How Farris Hassan Spent His Christmas Break

Do you know where your kids are?

Via Breitbart/AP:

Maybe it was the time the taxi dumped him at the Iraq-Kuwait border, leaving him alone in the middle of the desert. Or when he drew a crowd at a Baghdad food stand after using an Arabic phrase book to order. Or the moment a Kuwaiti cab driver almost punched him in the face when he balked at the $100 fare. But at some point, Farris Hassan, a 16-year-old from Florida, realized that traveling to Iraq by himself was not the safest thing he could have done with his Christmas vacation. And he didn’t even tell his parents.

Hassan’s dangerous adventure winds down with the 101st Airborne delivering the Fort Lauderdale teen to the U.S. embassy in Baghdad, which had been on the lookout for him and promises to see him back to the United States this weekend…

**“There is a struggle in Iraq between good and evil, between those striving for freedom and liberty and those striving for death and destruction,” he wrote.

“Those terrorists are not human but pure evil. For their goals to be thwarted, decent individuals must answer justice’s call for help. Unfortunately altruism is always in short supply. Not enough are willing to set aside the material ambitions of this transient world, put morality first, and risk their lives for the cause of humanity. So I will.”**

michellemalkin.com/archives/004182.htm

Makes mental note. Something NOT TO DO on Christmas Vacation:bigyikes:

PF

BAGHDAD, Iraq — Excepts from an essay written recently by Farris Hassan, 16, of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., who traveled to Iraq without telling his parents:

There is a struggle in Iraq between good and evil, between those striving for freedom and liberty and those striving for death and destruction. You are aware of the heinous acts of the terrorists: Women and children massacred, innocent aid workers decapitated, indiscriminate murder. You are also aware of the heroic aspirations of the Iraqi people: liberty, democracy, security, normality. Those terrorists are not human but pure evil. For their goals to be thwarted, decent individuals must answer justice’s call for help … So I will.

Life is not about money, fame, or power. Life is about combating the forces of evil in the world, promoting justice, helping the misfortunate, and improving the welfare of our fellow man. Progress requires that we commit ourselves to such goals. We are not here on Earth to hedonistically pleasure ourselves, but to serve each other and the creator. What deed is greater than sacrificing one’s luxuries for the benefit of those less blessed? …

I know I can’t do much. I know I can’t stop all the carnage and save the innocent. But I also know I can’t just sit here …

foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,180145,00.html

This kid’s got guts! :slight_smile:

I heard his mom interview, and she says that when he arrives home he is grounded and they are taking his passport away from him!

My question is how long did she know that he was missing before he was reported? I mean how can she NOT know where her 16 year old son is???

Incredible!

[quote=CinciMom]My question is how long did she know that he was missing before he was reported? I mean how can she NOT know where her 16 year old son is???

Incredible!
[/quote]

He called her when he arrived in Kuwait. He wanted to take a taxi from Kuwait into Baghdad :rotfl:

This young man has it made.

Diane Sawyer interview, TV Movie, Book Deal, Letterman, Leno, College Lecture Circuit.

He needs to get a good agent. Then a good accountant. If he plays his cards right, then he is set for life.

I was just channel surfing and saw him being interviewed tonight. He seems like a nice young man, but definitely sort of naive. His family seems rather unconcerned too. They stood beind him smiling. I don’t know if I could be that happy for the national media if it were my kid.

[quote=Fitz]I was just channel surfing and saw him being interviewed tonight. He seems like a nice young man, but definitely sort of naive. His family seems rather unconcerned too. They stood beind him smiling. I don’t know if I could be that happy for the national media if it were my kid.
[/quote]

There are something seriously “off” about this story. How does a 16 year old kid get on an international flight alone anyways. That’s not allowed… And then this kid got into Kuwait without a visa.

Authorities just found out that the Father actually helped the kid get a Visa to go into Iraq after he was already in Lebanon. The dad said that it was because he didn’t want to break his son’s heart. There’s something very off about this situation.

[quote=bekalc]There are something seriously “off” about this story. How does a 16 year old kid get on an international flight alone anyways. That’s not allowed… And then this kid got into Kuwait without a visa.

Authorities just found out that the Father actually helped the kid get a Visa to go into Iraq after he was already in Lebanon. The dad said that it was because he didn’t want to break his son’s heart. There’s something very off about this situation.
[/quote]

Yeah, I think we will find out as time goes on that the parents were in on it. Otherwise things don’t add up. He will earn a lot of money and fame. He could have died in his efforts but now that he didn’t he will be infamous.

[quote=Fitz]Yeah, I think we will find out as time goes on that the parents were in on it. Otherwise things don’t add up. He will earn a lot of money and fame. He could have died in his efforts but now that he didn’t he will be infamous.
[/quote]

It’s not that hard at all to get on an international flight if you’re 16. Know someone who has a credit card? Just pay 'em a little to help you get the ticket, or yet go to a travel agent. You can even purchase prepaid debit cards where you can purchase your ticket online. He could’ve easily had a friend drop him off at the airport or a taken a bus/car, he is 16 and that’s the age in the US to get a passport. It’s not that hard…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.