"How important grandparents are..." tweeted Pope Francis

“How important grandparents are in the life of the family, to communicate the patrimony of humanity and faith essential for every society!”– tweeted Pope Francis yesterday, Wednesday, July 26, Memorial of Saints Joachim and Anne, parents of Mary and grandparents of Jesus, on his Twitter@Pontifex_it account.

Since his election to the Petrine throne in March 2013, the Argentine-Italian Pontiff regularly calls attention to the role of grandparents in the family and in society.

“How important is encounter and dialogue between generations, especially within the family,” he said at Rio de Janeiro on Friday, July 26, 2013. “This relationship, this dialogue between the generations is a treasure to preserve and nourish!” he added, inviting the young people taking part in the Rio WYD to greet their grandparents…

During the General Audience of Wednesday, March 11, 2015, Jorge Bergoglio dedicated his entire catechesis on the family to grandparents. “The prayer of the elderly and of grandparents is a gift for the Church, it’s a richness!” he said. It is also a “great injection of wisdom for the entire human society, especially for that which is too busy, too grasping, too distracted,” he added.

“How lovely is the encouragement that an old man is able to transmit to a youth in search of the meaning of faith and of life! It is truly the mission of grandparents, the vocation of the elderly…

Full text can be read HERE

I do miss my grandpa and grandma

Well said by the Holy Father.

God bless Pope Francis!

If it wasn’t for Grandparents; the majority of my CCD students would not be dropped off & picked for CCD. Or brought to Church for that matter. God bless all Grandparents.

I wish I had gotten to know mine. I don’t remember my paternal grandfather at all. He died of cancer when I was 8. My maternal one died before I turned 16. Neither lived close so even the maternal one was just someone I saw once a year if at that.

I remember my grandmothers more. But the relationship was again kind of distant as we didn’t live near them. And since they were stepparents to my parents there was a kind of coldness. Still remember my German born grandma who was sweet as an angel. And my paternal one who tried to be a grandma to my sister and I. When she passed I wasn’t told til a few days later because my parents ‘forgot.’

I do too. My grandfather died in 1978 and my grandmother in 2001. I find as I get older, I miss them more.

I unfortunately didn’t know my father’s parents (they died before I was born)

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

My grandma died in 2011 and my grandpa died in 2013 my paternal grandfather died when I was three (I don’t remember him) my maternal grandmother died I think in 2012. I did however know my great-grandmother which not a lot of people do sometimes and she died in early 2003. In fact the house my brother lives in was my great-grandmother’s house.

How in the world do you forget something like that?

Dear Adam,

Thanks for your reply. I never knew my Grandparents – all had passed into eternity before I was born. The only one I can vaguely remember as a very little child was my maternal grandfather, who died soon after my birth. Nevertheless I treasured stories my Mom told me, and I almost felt as if I knew my Grandmother because my Mom must have been so much like her. :slight_smile:

May we treasure the good we remember with great thankfulness and pray for them.

Yes, thanks Plunia, I agree.

Pope Francis did well to emphasize the importance of grandparents,especially now that many are often taking on such brave responsibilities, when parents can be taken by war and other calamities – even the heartache of some grandparents seeing their children not being more responsible as they may have tried to teach them.

Please let us all pray for our Families – so much under attack in this world, by the evil one. Mary Mother and Model for the Church Pray for us. St. Joseph, Protector of Mary and Guardian of the Holy Child, pray for us. Saints Joachim and Ann, pray for us.

Thanks for your reply, tawny,

You shared a good reminder of what many faithful Grandparents do! May God bless them and may they continue to do all they can to build up the faith of their adult children and their grandchildren. I hope your parish is doing some form of Adult Faith Formation as well as teaching children. Both children and their parents need to grow in their relationship with God.

I realize some Grandparents can do little when their own children are so influenced by the world and so forgetful of God, but prayer is powerful and when the Holy Spirit inspires us sometimes a word of encouragement at the right time can kindle the embers of faith deep within the heart. Hopefully you can also encourage your students to be a good “influence” at home. “Little evangelizers” can do much to lead their parents back to God. :slight_smile:

I miss my Grammys so much. I have a collection of Grammy Broberg’s and Grammy Bridgeford’s recipes that I am turning into recipe books for free distribution for the family. That way, my Grammys’ memories will live on in their great and great-great grandchildren.

Dear Liturgy_Geek,

Thanks for your reply and for sharing your love for your “Grammys”. I think the the words that impressed me most from the Pope were these:

…“The prayer of the elderly and of grandparents is a gift for the Church, it’s a richness!” he said. It is also a “great injection of wisdom for the entire human society, especially for that which is too busy, too grasping, too distracted,” he added.

“How lovely is the encouragement that an old man is able to transmit to a youth in search of the meaning of faith and of life! It is truly the mission of grandparents, the vocation of the elderly…"

The recipes for cooking are a reminder of how much your dear Grammy Broberg and Grammy Bridgeord loved you and now you are sharing your love as they did. The perfection of Charity is the goal for all of us, and the older we become, hopefully the more we appreciate God’s Love and the love others have shown us because of Him. I often pray as I cook, and I trust your Grammys did too! May we transmit to the young the importance of growing in prayer that we may all grow in Love. St. John Vianney wrote that Prayer is nothing other than union with God. Let us learn from the Holy Spirit to pray always, whatever we do! :slight_smile:

You’d have to ask them. My dad and his brothers saw her and her family as a kind of usurper. I just remember her as a sweet person. When we visited I remember getting a cut on my leg climbing an old treehouse and she insisted on cleaning it. It may sound simple but I was incredibly moved by it even though I was 8 or so.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.