How is baking soda like the artificial sweetener, Splenda?

Those of you who have been PMing me, you know that I have been canning like mad because my garden has been exceptionally productive. So far I have harvested 52 pounds of tomatoes, 37 pounds of cucumbers, 12 pounds of carrots, 3 quarts of strawberries, 2-1/2 pounds of basil, 1 pounds of oregano and 12 ounces of thyme. Plus my mom brought home four flats of blueberries, and one flat each of blackberries and raspberries which were being given away at the local senior center.

All this from one 4x10 foot and one 3x6 foot raised bed.

I purchased a pressure canner and have been using it with great gusto, procesing 95 jars so far. Now this is good because my mom has dietary restrictions

Today, I decided to experiment a bit, which I am wont to do wen it comes to food. I was trying to finish pickling the last of my cucumbers. I love sweet pickles and “bread and butter” pickles and so does my mom. However, as she has to be careful about her sugar intake, I wanted to try something different. I have successfully made sugar-free berry preserves and jam so that is something my mom can enjoy. She also has to watch her salt and I am able to make very low salt stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce and pasta sauce.

I have also developed my own baking recipes for sugar-free pastries using Splenda. Splenda is a great substitute for sugar and nearly always cooks exactly like sugar.

Except when trying to make pickles. :eek:

After adding all the dry ingredients, including a couple of cups of Splenda, I poured the vinegar into the pot to make the sweet pickle solution. As soon as the vinegar hit the Splenda, it started foaming just like it was baking soda. There was no way I was going to let the result of this chemical reaction come into contact with food, let alone eat it. I let this chemical reaction finish, then poured it down the sink. It created some kind of filmy particulate.

Anyway, Splenda is great for baking. It works very well as a general sweetener. However, do not use it for pickling or anything else where vinegar is an ingredient.

From what I have read, the “sweet” part of the Splenda is so potent, only a few tiny grains are needed to equal a teaspoon of sugar. The rest is a “filler” so a person can measure the stuff. Not having a box on hand, I don’t know what those “inert” ingredients would be. You may be able to google it up.

If I microwave my coffee too long, and stick Splenda in it, it will foam up, just as you say.

I am in the midst of canning (spiced grape jam and ginger-grape jam) so I appreciate the hard work.

I also try out new ways of getting around a loved ones multiple food alergies. I was shocked to find out how many ways I could accidentally kill him with soy (the walnuts are more obvious). Soy is in EVERYTHING! Made figuring out a fudge recipe a challenge, as only Baker’s Unsweetened Chocolate has no soy. A friend did find an organic Chocolate bar with no soy, and it was good, but very expensive. I might buy some for Christmas when I make fudge again.

Just out of curiosity, what are you doing with your basil? We had a decent amount until a week or so ago when there was a virtual explosion of basil in our herb garden. I have no idea how much is there now, but it looks like a vast deal more than I was expecting (which is a wonderful, unexpected blessing). I’m likely going to make a huge batch of pesto and freeze it, but I’m open to other suggestions.

I appreciate the hard work ladies, thankfully am past those years, but DD is just getting into the swing of things. She has an abundance of herbs this year, is drying a lot, but for leaves like basil, sprigs of rosemary & tarragon, she spreads them in a layer on a cookie sheet, freezes them uncovered for an hour or 2 so they are separate, then bags them, squeezing the air out. Frozen this way you have what amounts to fresh herbs all year. She is also experimenting with herbs in cooking. GDD is big into cooking, veggies, herbs and having fun with it. She also freezes berries this way, blueberries just now from the farm market. you can also slice your peaches and apples and freeze the slices this way.

forgot to say when freezing the herbs and blueberries this way, make sure they are dry first, roll them in a clean towel or paper towels after washing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.