How is a convert to answer this question?

My parish’s religious ed program sent home a survey regarding the RE program. One of the questions ask if the parents are baptized Catholics and there is a small blank next to mom and dad where you can write yes or no. So my question is this how does one who converted to Catholicism after being baptized in a protestant church answer this question? I seem to encounter this question frequently and I’m never sure how I should answer it especially when there are no other questions that ask if I’m Catholic.

If you were validly baptized in a Protestant community, then you are baptized. Since you converted (thanks be to God!), you are Catholic. Thus, while you were not baptized in a Catholic Church, you are a baptized Catholic. :slight_smile:

You know, I don’t think I ever looked at the question that way. It now makes sense to me. I’ve always took that question to mean “Were you baptized Catholic?” I guess I was reading too much into the question. (That happens a lot with me. :blush:)

Honestly I wouldn’t have expected a Protestant baptism to hold any merit in a Catholic church… this is surprising to me!

This teaching has been around at least since the Council of Trent. Anyone (even a non-Christian) can perform a valid baptism, if they have have valid form, matter and intent. The form is “I baptize you in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit” the matter is water and the intent is to baptize as the Church does.

Very cool!

[quote="floresco, post:5, topic:199598"]
This teaching has been around at least since the Council of Trent. Anyone (even a non-Christian) can perform a valid baptism, if they have have valid form, matter and intent. The form is "I baptize you in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit" the matter is water and the intent is to baptize as the Church does.

[/quote]

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.