How is Jesus the light of the world?

Jesus is the light of the world (John 8:12), because he sheds light on the Truth. The Truth is love; and love is God. Love is the only truth, because, true love is unconditional. It will, therefore, never disappear, die or give up on us. On the other hand, friendships, emotions, feelings and attractions are conditional. They can, therefore, vanish, if the conditions are unfavorable. Even matter can disappear into nothing, as it does in the black holes; because, its existence is totally dependent on the forces that hold atoms and subatomic particles together.
God, as the person of Jesus, showed us true love through his teachings, life and sacrifice. He taught us to love our enemy, pray for them and do good to them; if someone takes our coat, give them our shirt as well; offer the other cheek if someone slaps us on one; lend and do not expect it back; be merciful like our heavenly Father is merciful (Luke 6:27-36); give away our belongings and follow him (Matt.91:21); condemn no one (John 8:10); bring healing to those who hurt and betray us; and stay faithful to our marriage covenant even when there is betrayal and infidelity (Mark 10:9 and Hosea 3:1). He brought healing to the sick and forgiveness to sinners. Finally, he showed us the ultimate truth about love, by accepting the most painful and humiliating death on the cross to bring forgiveness and redemption to those who hurt and betrayed him. In other words, he the victim, with his life, paid the price of our offenses, we committed against him.

We live in a figurative cosmos of Darknesses.

Jesus Is HOPE… Like a Light Shining in the Darkness.

Looking at Today toward our Future. He is the Guiding Light beyond the far edge of the Darkness

This takes on tangible Meaning when you’ve Faith

Faith leads to Hope… and “hopefully” the must-do - Charity/Love of our Neighbor in Action
_

1 Like

JOHN 8:12, 10:22-23a 12 Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “ I am the light of the world ; he who follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” . . . .22 It was the feast of the Dedication at Jerusalem ; 23 it was winter . . . .

My wife and I were visiting with a woman who grew up in Judaism (and was and is now a Fulfilled Jew–Catholic) then Rosalind Moss (now Mother Miriam of the Daughters of Mary, Mother of Israel’s Hope).

She was telling us how Jesus fulfills ALL of the Jewish feasts etc.

She talked about the Festival or Feast of Lights or Hanukkah (“Chanukkah”). (Also called the Feast of Dedication – the re-dedication of the Second Temple after Antiochus Epiphanes had defiled the Temple so the Temple then needed re-consecration).

This was in about 353 B.C.

You can read about the Jewish Festival that Jesus had went up to Jerusalem for . . . . in 2nd Maccabees in the Bible.

Anyway. Rosalind was reminding us that there would be Jewish Menorahs (lots of special oil LIGHTS) all over the city of Jerusalem in festive remembrance of the event.

(You can still often see many Menorahs in windows of homes if you have Jewish neighbors)

The Priests only had a small amount of oil to rededicate the Temple back in about 353 B.C.

Not nearly enough oil for the whole eight day rededication (or re-consecration) ceremony.

The Temple Priests elected to proceed anyway even though they did NOT have enough oil.

The priests knew the Temple NEEDED re-consecration after blasphemy had occurred there as the Temple had been defiled (Greek swine slaughter on the altar).

Never-the-less, the oil miraculously lasted all eight days of the re-dedication ceremony (when this was carried out - again in 353 B.C.).

The Festival of Lights has been celebrated in one way or another ever since.

When Jesus was in Jerusalem later in John’s Gospel, there would be LIGHTS all over Jerusalem. The city would be “lit up”.

And WHAT does our Lord Jesus say standing amidst all these lights?

Jesus says . . . “I AM the LIGHT of the world.”

Just stop and consider the contextual implications of all of this.

Absolutely amazing.

Rosalind pointed out how people not raised in Judaism could easily miss this while reading St. John’s Gospel. But it was unmistakable for a Jewish person.

Jesus if the FULFILLMENT of the Feast of Lights!

(Jesus is the fulfillment of MANY other things too of course.)

JOHN 8:12, 10:22-23a 12 Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “ I am the light of the world ; he who follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” . . . .22 It was the feast of the Dedication at Jerusalem ; 23 it was winter . . . .

1 Like

He is a light because he gave us knowledge. Knowledge of true God, of what will truly damn us, and what will truly save us. Without it, we would be lost in the darkness of ignorance.

I recently read the Illiad and the Odyssey, and it gave some insights on how man and the pagan gods interacted. They were jealous, spiteful, capricious, greedy, murderous, etc. We were steeped in ignorance before Jesus. Its no wonder to me that his teachings were a breath of fresh air that immediately converted many.

Festival of Lights… 25 December back when - I think?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.