How far does God expect us to go?

Hi there,

Well, I have a friend who is very mentally ill. He has been diagnosed with a few different disorders. He comes from a Catholic family, and used to practice his faith. Once he got to college, someone introduced him to the practice of magick, which is ultamtely witchcraft. From what I understand, he thinks the spirts are talking to him. He verbally attacks people whenever he feels like it, and he talks complete nonsense. He cries and throws fits like a child when people tell him what to do. He disrespects everyone, including his parents. He refuses to have anything to do with Catholicism. I asked him to go talk to his psychologist about the magick, but he started verbally attacking me. I was afraid, so I began to pray the Hail Mary. He yells YOU'RE FORCING PRAYER ON ME, STOP IT!. I was crying. I didn't know what he was going to do. He could have very well hit me. He's so on edge with his disorders.

The thing is, everyone has given up on him. Nobody is giving him the help he needs to stop practicing the magick. Everyone just thinks he converted to another religion, like he became a Baptist or something. He can and probably will end up hurting himself if he keeps it up. I feel a burden that I have to help him, but I'm extremely scared for my own safety. I read stories about all these martyrs like Maria Goretti and St. Philomenia who endured suffering for God. I don't know if God wants me to go as far as to try to bring my friend to Church. I'm very frightened, and all I am doing now is staying away and praying very hard.

Can someone help me?

Thanks and Merry Christmas
-Jeanne

I think you must have a good deal of prayer said for him, by a number of people.

You have my prayers.

Hi,

St Therese once said that our prayers and sacrifices can do much more than our words. Pray for him as much as you can.. I think it would be best to talk to him when he's more receptive. God bless

This poor unfortunate person certainly needs some sort of help.....not sure whether it should be psychiatric or spiritual. Sounds like a bit of both! If he has been dabbling in the occult then a little assistance from St. Michael Archangel is in order. God would expect you as a friend to use His resources to combat such influences ( I'm reluctant to use the word "possession" here) St. Michael's prayer is "HOLY MICHAEL ARCHANGEL, DEFEND US IN THE DAY OF BATTLE. BE OUR SAFEGUARD AGAINST THE WICKEDNESS AND SNARES OF THE DEVIL. MAY GOD REBUKE HIM WE HUMBLY PRAY AND DO THOU PRINCE OF THE HEAVENLY HOSTS, BY THE POWER OF GOD, THRUST DOWN TO HELL SATAN AND ALL OTHER EVIL SPIRITS WHO WANDER THROUGH THE WORLD FOR THE RUIN OF SOULS, AMEN".......This prayer fell into disuse for a long time but I see it recited on CAF quite a lot now by various posters and this is a good sign that it is being restored to it's proper place in Catholic prayer...You are also aware that providing you are free from mortal sin God will protect you against the darker side but allow for the fact that your friend may be a case for a psychiatrist. May St. Faustina look over you in your dealings with this friend and as we Divine Mercy followers say "JESUS I TRUST IN YOU" Take care my friend.

I have discovered St. Micheal throughout all of this ordeal. He does really good stuff. I have been praying to him and The Blessed Mother for help.

-Jeanne

[quote="Monica4316, post:3, topic:180891"]
Hi,

St Therese once said that our prayers and sacrifices can do much more than our words. Pray for him as much as you can.. I think it would be best to talk to him when he's more receptive. God bless

[/quote]

St. Therese always knows best :)

Thanks for the advice.

-Jeanne

[quote="jeanne71350, post:1, topic:180891"]
Hi there,

Well, I have a friend who is very mentally ill. He has been diagnosed with a few different disorders. He comes from a Catholic family, and used to practice his faith. Once he got to college, someone introduced him to the practice of magick, which is ultamtely witchcraft. From what I understand, he thinks the spirts are talking to him. He verbally attacks people whenever he feels like it, and he talks complete nonsense. He cries and throws fits like a child when people tell him what to do. He disrespects everyone, including his parents. He refuses to have anything to do with Catholicism. I asked him to go talk to his psychologist about the magick, but he started verbally attacking me. I was afraid, so I began to pray the Hail Mary. He yells YOU'RE FORCING PRAYER ON ME, STOP IT!. I was crying. I didn't know what he was going to do. He could have very well hit me. He's so on edge with his disorders.

The thing is, everyone has given up on him. Nobody is giving him the help he needs to stop practicing the magick. Everyone just thinks he converted to another religion, like he became a Baptist or something. He can and probably will end up hurting himself if he keeps it up. I feel a burden that I have to help him, but I'm extremely scared for my own safety. I read stories about all these martyrs like Maria Goretti and St. Philomenia who endured suffering for God. I don't know if God wants me to go as far as to try to bring my friend to Church. I'm very frightened, and all I am doing now is staying away and praying very hard.

Can someone help me?

Thanks and Merry Christmas
-Jeanne

[/quote]

Obtain a "Green Scapular" and return to his apartment (bring him cookies or something)and hide it somewhere. If in the process he speaks of the Green Scaplular that you have and/or are hiding, then the only way this information could have come to him is through an evil spirit, and he needs spiritual help. If he says nothing, then pray the Chaplet of St. Michael every day on his behalf and request the daily intersession of the Holy Mother to reinstate his cognitive presence.
And to answer your question, the choice is yours as to the risk you take. However, with prayer you need not expose yourself to the physical risk, but still call upon the powers of Heaven to assist him.

Would a blessed St. Benedict medal be a good substitute for a Green Scapular?

-Jeanne

[quote="jeanne71350, post:8, topic:180891"]
Would a blessed St. Benedict medal be a good substitute for a Green Scapular?

-Jeanne

[/quote]

They are not the same thing, but it would be very helpful in a case like this too. :)

I’m best friends with his sister, who is equally concerned. Maybe I can get her to sneak it in.

-Jeanne

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.