How Important Was Darwin?

The 200th anniversary of the birth of evolutionary theorist Charles Darwin is being commemorated. How do Darwin’s ideas rank in the history of scientific thought?

Darwin is perhaps best known for his work ‘On The Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection’ which put forward the theory of evolution.

The breakthrough in his ideas came in the Galapagos Islands. Darwin noticed that each island supported its own form of finch which were closely related but differed in important ways.

The idea that man has descended from another animal has created much controversy and led to opposition from many groups including creationists.

How crucial are Darwin’s ideas? What do they mean to you? What is his ultimate legacy?
newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?forumID=6048&edition=2&ttl=20090212202555

i voted important.

he wasnt really more than that, because most of the ideas in his book werent original, but had been around for some time.

however he did a good job of popularizing genetics which i think has helped lead to a number of advancements we have today. now they arent all good advancements but i think enough are.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.