How has Higher Criticism effected your faith in scripture?

How has Higher Criticism effected your faith in scripture?

I am reading my first book on the Documentary Hypothesis and it brings me to such a better understanding, but now life became so much more complicated. Honestly, I don’t know how I’m going to put all this together.

Does your faith rest on some academic reduction of the first books of the OT or in your faith in the Godhead of Jesus Christ, His death and Resurrection for our sins and the truths of His Holy Catholic Apostolic Church?
I prefer to read at a level lighter now I have grown past my intellectual pride, and rely on a more childish grasp for His hand rather than useless pondering on constructs fruitless in my final goal.

just serve God in a simple way. leave the many big theories

Well - since I have not knowingly explored this I guess I have to say that it hasn’t effected my faith. At least not that I am aware. :smiley:

I am reading my first book on the Documentary Hypothesis and it brings me to such a better understanding, but now life became so much more complicated. Honestly, I don’t know how I’m going to put all this together.

Better understanding should not complicate life. If it does - can it really be called better understanding? This book may have increased you knowledge a particular outlook on the bible but has this truly increased your understanding?

The way to prevent these things from making your life complicated is to keep your faith simple. Build you life on God and His Love. Seek to live your life by the simple command of Christ that we Love God above all else and one another as we love ourselves.
Do this and all the rest will fall into place.

Peace
James

To me, it makes scripture come alive. The Old Testament was written and edited over a thousand years. What amazes me is the Holy Spirit working through very human authors over that period of time, defining his revelation to them, until it is finalized about 100 years before the arrival of the Messiah (Jesus).

The Documentary Hypothesis is hardly a settled matter.

brantpitre.com/genesis_books_of_moses.pdf

Amen!

Take the good and burn the chaff. That is basically Pope Benedict’s advice.

Just because certain ideas are broached under the historico-critical mantle, doesn’t mean they’re worth anything. Look at it this way: In a hundred years, so much that everyone is SO AGOG about now, will be overturned and laughed at. Look at a REAL science like Medicine. Even they overturn theories faster than you can say Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis! :smiley:

John 5:39 “You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life.”

Forget the scriptures, become one with Jesus Christ and you have fulfilled the scriptures, the law and everything required.

I have bolded your comment Pneuma. Remember what St. Paul teaches; that the Law and Prophets point the way, although they are not salvific in themselves. But do not become trapped (or lead others into a trap) in the false dichotomy of Spirit vs Letter; both are necessary.

After all, Sacred Scripture is ‘God-Breathed’ and ergo from the Spirit.

It makes me feel that a lot of careful inspired writing has gone into scripture. If I’m not mistaken, it is higher criticism that links all the writings together to draw out the sense(s) and teachings.

“You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life.”

Forget the scriptures, become one with Jesus Christ and you have fulfilled the scriptures, the law and everything required.I have bolded your comment Pneuma. Remember what St. Paul teaches; that the Law and Prophets point the way, although they are not salvific in themselves. But do not become trapped (or lead others into a trap) in the false dichotomy of Spirit vs Letter; both are necessary.

After all, Sacred Scripture is ‘God-Breathed’ and ergo from the Spirit.
[/quote]

John 6:63 “The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.”

I have bolded a letter

Question - - - If you “forget Scriptures” how can you know, understand or use that which you have quoted above???

If you “forget Scriptures”, how do you propose to teach someone how to, “become one with Jesus Christ”?

Don’t get me wrong - I think that your point is good at its root - but I think that you seriously overstated (hyperbole?) it.

Peace
James

So you are quoting scripture in order to discourage the regular reading of scripture?

:rotfl: I’m sorry but I couldn’t help but crack up.

“You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life.”

Forget the scriptures, become one with Jesus Christ and you have fulfilled the scriptures, the law and everything required.
So you are quoting scripture in order to discourage the regular reading of scripture?
[/quote]

I thought everyone knew, which scriptures Jesus was talking about and which scriptures the topic is about :blush:

I am now totally confused and feel bad that the OP’s thread has been somewhat derailed.

Dinosaurpaint:

I agree with both Petaro and Sirach2v4; it really depends on what you do with what your taking in. If reading Sacred Scripture becomes merely an academic exercise in order to gain a wider range of biblical and theological knowledge, then I believe your skating a fine line…as it were.

However, if you use that reading in order to deepen your understandings of what the Christ and his Church teaches then you simply can’t go wrong! IMHO.

This is the problem with hyperbole…and why I don’t like it in such conversations. It makes assumptions about what others know and can cause confusion instead of clarity.

I would be interested in what you were truly trying to say in your earlier post and what you mean here by"which scriptures"…

Peace
James

The “Documentary Hypothesis” is about the first five books of the Bible, Jesus referred to them and the rest of the old testament.

OK maybe I’m just dense…but how does this fit with the comment “Forget the scriptures, become one with Jesus Christ…”?

Peace
James

I would like to say use of the higher criticism or the historical critical method has increased my faith. One of the things to observe is that the Bible is written by dozens of men, over a thousand year period, from different cultures, and in different languages. Higher criticism, as well as archaeology, can help us enter into those cultures and truly inform our readings of the scriptures. I have found that my own personal lectio divina has been helped in this way, giving me the tools to have an informed imagination when prayer through passagesk of scripture, most particularly the Gospels.

We should also be aware that the Church encourages its responsible use. The documents Dei Verbum, The Interpretation of the Bible in the Church, and Verbum Domini all encourage its use. Pope Benedict refers to it as an “indispensable tool” in the preface to his first volume on Jesus. All Catholic scholars, no matter if you label them, conservative or liberal, use the method. That includes people like Scott Hahn, the late Raymond Brown and Dan Harrington, as well as others.

There are certainly going to be some excesses and places of disagreement. However, it is important that even within the Church Fathers there was disagreement on some issues. Just take a look at what some of them thought in regards to the end times. So, definitely utilize the best Catholic Biblical scholarship that is out there. There are a number of fine scholars that can be of great benefit to not only your prayer life, but also your intellectual interests.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.