How Hollywood Favors Adultery and Promiscuity

Print and circulate this
Call the advertisers

How Hollywood Favors Adultery and Promiscuity
Over Marital Intimacy on Prime Time Broadcast Television

I am convinced that Hollywood wants to bring back wife swapping with “Swingtown.”

I am pleased to say that my favorite television show, The Unit, was not listed in any of the examples in the article.

The Unit has an adultery plot, but the characters who are committing this sin are not depicted in a positive way at all. They are depicted as having destroyed their lives and the lives of others.

In a recent interview, the actor that plays the adulterer (Robert Patrick) stated that his character’s sins are going to catch up with him this season and he is going to get into deep, deep trouble.

THIS, to me, is the difference between this show and many other shows. Other shows show adultery and fornication as something hip and cool. No consequences are ever forthcoming; in fact, the characters aren’t affected at all by their actions. There is no concept of “sin” or “wrong.” But on The Unit, the sinful actions result in heartbreak and misery.

If you have never watched this show–Dennis Haysbert, the lead actor on The Unit, was recently interviewed. The interviewer commented that *The Unit’s *upcoming season seems as exciting as 24, and Mr. Haysbert retorted, “24 would be lucky to have The Unit.” (Dennis Haysbert starred in 24 for one season as the President of the U.S., and was killed off at the end of the season.)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.