How is blessed salt made?

I know that holy water must be blessed by a priest to make it holy but blessed salt i’ve been told can be blessed by anyone. It’s not called holy salt, so my question is, can anyone bless salt to make it blessed salt?

It is actually exorcised salt. The priest uses a blessing to do it.

I’ve only ever heard of blessed salt, we received some from our priest a while ago. Is there a difference between blessed salt and exorcised salt?

Not that I know of.

There is a special prayer a priest uses when blessing the salt; I believe it comes from the Eater Vigil ritual rites. Its easy to find here on the Forums. Just use the "search" feature here and type in "blessed salt", review the old threads/posts and there are some weblinks that will take you to the prayer. Print out the prayer and take it along with your box of salt to the priest to be blessed!

[quote="anonymous_in_fl, post:5, topic:334980"]
There is a special prayer a priest uses when blessing the salt; I believe it comes from the Eater Vigil ritual rites. Its easy to find here on the Forums. Just use the "search" feature here and type in "blessed salt", review the old threads/posts and there are some weblinks that will take you to the prayer. Print out the prayer and take it along with your box of salt to the priest to be blessed!

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

Here’s a good reference.

Note that the salt is first exorcised and blessed; then the salt is added to the water.

sanctamissa.org/en/resources/books-1962/rituale-romanum/48-blessings-for-special-days-and-feasts.html

To your last question: only a priest (sacerdos which means presbyter or bishop) or a deacon can do either/both blessings.

Okay so what type of salt should i bring to my priest?

Pretty much any kind you want. I would buy some Morton table salt or something.

How does one use blessed salt?

You can use it like holy water, and you can cook with it, eat it, do what you want with it as long as it’s not sacrilegious or disrespectful.

[quote="aceracerpori, post:8, topic:334980"]
Okay so what type of salt should i bring to my priest?

[/quote]

Regular table salt is fine.

I recall (a while ago) a thread like this and the point was made that iodized salt can corrode metal (like the holy water sprinkler) therefore, I always use non-iodized in church. I also happen to like the larger grains, like the salt intended to be used in a grinder, because they're easier to pinch at the holy water blessing.

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:11, topic:334980"]
You can use it like holy water, and you can cook with it, eat it, do what you want with it as long as it's not sacrilegious or disrespectful.

[/quote]

Thank you.

When a priest friend blessed our house, he scattered blessed salt all around the house and on the 4 corners of the property.

He also blessed each door frame, including the closets, with holy oil, incensed each room (again, including the closets) and blessed each room with a relic of the Holy Cross. :thumbsup:

[quote="Brendan, post:14, topic:334980"]
When a priest friend blessed our house, he scattered blessed salt all around the house and on the 4 corners of the property.

He also blessed each door frame, including the closets, with holy oil, incensed each room (again, including the closets) and blessed each room with a relic of the Holy Cross. :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Now that is a real blessing.

I would DIE if my Priest saw the inside of my hall closet. Also, he would be buried under various sports equipment, winter coats and ‘projects’ if he opened the door. :wink:

[quote="foundmyfaith, post:16, topic:334980"]
I would DIE if my Priest saw the inside of my hall closet. Also, he would be buried under various sports equipment, winter coats and 'projects' if he opened the door. ;)

[/quote]

We had just bought the house and hadn't moved in yet. Our 'avalanche' closet was back at our old place :p

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.