How great is your husband/wife?

I just read a thread saying that there have been many comments leaning on the negative side about husbands. I think it would be great to spread some good thoughts about our spouses. :slight_smile: Sometimes it helps to remember the good stuff. (This thread isn’t to discount any personal difficulties others are having with their spouses.)

So, I will start…

I have a wonderful husband who is great with our children. He is their favorite toy. He changes diapers, makes lunch and helps me pick up the house. He is loving and committed and a great spiritual leader of our household. In addition he works hard and keeps me sane (no easy task).

I would marry him all over again. I am a blessed woman.

Now, it is your turn. What do you love about your spouse?

I am not even sure how to answer. After 20 years of marriage, we have reached the stage where life and our marriage are firm and comfortable. We both feel that our marriage gives us the strength and support to be the best we are called to be. I am profoundly saddened when I see marriages break up or see people who have not been blessed by finding their soul mate. I am annoyed when I hear people disparage marriage. Marriage is an awesome institution and a good marriage is a gift from God. I feel blessed.

(I guess that doesn’t address the topic of the thread. Twenty years ago, I was madly and wildly in love with my husband. Over the years, that love has evolved and matured as we have weathered life. We are both different people than we were then, but love and marriage and husband all just keep getting better.)

What a nice idea for a thread. I, too, have been very blessed with my hubby. He is a wonderful, loving man. It is almost a cliche now to say that your spouse is your best friend, but I really mean it. He makes me laugh and lifts me up emotionally.

The most romantic thing that he has ever done for me was when we lived in California. We were woken up from a dead sleep by an earthquake. His first instinct was to place his body over mine so that nothing could harm me. Isn’t that wonderful?He is my hero. I mean that quite literally.

There is also the fact that he looks very good in his uniform. He is in the military and wears fatigues every day. That is a plus.:wink: Man, he looks good in that uniform.:smiley:

We have been married for nearly 18 years. I can honestly say that I love him more now then I did the day that I married him.

My hubby is no saint and neither am I, lol. I am sure that we could write tons of negative threads about eachother. But one of the most wonderful things about my hubby is that, no matter how angry he is at me, he NEVER bad mouths me to anyone (real or cyber).

** I didn’t fully appreciate this trait until I tried it. I used to be really bad for that. But now that I’ve had to consciously avoid bad mouthing him I realize how hard it can be. I think it’s amazing that he has such great control (maybe some of it is finally rubbing off on me?)**

I also love how helpful he is (to me and others).

He is a very spirtual person and stands by his convictions. I can count on him to not be wishy washy about faith and morals.

He is going to be a great daddy. he is so excited about this baby and is very involved with every step. I couldn’t ask for a better husband/father for our baby.

Oh, and he also looks darn good in his military uniform (fatigues and dress)…

Malia

HAHA MIne looks so good in his as well! :wink:

[quote=Feanaro’s Wife]My hubby is no saint and neither am I, lol. I am sure that we could write tons of negative threads about eachother. But one of the most wonderful things about my hubby is that, no matter how angry he is at me, he NEVER bad mouths me to anyone (real or cyber).

I didn’t fully appreciate this trait until I tried it. I used to be really bad for that. But now that I’ve had to consciously avoid bad mouthing him I realize how hard it can be. I think it’s amazing that he has such great control (maybe some of it is finally rubbing off on me?)

I also love how helpful he is (to me and others).

He is a very spirtual person and stands by his convictions. I can count on him to not be wishy washy about faith and morals.

He is going to be a great daddy. he is so excited about this baby and is very involved with every step. I couldn’t ask for a better husband/father for our baby.

Oh, and he also looks darn good in his military uniform (fatigues and dress)…

Malia

[/quote]

It is funny that someone started a thread about this. My husband and I just finished talking about all the threads on here where people are bashing their spouses. One of the many things that I adore about my husband is his ability to make me feel sexy and loved. I have gained quite a bit of weight since marriage and children and he always tells me that I am the sexiest woman on earth and that it doesn’t matter how big or small I am because I am the same on the inside no matter what. He is also very considerate. He calls me at lunch and on his breaks. He works full time and still comes home and helps around the house. He does laundry, takes out the trash, and does just about any other household chore that needs done. We do grocery shopping together and he picks up anything we may have forgotten on his way home from work. He challenges me intellectually. He has a great sense of humor. He is my soul mate. I have never had a friend, male or female, that is so compatible. I can talk to him about things that I can’t even talk to my girlfriends about. We have our ups and downs but we have always been able to solve our problems without any outsiders because he is so rational and reasonable. We are both librarians so he completely understands me when I have a bad day at work. If I have a bad day with the kids, he understands because he watches them on the rare occasions when I work. He keeps me in the professional loop so I can stay home with our girls. If I had to go get a full time job tomorrow, I could because he makes sure that I know of all the latest trends in our field. I could go on forever but I think I will stop here.

