How has CAF helped you become a better Catholic?

I do think that if you have an issue with a particular poster then the issue is with him/her. Personally I know some people who could be classed as very legalistic, but are full of compassion. The two thing are not, in my opinion, linked.

I do not wish to add to this conflict, so good luck, I wish you well.

It may depend if you correlate legalism and traditionalism as being synonymous. I do not.

If this forum is a hot bed of liberals, I would really hate to see a more conservative forum. :roll_eyes:

This comment is just part of the reason why CAF can be so toxic.

In my experience, he is right about this place being more liberal as a whole than most other Catholic sites. There are still many conservative/traditionalist Catholic posters here, but the proportion of liberal/conservative Catholics is much greater here than other sites. If you think this place is conservative, check out a forum like Fisheaters or r/catholicism and you will see that this place is quite a bit less conservative than other forums/discussion groups. I’m sure there are some more liberal forums out there, especially if you count things like comment sections on websites (NCReporter I’m sure would be more liberal than here for example) but of the ones I have seen this one has more diversity of opinion, and is one of the more, if not the most active Catholic forum online.

Having a good portion of both liberal leaning Catholics and conservative Catholics here is a big plus rather than a minus- in my book, anyways. I hate it when people are always agreeing with my ideas and positions. What kind of lively, edifying dialogues is that?

For the less palatable interactions that occur here. We have the opportunity to practice some patience, humility, and meekness. Such a blessing. :smiley:

I disagree. I love it when people always agree with me. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

In all seriousness, though, the CAF crowd more closely matches my Catholic experience of people who just want to be authentically Catholic without getting swept up into liberal vs. conservative label wars. To me, that’s a good thing. Just looking at this thread, I think there is a whole slew of such posters.

I too am sick of this politicizing of the faith.

Also not all posters are Americans and we have to keep this in mind as well.

I was thinking more along the lines of a not political demarcation zone but more of a theologically minded difference in perspective and attitude towards the church and her teachings. Labels are indeed rather problematic. I’m pleased to be called an orthodox Catholic, but that’s about it.

Every time I see the word “Orthodox” I think for about 10 seconds they are referring to Greek or Russian Orthodox until I realize they’re discussing Catholics.
It’s really a confusing term.

I always get irritated when people try to equate these terms “liberal” and “conservative” in the Catholic realm to the political realm. As someone studying for a Bachelors in Political Science, I can tell you this is very irritating and frankly, it’s not true. The words have totally different meanings in these two contexts, and yet SO many people try to use them interchangeably :angry:

My two cents lol

I have a bit of a background in political philosophy, and much modern usage of the word “conservative” surely has Edmund Burke spinning in his grave.

This topic was automatically closed after 9 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.