the TLM” rather low on their list of priorities, what with all the other duties they have.

These are completely legitimate points, of course. In this era, most priests have way more than enough stuff to do besides learn the Latin Mass to satisfy a tiny handful of people.

To the OP: the first thing I’d suggest you do is talk to your priest about the issues you’re having with the current state of things at your parish. If your parish is as you describe, it seems unlikely that there would be a significant group of people there who would actually want the Latin Mass, and in the absence of very many such people it also seems unlikely that your pastor is going to start scheduling a Mass that his congregation doesn’t want. But you should talk with your priest: at the least, you have the right to make your opinions known, and for all you know he may have some suggestions for you or be able to connect you with an existing group of people like you at your church or a nearby parish that you just don’t know about yet.

Has anyone ever seen this done in the middle of Mass?

It’s difficult to believe. Afterwards, yes, perhaps, but stopping the Mass to do this?

Indeed. In the article I posted upthread, they mention that it took the priest two years of practicing/learning the Latin on his own in his limited spare before he felt ready to celebrate the EF publicly.

That said, there are ways to get around buying all new missals. Where I go, they have small printed booklets with the unchanging parts in the pews, and pass out papers with the day’s readings and other propers in the narthex before Mass.

That’s a very good point and often times the EF-types are not the most resourceful members of their parishes because they are often “not on the inside” when it comes to their parishes or their dioceses.

When the MP was promulgated our bishop immediately chose several parishes in the diocese that would offer the EF based on their locations and their welcoming of the EF. It was really cool watching the organization at first. The pastor (an OFM) called his mother-house and persuaded them to send down their set of antique altar cards. They did. Someone out of the blue dropped off a copy of the Missale Romano based on a local story in the news. Someone crafted a dozen beautiful kneelers for use with communion. A (biological) father trained his 3 sons to serve. They were ready at the first EF with no learning curve. Things languished after their strong start.

They were never able to really form a schola cantorum or hire a proficient organist for the Mass. The MP is how many years old now? Their Masses are still Low Masses and they seem to be losing members.

Picking up the dropped host (and any crumbs) and consuming it was the right move. There was no need to scub/rinse.

Even when the Precious Blood is spilled, there is no “scrubbing.” Talk about a horrible sign value. The spill is very gently and carefully blotted-up with purificators and then rinsed with water and a final blotting.

“Scrubbing?” Hardly. Certainly not during Mass.

That is actually what is supposed to happen should the precious body be dropped onto a dry surface (which the altar dais should be…). The Minister of Communion consumes dropped hosts immediately, if they are not visibly contaminated; if visibly contaminated, he instead sets them aside to be later dissolved and poured down the sacrarium.

Well, yes. which was why I asked had anyone actuallly seen this process that the OP was so sure was the rule.

I can’t help thinking that any scrubbing would have given the message that the Host had contaminated the floor, not vice versa (and surely given rise to scruples that it had driven any crumbs remaining into the floor or the cracks between the tiles).

We are, after all, talking about a dry object, and being on the floor for only a second or two. How would anything more be required than ensuring all crumbs had been picked up?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.