:stuck_out_tongue: Well, I thought I’d better weigh in since I’ve said that my husband is not a spiritual leader in our home. Although I intended my op to be more about how I can encourage him, not to bash him. I guess I feel defensive. :frowning:

Sometimes these forums lift me up, sometimes they bring me down. Every time I start a thread, I feel nervous–going to get run over by someone. I guess I should just lurk. :confused:

He is: funny, kind, affectionate, handy, superintelligent, good disciplinarian, good provider, hard worker, open minded, moral, honest, optimistic, devoted to family, tolerant of hormones, helpful, charitable, willing to help others, political conservative, talented archer, well read, well adjusted, balanced on materalism, inclined to deep thought, good father, fun, attractive, good brother and son, strong physically, mentally, and emotionally.

I have more, but those are the highlights. I love and adore my spouse. To tell you the truth, I’ve always secretly felt sorry for all other couples. How could they have what I have?

Because my dh travels on business, he’s sympathetic to me being home w/o him. He appreciates travel and is supportive when I get an opportunity to travel. Twice he has taken time off work (and homeschooled the kids) while I went to Mexico. I got the opportunity to go to Rome for Pentecost and he’s all for it. God willing, when the kids are out of the house, we hope to do alot of traveling together.
----KCT

[quote=JMJ Theresa] To tell you the truth, I’ve always secretly felt sorry for all other couples. How could they have what I have?
[/quote]

So have I! My husband is THE BEST!!. We’ve been married almost ten years, and I am looking forward to many more. He is STILL my knight in shining armor, my confidante and best friend, my encourager, and has an uncanny ability to take any problem I have and provide the clarity I need to make good decisions. I had a lot of emotional baggage, and a few times of intense darkness in our marriage. God always used his love for me to heal my wounds and make me a more beautiful person. He has demonstrated to me a heroic fidelity and he is the reason I am so comfortable and happy in my role as a wife and mother. He brings so much joy to my life, and his hard work and faithfulness in our marriage has rewarded him with a wife who absolutely ADORES HIM!! He is my king and I am his queen and there is a definite sense of unity and oneness between us. He supports me and encourages me in every aspect of my life, and is VERY PROTECTIVE. He is so manly and he makes me feel so cherished and loved that sometimes I just don’t know what to do with that much love, because I had never been loved like that before. I often feel God has blessed me beyond anything I dared to dream for. I have finally stopped pinching my arm. Because of my husband, for the first time in my life … I truly feel CHERISHED.

I wish younger couples wouldn’t give up so easy, and trust in God … He can do anything, especially through the Sacrament of marriage!!

I love my husband because I can be myself around him and he doesn’t judge. I can be the stupidest, craziest person and say the silliest things and he laughs with me, not at me. I love him because he stayed with me when he didn’t have to, when we weren’t married, my parents hated him and tried everything to make him leave me. He stuck with me and here we are, married for a year, been together for 6.5. I love him because he deals with my ever-changing thoughts and opinions and doesn’t judge me when I tell him I want to go to church or read the bible or pray (he doesn’t do these things). I love him because he gives me the contentness that I crave. I love that we can sit in the house in silence, each doing seperate things, but we are still comforted knowing that the other is just around the corner. I love how he insisted we started the tradition of at the table family dinners (even though there are only two of us atm). I love him because he was man enough to bury the hatchet and comes with me to see my family. I love him because he doesn’t let me get away with my selfish arrogance at times and I love how he puts up with my “time of the month (as he calls it)” mood swings (btw, they are brutal) with a smile on his face, and he will put me in my place if they get out of control.

He helps me see the best of me, and helps me change the worst.

I have the bestest hubby in the whole wide world. :smiley:

Yes, he is my bestfriend. We’ve been married 15 years now and we’re just as goofy and playful together as we were when we were teenagers (probably more so).

He’s slept in chairs by my hospital bed side many times due to chronic illness. Not very romanatic but when I was hospitalized for my Crohn’s disease a few years back and miserably sick and weak he was the one who cleaned me up when I the digestive issues that come along with the disease, without comment or complaint. When I had my pacemaker sugery at Mayo (St. Mary’s) he came in the shower with me (might have been romantic under other circumstances :wink: ) and washed my hair and stuff because I could only use one arm (IV & bruised at surgical site).

He splits the homeschooling with me, teaching half our daughter’s subjects and carts our daughter to her activities where it’s usually 99% moms with the kids when I have to work or have been sick. He’s a great dad despite coming from an abusive situation growing up. He’s very loving, very playful and silly. Our daughter adores her daddy. He spends nearly all his free time with his family, we are the most important thing to him (he’s said).

He reads the Bible and we pray together every night as a family. He converted (basically from atheism) in 1997. His spirituality is different from mine but he takes the faith very seriously and faithfully follows all the teachings of the church.

