How is it different?

so I posted a little while ago about visiting cohabitating couples and whether or not that was considered participating in their sin, the concensus was that it wasn’t.

but I’m now wondering how it differes from other scenarios of other sins.

for example, if you went to an invalid wedding, it is seen as condoning

or what if someone was trying to commit murder in front of you. aren’t you an accomplice if you just witness it and say nothing?

or if someone lied to another person in front of you, would we be obligated to do something?

can someone help clarify please?

It all depends… U are asking how will God judge us? Well, we are not all judged the same! Because we all have different experiences, knowledge & upbringing. Moses gave the commandments, so most people are aware they should not kill others; as for marriage outside a church: well maybe u r required in their lives to invite them into a church: maybe no one has done that yet for them. Remember Jesus’ words re the old widow putting her last $$ into the poor box: it was less than what others put in, but it was everything to her. Pray that u will not be judged by the One who matters. But of course, you should stand up for what u know is right.

Jesus met with tax collectors, and with prostitutes. Hanging out with someone and going to an event which celebrates their sin are two entirely different things.

This.

I remember one of my theology teachers in high-school talking about weighing the benefits and downfalls of each particular situation. The specific example he used was about a person who cheated with his spouse but one of his friends knows about this. Should the friend tell the person’s wife about this? If he does there’s a very good chance that she might do something reckless, and possibly even commit suicide. Provided that the cheater is truly sorry, and has gone to confession, my teacher said it would be better for the friend to not tell the cheater’s wife about it.

All the scenarios you’re talking about, I think you should weigh out the benefits and risks associated with each single one and then make a decision.

As many people have already told you in all your threads, please talk to your priest/spiritual director otherwise your scrupulosity will continue to make your life miserable.

Why does everyone ignore the three fonts of morality when answering questions on morals?

The Magisterium teaches that an act (a knowing choice of the human person) is moral only when all three fonts are good: intention, object, circumstances. If any one or more of the fonts is bad, the act is at least objectively a sin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.