How have you explained the 9 gifts of the holy spirit to your non catholic friends?

How have you explained the 9 gifts of the holy spirit to your friends?

Can you give examples how you have applied them in your life?

As saint Paul said. Regarding the holy spirit. I would not have you ignorance.
1cor14 -25

We have 7. And we, my wife and I, explained them to our children.

wisdom, understanding, counsel, fortitude, knowledge, piety, and fear of the Lord

Can you give examples how you have applied them in your life?

They are gifts of the Spirit and are therefore exercised by habit. In other words, when one goes about the daily business, one uses all the gifts to one extent or another.

For example, when one is having a conversation, opportunities to apply each one of the gifts can come up, all at once. We don’t sit back and say, “I’m going to be wise now.” Since we have been given wisdom, we simply respond wisely.

Another thing, they are not alone. They must be applied, virtuously. In other words, we shouldn’t say, “I’m wise now, therefore, I can’t listen to you.” No.

They must be applied with regards to honesty, prudence, humility, in other words, moderated by the virtues.

As saint Paul said. Regarding the holy spirit. I would not have you ignorance.
1cor14 -25

Amen!

I haven’t. No one has asked me to. Where we live, Catholics are happy being Catholics, Protestants are happy being Protestants and the only ones who want to convert anyone are Mormons and JWs.The JWs are forbidden to come to our door. (We called the local Kingdom Hall and complained about them bothering us. We are on a list of people NOT to visit.) And we see the Mormons while out running errands when there isn’t time to say anything other than “We’re Catholic and happy where we are.”

That’s an interesting approach. And it serves ItS purpose

No actually, I haven’t; BUT I did look them up and would seriously and unapologetically put our CATHOLIC Seven gifts of the HS up against you nine.

Here first are the 9 which I personally was unaware of:

The 9 Gifts of the Holy Spirit

Table of Contents

1. The Word of Knowledge 2. The Word of Wisdom 3. The Gift of Prophecy
  2. The Gift of Faith 5. The Gifts of Healings 6. The Working of Miracles
  3. The Discerning of Spirits 8. Different Kinds of Tongues 9. The Interpretation of Tongues

Here then are the 7 Catholic Gifts of the Holy Spirit FROM OUR CATECHISM

1831 The seven gifts of the Holy Spirit are [1] wisdom, [2] understanding, [3] counsel, [4] fortitude, [5] knowledge, [6]piety, and [f7] fear {AWE} of the Lord. They belong in their fullness to Christ, Son of David. They complete and perfect the virtues of those who receive them. They make the faithful docile in readily obeying divine inspirations.

Let your good spirit lead me on a level path.

For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God . . . If children, then heirs, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ.

Now here’s a question for thoughtful prayer and reflection:

How do you suppose it is that the 7 gifts of the Catholic Holy Spirit has manged to keep the 2,000 year old RCC with just One Faith and 23 churches ALL holding THAT one True Faith] for so long:

And the 9 Gifts of that SAME Holy Spirit has “inspired” to thousands of DIFFERING sets of Christian faiths & churches. NOTING that ALL churches are identified by their very own freely chosen sets of faith beliefs and practices. … All in years?

At the ROOT of this quandary is the issue of TRUTH; what it actually means and what it would seem to mean to non-Catholics.

And out of personal curiosity; is there any significance to the number of them?

Can we discuss this?

God Bless you,
Patrick

The ‘9 gifts of The Holy Spirit’ seems to apply to The Church
The ‘7 gifts of The Holy Spirit’ of the ‘catechism’ seems to be of daily living.

And the Fruit of The Spirit, seem to be with relationships.

Galatians 5:22-23
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law."

The nine gifts seem to refer to gifts given to individuals (some receive this one, some receive that one, etc). I think the Catholic Church refers to them as charisms. The seven gifts are given to all Catholics, infused into their souls in the sacrament of Confirmation.

Well you know more than saint Paul? As he said I would not have you ignorant. Regarding spiritual things

This is what is taught. But most Catholics seem to have missed it in real life.
As moses said in numbers 11-29
The lord wished all his people were prophets.

What you are taught is different than what you can do spiritually

I think you’re a little bit confused on Numbers 11:29: it is Moses who wishes that all the people were prophets, not God. Also, it’s important to see in the context that Moses wanted more people to have the gift of prophecy because it was too much for him to bear alone (he even asks God to kill him in Numbers 11:14-15 because he can’t handle it). God is merciful to Moses and gives the gift of prophecy to a select group of 70 elders, not to everyone.

Today, all baptized Christians share in the prophetic ministry (we are annointed as priests, prophets and kings in our baptism), and that annointing is strengthened in Confirmation and Holy Orders. Remember, prophecy in the biblical sense doesn’t mean telling the future, it means proclaiming the Word of God.

The 9 gifts and 7 gifts is nothing to argue about. The old testiment, in the book Isiah mentions the “seven gifts” while the new testament in the book of Corinthians mentions “nine gifts”. They are both right. They are just different pods of the same fruit. Everything together is called the “fruit” of the Holy Spirit, although some wrongly called it in the plural sense as “fruits”.

It’s the same Holy Spirit that works in the protestant Church and the Catholic Church. I am a Catholic as well. But although we have our differences, we still serve the same One God… The same Father, the same Son and the same Spirit.

May God be glorified. God bless!

Not quite getting what you mean here.

Are you saying that “most Catholics” don’t have any of the nine manifestations of the Spirit that Paul lists in 1 Cor 12?

Or are you saying that “most Catholics” don’t experience the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit? That would make the prophecies of Isaiah a lie, wouldn’t it? (See Is 11:2)

@greenrangerx has it right: Paul is talking about manifestations of the Spirit, and explicitly claims that not all receive all the manifestations. In fact, since “the Spirit distributes these individual to each as He wishes”, it’s quite possible that there’s no one alive today who might be in possession of some of these nine manifestations! However, the seven gifts of the Spirit (as the Catholic Church teaches them) are given to all. (Whether they make use of them is a different story, but nevertheless, the gifts are given.)

Again, not sure what you mean here…?

Yes remember prophecy in the bible since is also what actually happens then and now. So it depends on the people and teaching you have received.
And prophecy of future events is common but not exclusive.
Jeremiah 33-3 call on me and I will show you things that you don’t know

Thanks for your spiritual opinion. Catholics and other denominations . teach scripture what they can not demonstrate.
This is contrary to what
saint Paul taught 1cor 2.
So that your understanding didn’t rest on a commentary.

To the Galatians. Who bewitched you ?
Did you get the holy spirit Baptist from some opinion?

You are right the 9 ministry gifts and the 7 personal gifts are to walk in not argument

And thank you for yours. Mine comes from the Catholic Church. Oh… by the way – Jesus gave all authority to teach to the Catholic Church. Where did he give you authority to personally teach in his name? :wink:

Nice try. I demonstrated from Scripture. If it doesn’t agree with your theological musings, that’s fine. Just don’t try to play it off as if it were a personal interpretation of Scripture which, if I must remind you, is bad mojo. :wink:

Right. Not on a commentary, but on the wisdom which you attempt to preach to us.

I preach what Paul preaches. I preach what Isaiah proclaims. You’re preaching a different gospel. Who bewitched you?

No – I got it from Christ, who gave authority to baptize to His Church. Did you get it from the Church Christ founded, or from a church that a man founded?

Well as saint Paul said. 1 cor 12. I would would not have you ignorant of spiritual anointing to give comfort to people

he said also . he prays that the eyes of your understanding will be enlightened.

It seems like a nice prayer.
Saint Paul has teaching strategy for prayer

THANKS, Well done

God Bless you

Patrick

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.