We had our “bump in the road” about 8 years ago and marriage weathered a huge storm but by the grace of God our marriage is better then it’s ever been. We really don’t fight at least I can’t recall any recent memorable disagreements. In all the years I’ve known my hubby even in bad times he has never called my me an insulting name of any kind, and has never swore at me in an arguement. When we have disagreed in the past we stick to the issue at hand and have never turned it into personal attacks.

And last but certainly not least the sex is fantastic.:love: :smiley:

My husband is 100% wonderful. He is everything I ever wanted in a spouse:

a 110% practicing Catholic
a man of character and integrity
a patient and loving man who wants to live out the Catholic vision of marriage and family, loves me, and is considerate and caring

He doesn’t always notice when things are dirty, but he will do anything I ask him, when I ask him. He works hard at his job to provide well. He is very considerate of me and my needs. And, he gives me a shoulder/back rub every night b/c I work at a computer and my muscles get stiff. Wow, what a great guy!

And, he was a great nursemaid through my broken ankle situation.

My husband puts up with me! God knows, not many could.

I am very blessed!

(and he makes me laugh)

My husband rocks.
He is very supportive of our home and marraige. He is positive and fun, hard working and loyal.
He also supports my interests and wants me to be happy.

12 years of marraige going strong!

My Husband isn’t perfect…neither am I…But we can talk about anything for hours on end. (record…5 hrs. one morning…turned afternoon)

…he acknowledges when he is wrong, and is willing to try…We have every relationship book possible…bought by him!

He has got to be the smartest man I know…he can add in his head quickly…(I am a college grad. but still use my fingers)

I love him because he loves me.

I am married to the most extraordinary man in the world! When I met him I wasn’t living a christian life. I also was not Catholic. His family didn’t care for me and mine didn’t like the fact he was Catholic. I fell head over heels in love with this man. He helped me turn my life around and we got married three years after we met. One year later I converted to Catholicism. We get along great and he helps around the house, helps with the kids, plus does all the outside work, and has a full time job. You know, I could stand to lose some weight too but he would never tell me that, he tells me how beautiful I am and that he loves everything about me. He said he loves the way my eyes sparkle when I smile. I thank God everyday that he brought us into each others life. We will be married ten years in May and I still melt when I see him walk into the room and I get goosebumps when I hear his voice on the phone. God is wonderful. I am glad to see that the other women hear think so highly of their husbands too, I am truly happy for you! God bless.

My husband and I have been married for 6 years, and I cannot express how much I love him and love being married to him.
I am so glad that I became Catholic and that he is also Catholic.
We have struggled with infertility and two miscarriages, but the challenges have brought us even closer together. (I didn’t know that was even possible.)
I know that God meant for us to be together. I cannot imagine being with anyone else. I love marriage and wish all marriages were as full of love and peace.
I know that he will be a great dad someday, and we are hoping to adopt through the American Infant program. Please pray that God’s will be done for us.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your stories how God has blessed your marriages!

[quote=ConcernCatholic]It is funny that someone started a thread about this. My husband and I just finished talking about all the threads on here where people are bashing their spouses.

It is great that some people have wonderful marriages but not all of us are blessed in that area. We’re not ‘bashing our spouses’ as you put it, we’re simply looking for a bit of ‘catholic’ advice on how to deal with difficult spouses. I love my husband, but we have a lot of problems. Do you think that I wouldn’t want to say how fantastic, helpful, kind, respectful he is… but do I lie?
Please spare a thought for those of us who WANT marriages like yours… we are trying. Posting for advice on here is to help not to ‘spouse bash’. Its us crying out for help…
[/quote]

I have posted on these forums several times about my husband’s less than wonderful qualities. I have partaken in spouse bashing a time or two. The thread wanted us to share good things about our spouses. If you think I have a perfect marriage, you are mistaken. I consider any negative talk about a spouse or anyone else to be “bashing” for lack of a better term. I am sorry if I offended you or anyone else with my insensitive statement. I found this thread to be uplifting because it forced me to focus on the positive things about my husband rather than to focus on the negative which is what most of us, me included, usually do.

Does your husband have any positive qualities at all? I am sure that everybody could work to find at least one thing positive about their spouse even if it is that he looks cute when he is sleeping :smiley:
[/quote]

After 27 years of marriage I must say we have had many ups and few downs. My husband is the very best husband in the entire world.

He is my very best friend and has always supported me in every way. I drive him crazy with my work like now burning palms for tomorrows Mass and smelling up the whole house or when I have to cook for a large amount of people for a party when someone asked me to help out.

He does all the grocery shopping which I love because I hate to shop. Buys all my clothes and personal items as well even my makeup.

He helps watching our grandchildren and spoils them rotten. He has been the best father husband and grandfather and if he dies before me I am going to the convent with the 12 foot wall cause I will never find another man like him.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.